Soot? Which deck? Confusion ahoy!

tbonecopper

I haven't received a cabin yet.... we booked "guarantee" under BZ (Balcony cabin, obstructed, Marina Deck,Lido Deck) , so it'll be luck of the draw. However, I've read a lot of content regarding people with a common complaint/criticism: soot.

What areas of the ship is this a problem on, or decks? I have the opportunity to upgrade category or cabin type... deluxe > mini suite > suite, etc.... but I'm trying to sort out if it'll be worth it.

I know it's somewhat possible they could just upgrade me when we check in, but I'd rather not chance fate.

Edited by tbonecopper

I haven't received a cabin yet.... we booked "guarantee" under BZ (Balcony cabin, obstructed, Marina Deck,Lido Deck) , so it'll be luck of the draw. However, I've read a lot of content regarding people with a common complaint/criticism: soot.

What areas of the ship is this a problem on, or decks? I have the opportunity to upgrade category or cabin type... deluxe > mini suite > suite, etc.... but I'm trying to sort out if it'll be worth it.

I know it's somewhat possible they could just upgrade me when we check in, but I'd rather not chance fate.

Generally speaking, the reports of soot have been sporadic. Some have had issues and some have not. Almost all reports have been on Royal/Regal with Royal receiving more reports than Regal. Almost all reports have been on the aft cabins (the real aft cabins located across the stern). So unless you have an aft cabin on Royal/Regal it is highly unlikely you'll have an issue. I've not seen reports that would identified specific decks as being more susceptible than others.

Generally speaking, the reports of soot have been sporadic. Some have had issues and some have not. Almost all reports have been on Royal/Regal with Royal receiving more reports than Regal. Almost all reports have been on the aft cabins (the real aft cabins located across the stern). So unless you have an aft cabin on Royal/Regal it is highly unlikely you'll have an issue. I've not seen reports that would identified specific decks as being more susceptible than others.

Aha, thanks! Hopefully we won't have an issue. I wouldn't let something like that ruin my holiday, but it wouldn't be fun, for sure.

Now to see what kind of deals I can whip up for upgrades. :D

The reports have been the fully aft cabins, mostly the upper decks and mostly the Royal. The Regal was modified to help alleviate the problem but it's still there, but less. Whether there's soot depends on the wind and ship's direction. Highly unlikely you'll be upgraded to a completely aft cabin when there are hundreds of balcony cabins on the ship.

The reports have been the fully aft cabins, mostly the upper decks and mostly the Royal. The Regal was modified to help alleviate the problem but it's still there, but less. Whether there's soot depends on the wind and ship's direction. Highly unlikely you'll be upgraded to a completely aft cabin when there are hundreds of balcony cabins on the ship.

Don't think the modifications helped much, the aft dipping pool deck was covered in soot everyday. :(

Don't think the modifications helped much, the aft dipping pool deck was covered in soot everyday. :(

How nice....add some intermittent bubbles and you have a new attraction. The La Brea Tar Pit at sea. It may give Royal Caribbean a run for it's money.

Edited by Iamcruzin

We're leaving on Royal in less than 5 weeks - Dophin Aft 730 & 728. Is the soot issue as bad on the lower decks? Booked these cabins more than a year ago and had hoped the soot issue would be resolved. Evidently not!

If you do a search on soot there are many threads....

Here is one.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2102942&highlight=royal+soot

I talked to my TA and it's a $600 increase to go up to a mini suite, MF category.

BZ is on deck 15 - Marina, and 16 - Lido (front). Aren't those also the decks with the lifeboats?

Since we don't have a cabin assignment yet (may not get one until we're actually at check in) TA also suggested I wait it out and if I don't like it, let guest services know and see if we can upgrade after check in.

Or, wait until we get a cabin and if we don't like it, call the TA and see what they can do.

I'm just worried if that time comes, and we get a rubbish cabin, I'll be out of luck w/ upgrading then, due to the staterooms being sold out.

Welcome to the agony of cruise cabin selection, I suppose.

I talked to my TA and it's a $600 increase to go up to a mini suite, MF category.

BZ is on deck 15 - Marina, and 16 - Lido (front). Aren't those also the decks with the lifeboats?

Since we don't have a cabin assignment yet (may not get one until we're actually at check in) TA also suggested I wait it out and if I don't like it, let guest services know and see if we can upgrade after check in.

Or, wait until we get a cabin and if we don't like it, call the TA and see what they can do.

I'm just worried if that time comes, and we get a rubbish cabin, I'll be out of luck w/ upgrading then, due to the staterooms being sold out.

Welcome to the agony of cruise cabin selection, I suppose.

You need to select a cabin and end your anxiety. You don't have to go through this uncertainty you know.

Mike:)

Thanks for that info. This makes things a bit more complicated.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just imagine how complicated things might get at check in if passengers were allowed to switch cabins. Can you imagine the chaos with several families trying to decide if it was worth the upgrade price to switch rooms? And, then try to find your bags.

Now, in truth, your TA said to contact Guest Services which would be after boarding and could be different. Still, what confidence do you have that they would keep a room vacant that is better than the room they assigned to you? Why not give a paying passenger the upgrade? Basically, when you book a guarantee you are saying I'll take a room that no one else wanted. You'll have to decide if the gamble is worth it. BTW, there are thousands who book guarantee's and are perfectly satisfied with the results. Just depends on your pocket book and your preferences.

We were on the Regal last week and spent a lot of time around the aft end near the dunk pool (or whatever you call that small hole of water). Due to my research here on Cruise Critic, from time to time I looked to see if I could see any soot.....not once in the seven days did I see any. While in port in St. Maarten we stayed on board and we were at the Retreat Pool and ended up moving aft on the ship only because the exhaust was blowing over us and the smell got to us....but even then there was no soot. ;)

Happy2Crews, thanks, that's great information.

2wheelin - Guaranteed bookings can net a lower price, yes, but you can still "upgrade" to a higher category or room type that is also guaranteed. However, you may lose any promotions if they aren't offered on the upgrade. For example, ours were $150 OBC for BZ category (balcony) guarantee. If we ugprade to MF, mini suite, I have to pay the full difference, not promotional difference. It's a 50.00 difference, but I get to keep the 150 OBC. (upgrade within a time frame and with availability of course)

Rocketman275, I phoned Princess to ask them the very same question. Apparently, at check in, as you're giving them your ID and such, before they haul away your luggage though, you can upgrade - if there is room on the ship - at the going rate of the room. They just prefer you do it a few days before the cruise date to ensure there's no snags. They also informed me that it could be a huge price difference. Supply / demand, kind of like a hotel. Rates go up when there's fewer cabins or something. That's what they told me, how truthful/accurate it is, no idea. I'm not tempting fate.

Our plan is to wait until Princess assigns me a cabin... that hasn't happened yet. We're still "to be assigned". When we see what and where it is, we'll go from there. We can accept it, and let it be. Or pay to upgrade. At this point, it should be another week or two (we think) to get a cabin assignment. I doubt the ship will sell out. Based on my conversations with Princess and fiddling with the booking system on their website, there are plenty of cabins left in a variety of categories and cabin types higher than the ones I have.

I just have to be patient. Honestly, when I travel, I never use a TA. I've almost mastered Priceline for hotels and flights, so I'm accustomed to being in control of things to a certain point, there are few uncertainties. With this cruise, that is definitely not the case, and it's picking at my nerves. :D

Edited by tbonecopper

I think you've been misled as your luggage is hauled away before before you are actually checked in and issued your cruise card.

At least ours always has been.

Mike:)

Meh, as I mentioned, we'll have dealt with this issue long before sail date. Instead of last minute. I don't know if my sanity would hold up that long.

Edit to say : no disrespect with the "meh". :) I really do appreciate everyone's feedback and input.

Edited by tbonecopper

We were on the Regal last week and spent a lot of time around the aft end near the dunk pool (or whatever you call that small hole of water). Due to my research here on Cruise Critic, from time to time I looked to see if I could see any soot.....not once in the seven days did I see any. While in port in St. Maarten we stayed on board and we were at the Retreat Pool and ended up moving aft on the ship only because the exhaust was blowing over us and the smell got to us....but even then there was no soot. ;)

Well, this certainly contradicts what Colo Cruiser was reporting as it being "covered in soot every day". I guess there are all sorts of variables involved then as to the extent, if any, the amount of soot that actually gets back there.

:D

Well, this certainly contradicts what Colo Cruiser was reporting as it being "covered in soot every day". I guess there are all sorts of variables involved then as to the extent, if any, the amount of soot that actually gets back there.

No variable for us at all, it had soot on the deck for the 12 days of our Med cruise in Oct. What more proof do you need? :confused:

I think that Soxfan Cruiser who is on the Golden live right now said the same thing.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I thought that if you paid the lower price for a guarantee, they assign you a cabin, and that is what you get. If you want to choose a cabin the price is higher and you choose when you book.
I've just literally done this. Booked a GTY, was assigned a cabin after a month, and my TA moved me to another cabin in the same category. The next day, I was offered an upsell for a price, which I declined. The bottom line is that once you're assigned a cabin, you can always change it to another cabin in the same or even a lower category as long as it's available. If your booking is still marked with the default "Will accept an upgrade," you can be upgraded to another cabin.

How much soot depends on the wind speed and direction as well as ship speed and direction. That's why it appears random or inconsistent.

As to your response to Rocketman, you've been given wrong information. Check-in clerks at the counter do not have the capacity to change anyone's cabins.

Also, Princess ships almost always sail full. You may be seeing a lot of availability now but that will change. Princess hasn't yet assigned all the guarantee bookings, which could reduce availability dramatically.

No variable for us at all, it had soot on the deck for the 12 days of our Med cruise in Oct. What more proof do you need? :confused:

I think that Soxfan Cruiser who is on the Golden live right now said the same thing.

I'm not doubting your word. But even when I was on Royal Princess, having seen soot on the aft facing balcony decks below, I still didn't enclounter soot on Deck 17 aft near the smoking section (where the Regal's dipping pool is). It (the soot) falls where it wants to - just like I would see some of it on the jogging track port side alongside the smokestack, and none on the jogging track's starboard side or aft upper decks.