What is a reasonable time frame for your TA to get back to you?

mysaddlebred000

I have four upcoming Princess cruises that I booked through my TA of 10 years. I have found over the past six months that she doesn't reply to my questions very fast or at all. We just booked three cabins over Christmas and I was very frustrated because I couldn't get my answers right away. When I get around to do some planning, I like to know what I am dealing with and not have to put my files away for days. My wife tells me to be patient but three days is more than enough time I think. She advertises that she is available to clients 7 days a week. I have spent a great deal of money with her. We always have a suite and if we bring the kids or grandchildren, that can be two or three more cabins.

My questions range from

asking her to book a cruise and I give her the ship, date and cabin or cabins numbers we want - I do all the work. I do get upset but have never said anything to her when a cabin is sold before she books it.

Other questions are about flights she has booked through the ship and something is wrong with it.or something that is wrong on the personalizer.

Mainly they are things that I need answered before I can go on with my planning

I don't want to be too specific since I think she comes her.

My wife keeps telling me to tell her that I am upset but when we talk she apologizes for taking so long - always has a different reason and she is really nice and I don't want to hurt her feelings.

So, how long is too long?? thanks

My rule of thumb is 2 working days to at least acknowledge the request. It also depends on the relationship, mine knows I will call her for anything critical, email her for less important stuff. She'll always take my call if she is in.

I say 2 working days because I know she is off 2 days a week. Also, there is always someone in the office to cover her in case of urgency, and in case of emergency I have the owners home and cell number.

I agree with the 24 hour position. IF my TA is out or perhaps on a cruise herself, she'll e-mail me within an hour letting me know that. If it's important she'll have one of her associates contact me.

24 hours should be enough time to at least get an email out to let you know she's working on it. Nice or not she's getting paid to do a job for you. I'd just find another TA. BTW you can go ahead and book you cabins through the Princess site and then transfer them to a TA. I do that when there is a particular cabin I want, especially if it's a cruise that will book up fast.

24 hours. Just tell your TA what your expectations are. She is the one who states that she is available 7 days away. If you inform her that you expect a response within 24 hours then at least both of you are on the same page. If she cannot offer or commit to that level of service then TA's are dime a dozen.

Maybe it be quicker if you book directly with cruiseline. They can give you the answers straight away.

Edited by icat2000

I probably should call her more often but I hate to bother her. I email because I want to give her a chance to find the answer before I talk to her. I do have her cell number but most of this stuff hasn't been that urgent. She does have an answering service and does turn it over to another agent when she is gone.

I seriously have been thinking of finding a new one. I do book many cruises myself online the day the new ones come out and then transfer them to her.

appreciate the replies

You are correct. I do do all the work. And I hate the fact that Princess won't talk to me because I use a TA. She also charges me the same price as Princess - once in awhile her home office has a group rate but not often. And last cruise our cabin cost $20,000 and she only gave me $300 worth on OBC.

I don't need her!!! I need a drink!

I don't need a TA.

Now, just help me tell her I don't want to keep my upcoming bookings with her. How in the heck can I get out of them??? and not hurt her feelings!

24 hours

Also, bear in mind, that the great TAs, those who discount AND give OBC, are often in high demand and have thousands of clients. I have one of these TAs and I am just tickled she knows my name. :) It doesn't hurt that she works pretty hard to get me the best deals.

I probably should call her more often but I hate to bother her. I email because I want to give her a chance to find the answer before I talk to her. I do have her cell number but most of this stuff hasn't been that urgent. She does have an answering service and does turn it over to another agent when she is gone.

I seriously have been thinking of finding a new one. I do book many cruises myself online the day the new ones come out and then transfer them to her. appreciate the replies

I am using a TA for this upcoming cruise for the first time in years. The last TA I used for a cruise (4 back) really messed things up. But I thought I'd give it a go again because I was looking at multiple lines and itineraries. That said, I did all the research myself. But I figured in this case it was better. But in the end I've booked my own flights and pre-cruise hotel and I'm wondering why I am using a TA.

That said - mine gets back to me on the same business day. I would absolutely not be using him if he didn't.

If you're doing all of the research and all of the work, why are you using a TA? Sounds like you might be better off doing it yourself and working directly with the cruiseline. :confused:

If she has so many customers that she can't make you a priority? You might want to find someone who could really use the business.

And here I feel bad taking 2 hours to get back to my clients when I'm having a really busy day! Most of us here are over-planners and we like answers right away. It amazes me how few TAs put themselves in their client's shoes.

I just think how I'd feel if I were excited about booking a cruise and had burning questions!

Your patience, OP, is admirable but you deserve better treatment. ;)

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

In this day and age of high tech (cell phones, computer, email, texting, fax, etc), 24 hours would seem fair. I have a terrific TA. I send her and email and generally she will call me within a couple of hours. Even if I say it isn't urgent. If I leave a voice mail, I also get a quick response time.

She is almost always available and will let me know that if she needs to be away from the office that she will check her emails and phone messages. I have received calls from her on a Saturday or a Sunday if it is urgent.

And to think that I was introduced to her under less than ideal conditions. I am so fortunate to have her as a friend and TA.

As to the why a TA - same answer as always. First, its not all about cruising. Second and more importantly is I depend on her more DURING the trip to deal with whatever comes up, especially when I am out of routine touch like on a ship.

I also use her for my international business travel, and more than once she has had my flight fixed before I even get a cancel/change notice from the airline.

And its even the little things like reminding me final payment is due, or saving me the hassle of waiting on line with Princess for 45 mins to get a price drop.

No, I don't usually get discounts, but that's not why I use her either.

I agree with the 24 hours. I usually email my TA with my request and let her know if it needs to be handled ASAP or at her convenience. She normally gets back to me within a few hours - often sooner - unless I let her know in my email that it isn't urgent.

The reason that I use a TA is to either get a discounted rate on the cruise or OBC from our TA. Like the OP, I do all the work and just have my TA do the booking (and often changes for better rates) for me.

My TA usually gets back to me the same day. Like the OP, I usually know ahead of time exactly what I want. My TA lets me know when he's going to be away from the office if I have a cruise booked. Once I booked a cruise directly with Princess when he did not call me back immediately. That's when I found out about not being able to switch a cruise to a TA after the final payment date.

You are correct. I do do all the work. And I hate the fact that Princess won't talk to me because I use a TA. She also charges me the same price as Princess - once in awhile her home office has a group rate but not often. And last cruise our cabin cost $20,000 and she only gave me $300 worth on OBC.

I don't need her!!! I need a drink!

I don't need a TA.

Now, just help me tell her I don't want to keep my upcoming bookings with her. How in the heck can I get out of them??? and not hurt her feelings!

Perhaps losing a good customer will be disappointing but that really isn't your problem .

If it bothers you , make these the last cruises you use her for. I'm not sure I'd go to the bother

of transferring the booked cruises away from her, but you certainly are entitled to.

Loonbeam,

You hit it on the head. She was always right there when I had an issue on a trip. We are using Princess air for the first time and my concern now is that she may not contact me immediately if there are changes. That seems to be the latest thing with our flights lately - full flights, delayed flights, cancelled flights. Issues like that is really why I use her.

Will she be there for me?? I really think so - that's why I hate to toss her out.

I hate this

Appreciate all the kind replies.

I agree with the 24 hour position. IF my TA is out or perhaps on a cruise herself, she'll e-mail me within an hour letting me know that. If it's important she'll have one of her associates contact me.
Same here. I almost always get a response within an hour or so even if it's to tell me that she'll get back to me.

As for why I use a TA, there are several reasons why I use a TA: advance notice of sales, advance information when new itineraries are released, savings of 10-20% over Princess fares, OBC and other incentives, and finally, an advocate. I can't think of a single reason to book directly.

If your relationship is that good, it may be a simple matter of contacting her and politely expressing your concerns, and maybe setting up something to ensure expectations are met... Always worth a try.

It may be something as simple as she doesn't see the same priorities for things as you do.

Loonbeam,

You hit it on the head. She was always right there when I had an issue on a trip. We are using Princess air for the first time and my concern now is that she may not contact me immediately if there are changes. That seems to be the latest thing with our flights lately - full flights, delayed flights, cancelled flights. Issues like that is really why I use her.

Will she be there for me?? I really think so - that's why I hate to toss her out.

I hate this

Appreciate all the kind replies.

Like you we only book suites and the discount usually runs from 12-15% off the Princess published fares. I also do most of the work pre-booking by knowing the voyage number and the exact cabin we desire but I like to do that.

You definitely need a new TA since you could have saved around 3 grand on your last cruise and still gotten OBC, etc.

Mike:)