Bringing booze onboard?

kekilia

I have researched a lot of threads but not found any clear answers to my question. I know you can bring wine and beer onboard, but can you bring aboard a bottle of vodka? You see, my suite entitles me to five bottles free, but I figured that since I do not drink a lot of hard liquor and I would mostly get one drink midday from a bar or the Terrace Cafe, it might be better to ask for 5 bottle of wine and carry on a single bottle of vodka to make bloody Mary's in our suite. Would that work? I would avoid corkage fees and I would have sufficient wine for the 10 day cruise since the DH does not drink.

I have researched a lot of threads but not found any clear answers to my question. I know you can bring wine and beer onboard, but can you bring aboard a bottle of vodka? You see, my suite entitles me to five bottles free, but I figured that since I do not drink a lot of hard liquor and I would mostly get one drink midday from a bar or the Terrace Cafe, it might be better to ask for 5 bottle of wine and carry on a single bottle of vodka to make bloody Mary's in our suite. Would that work? I would avoid corkage fees and I would have sufficient wine for the 10 day cruise since the DH does not drink.

Yes it will work, you may bring on anything that you like. Oceania treats its' passengers like responsible adults. :D

You should know that with the suite setup you can get top shelf vodka, up to all bottles.

You can choose from a list the wine substitutes, and any O wine from your suite can be sent to a dining venue without corkage fee.

Edited by sitraveler

If you bring on wine/and or liquor...you might want to carry it on...rather than give it to the porters. We had a 6 package of wine bottles...marked as such and pointed out to the porters...and it never arrived in the stateroom aftger embarkation. When I went looking for it ...at Guest Relations...it was there...with one broken bottle. This was in MIA before a T/A. No one was to blame...they were...after all...glass bottles...next time...we will "lug" it on board!!! :cool::D LuAnn

I just read an article on the Cruise Critic website about this. The article lists each cruise line and then has details on what you can bring on board. For Oceania it states 3 bottles of wine maximum - anything else they will confiscate and return to you at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just read an article on the Cruise Critic website about this. The article lists each cruise line and then has details on what you can bring on board. For Oceania it states 3 bottles of wine maximum - anything else they will confiscate and return to you at the end of the cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I do not know what the article said, but I can tell you that I personally carried on 6 bottles of wine two weeks ago on the Riviera without any problem. The security people looked in the bag and said nothing. So I suspect that what is written and what is reality may be different.

As has been said repeatedly, that rule is there in case someone gets obnoxious or obviously violates the rules (such as bringing your wine to a bar). I've never heard of the 3 bottle limit ever being enforced although it's certainly possible that it has.

Mura

Bringing alcohol on board is always a big topic on all the lines, and most, if not all lines have some sort of prohibition - enforced or not - about bringing alcohol on board. It doesn't generally have anything to do with whether or not one is obnoxious or responsible; it's that the cruise lines want you to buy their liquor on board rather than bringing one's own. It's all about business, and they make a lot of money, as do restaurants, on liquor sales. If we were allowed to bring our own liquor on board, it would cut in to their bottom line.

You can bring liquor on board until Oceania prevents it.

Up to now there has been no effort by Oceania to change this policy.

Trust Mura or Stan & Jim to let us know when, and if, there is such a change.

To the poster who quotes what they read on a CC listing- Don't.

Whether they enforce it, which it appears that they do not, is a different issue than the question of what is the stated policy is as written. For some who prefer to bring it on board rather than purchase their alcohol from on board, that's great that they do not enforce their written policy in their cruise contract. However, it seems that one should at least be aware that they could enforce it rather than assume otherwise.

Whether they enforce it, which it appears that they do not, is a different issue than the question of what is the stated policy is as written. For some who prefer to bring it on board rather than purchase their alcohol from on board, that's great that they do not enforce their written policy in their cruise contract. However, it seems that one should at least be aware that they could enforce it rather than assume otherwise.

Is this your 1st cruise on Oceania ???

WE usually take wine or spirits onboard so there is another voice added

As stated until they say otherwise you can take it onboard

Worse case you have spirits to take home at the end of the cruise should they store it for you ;)

Lyn

Yes, it is. I'm not doubting what others have said about the fact that they don't enforce their written policy. All cruise lines have them and some choose to enforce them more than others. It has nothing to do with whether or not one is responsible or obnoxious - a passenger can be either with or without alcohol :) All I'm saying is that to tell someone who that one can bring on anything as a blanket statement, merely because it's happened in the past, doesn't accurately reflect the written policy. It may accurately reflect daily operations, but on any given day one could encounter a the situation where the it's refused and one shouldn't be surprised.

Yes, it is. I'm not doubting what others have said about the fact that they don't enforce their written policy. All cruise lines have them and some choose to enforce them more than others. It has nothing to do with whether or not one is responsible or obnoxious - a passenger can be either with or without alcohol :) All I'm saying is that to tell someone who that one can bring on anything as a blanket statement, merely because it's happened in the past, doesn't accurately reflect the written policy. It may accurately reflect daily operations, but on any given day one could encounter a the situation where the it's refused and one shouldn't be surprised.

As soon as they confiscate someone's spirits you will hear it on CC :D

Enjoy the cruise

Lyn

Oceania let's you bring on all the booze you want regardless of the written rules for whatever their reason is however I am tired of the adult thing. I have seen people with the drink pack drinking by the pool till they could not get up and still being served. My question is if you are dead drunk how do they know whose booze got you that way. If it was what you took on do they come and get it and then sell you theirs? Take on all you want but stop trying to say its because everyone is so well behaved.

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

Oceania let's you bring on all the booze you want regardless of the written rules for whatever their reason is however I am tired of the adult thing. I have seen people with the drink pack drinking by the pool till they could not get up and still being served. My question is if you are dead drunk how do they know whose booze got you that way. If it was what you took on do they come and get it and then sell you theirs? Take on all you want but stop trying to say its because everyone is so well behaved.

Unfortunately there will always be people that drink to excess anywhere

Fortunately for me I have not seen any people falling down drunk on my Oceania cruises ...not saying it does not happen but I have not seen it

I would hope that if they are that drunk management would step up & cut them off being served as they do in bars

On some cruise lines they limit the number of drinks in the package to 15 which is still high IMO

The majority of passenger probably would not drink to excess

YMMD

Agreed - it has nothing to do with behavior. We've all seen perfectly sober passengers behaving badly :)

I also agree with the others who say that if/when they do start enforcing the written policy, we will definitely hear about it on CC. That's the beauty of CC - that we can learn these things before hand. My point is simply that, especially for a newbie on any line, it's nice to know what the actual policy is and then how/if it is enforced and then we figure out how to proceed or not. There are plenty of policies that cruise lines choose to enforce selectively, and that can change randomly.

Take on all you want but stop trying to say its because everyone is so well behaved.

You obviously have not traveled on a Mass Market cruise in quite some time. The bar has been lowered to a point where visible drunkenness isn't even acknowledged as a problem.

My SIL, who like us was a Holland America aficionado of long standing, was thrilled when HAL assigned the Ryndam to Tampa (her new home town) because she dreamed of reconnecting with College girlfriends annually, during what the kids loosely call "Spring Break".

Sadly, after their "second annual" the the entire idea had to be scrapped.

At first, they tried to overlook the extensive upchucking, seasickness can be stealthy, after all, as well as the raucous behavior in the showrooms (the literal throwing of food at performers and fellow passengers).

When adult passengers started to use the corridor outside their cabin as a lavatory, however, all bets were off.

There is behavior, and there is behavior.....:cool:

From our experience the atmosphere is also different from mass market lines. While they do have drink packages which would perhaps encourage being "over served", there are no crew walking around the decks with carts full of drinks trying to sell them and no buckets of beer for sale. Also few if any events that would encourage overindulging, no wet t-shirts contests or beer chugging contests, all of which we have seen on mass market lines.

Yes there is always the exception, either sober or drunk, of obnoxious behavior but it has been rare to absent on our Oceania cruises.