define 'wine' for you carry on allowance on Carnival

ginka

first of all, I am not trying to 'smuggle' anything on board...this is a serious, although perhaps naïve, question...

how does Carnival define 'wine'? I am not a huge wine lover, but do enjoy a glass in the evening, especially if I am on vacation. The fruitier and/or sweeter the better.

There are so many different concoctions our there now that ARE wine based, and that I like much better, but am not sure if they would be allowed as my one bottle to carry on.

Some of the more obvious ones I can think of are the bottle Sangria, Chocolate wine, or even 'strawberry daquari' which is a combination of flavored wine and juices. there are many more... just wondered how they decide if its allowed. I don't want to waste my one bottle I'm allowed on something they will confiscate and conversely, don't want to use my one bottle on something I am not going to enjoy if they would have allowed something different.

I know I can buy drinks on board the ship, which I intend to do--but would like my one carry one bottle as well. (and on a side note...does the cabin steward have access to wine bottle openers and the corkage fees only apply if I am taking the bottle to the restaurant-correct?)

thanks!

first of all, I am not trying to 'smuggle' anything on board...this is a serious, although perhaps naïve, question...

how does Carnival define 'wine'? I am not a huge wine lover, but do enjoy a glass in the evening, especially if I am on vacation. The fruitier and/or sweeter the better.

There are so many different concoctions our there now that ARE wine based, and that I like much better, but am not sure if they would be allowed as my one bottle to carry on.

Some of the more obvious ones I can think of are the bottle Sangria, Chocolate wine, or even 'strawberry daquari' which is a combination of flavored wine and juices. there are many more... just wondered how they decide if its allowed. I don't want to waste my one bottle I'm allowed on something they will confiscate and conversely, don't want to use my one bottle on something I am not going to enjoy if they would have allowed something different.

I know I can buy drinks on board the ship, which I intend to do--but would like my one carry one bottle as well. (and on a side note...does the cabin steward have access to wine bottle openers and the corkage fees only apply if I am taking the bottle to the restaurant-correct?)

thanks!

Interesting questions. Carnival defines it as one 750ml bottle of wine or champagne per adult. It is in a sealed container, I don;t think they will give you a problem. It must be carried on as opposed to stored in luggage. Hopes this helps.

I really don't know the answer to your question but I have question for you. I'm not a wine drinker, I prefer frozen cocktails but I want to take some wine on my cruise in 10 days. I would like something sweet and fruity. Your suggestions would be awesome as I have already wasted my money on a few bottles that I just don't care for . Thanks :)

I have taken the chocolate wine onboard. You may just have to point out the word "wine" on the label since it doesn't look like wine. I am going to take a brand called Wine smoothie next cruise.

Exactly this. Somewhere in the label it will say wine. Good to go. Love that chocolate wine too

Yes you can get a corkscrew from your wine steward. If you take a champagne type bottle (Asti) you won't need one as you just pop the cork, but then it is hard put back in the fridge with the popped cork (unless you consider a champagne bottle a single serve container as I do:D)

I do not drink the sweet stuff but there are many high quality wines with screw tops these days, which is what I have been using. I am sure the varieties that you like will also be available in a screw top bottle. Just easier to deal with in my opinion.

Corkscrews are tiny and so don't take up much space. We travel light but we bring our own corkscrew with us.

The wine we like does not come in screw top bottles.

Yes, you can get a corkscrew from the steward but we don't like to bother doing that.

Yes you can get a corkscrew from your wine steward. If you take a champagne type bottle (Asti) you won't need one as you just pop the cork, but then it is hard put back in the fridge with the popped cork (unless you consider a champagne bottle a single serve container as I do:D)

We actually bought a "wine/champagne sealer" at Target for about $15. Works great. Made by Houdini.

I think as long as the bottle in your carry on is in the shape of a wine bottle it will be fine.

I brought on a bottle of Skinny Girl Margarita in my carry on that looks like a bottle of white wine with no problem.

This is a great idea! I don't drink wine but I love Skinny Girl cocktails! :D

I really don't know the answer to your question but I have question for you. I'm not a wine drinker, I prefer frozen cocktails but I want to take some wine on my cruise in 10 days. I would like something sweet and fruity. Your suggestions would be awesome as I have already wasted my money on a few bottles that I just don't care for . Thanks :)

Wine is so personal but I will give you my 2 cents.... I had never liked wine until I tried a German Riesling. They are normally known for being dry but found one called 'bend in the river'. I buy it from our local liquor store in the German Wines. Very fruity with lime and very sweet.

Someone else mentioned Moscato, I will try that one.

And I too normally like the frozen fruity concoctions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by sistersfirstcruise

thanks!

If it comes in a commercial bottle and it says "wine" on it, it will pass muster. cabin steward can provide a bottle opener and corkage fees only apply in the MDR or specialty restaurants.

Wine is so personal but I will give you my 2 cents.... I had never liked wine until I tried a German Riesling. They are normally known for being dry but found one called 'bend in the river'. I buy it from our local liquor store in the German Wines. Very fruity with lime and very sweet.

Someone else mentioned Moscato, I will try that one.

And I too normally like the frozen fruity concoctions.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Spumante is another wine that some non-wine drinkers might like. It is sweet, fruity, and bubbly. And since it is a sparkling wine, it comes with a plastic cork with a wire around it that can be removed by hand without a cork screw. Very cruise friendly as long as you bring it in your carry-on bag (750 ml bottle). Perfect for celebrating bon voyage!

so just to clarify on this...if I only want it for in my room at nights I don't have to pay the corkage fee? Great deal if so....had to pay the corkage fee on one of the other lines no matter what....

so just to clarify on this...if I only want it for in my room at nights I don't have to pay the corkage fee? Great deal if so....had to pay the corkage fee on one of the other lines no matter what....

Correct. Corkage only if you give it to the MDR and they open and serve it to you in the MDR. You can carry your glass of wine from your to the MDR, no corkage charged.

Moscato d'Asti is something I really like! There are several verisions of wine that say Moscato now, however the ones that say "d'Asti" with them have the bubblier and sweeter taste to them Otherwise any of the fruit flavored ones tend to be sweeter and not have that wine aftertaste. I am still experimenting so don't really have a 'favorite' (other than the Moscato d'Asti, but that is more expensive). The chocolate wine is good for sipping but I believe it is red wine based so you can sometimes get that red wine aftertaste.

I brought on a bottle with my own opener and took a glass in the MDR a couple nights. No one said a word.

Try Relax Riesling. In my area it sells between $8-$11 a bottle. It's really fruity and always a hit when I host a party. It is sold in a dark blue bottle.

If you like super super sweet, then Moscato is a very popular choice. It's too sweet for me but I know people that love it.