Rome Hotel - family of 4 - Recommendations needed

mickeysgal

Needing recommendations for a hotel for a family of 4. Quads, from what I'm finding, are hard to find. We can do 2 rooms if the prices are right. We are 4-5 nights prior to the cruise in Rome (depending on the air we book). Anyone have any solid recommendations without totally breaking the bank? Would love a central location.

For that long a stay, you really should consider renting an apartment. There are lots of them on places like VRBO and you could also check air B&B. If you read the reviews you can find one that will give you the amount of support and guidance you might need if it's your first time in Rome, such as restaurant recommendations etc. And of course a good guidebook is your best friend. As are the Italy boards!

You would want to check out areas that are tagged as close to the Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Largo Argentina, Campo di Fiore if you want to be in the Central area. Trastevere is adjacent to those areas and is also intriguing, although a bit farther of a walk to get the main sites.

That is exactly what i thought, we (family of 4, two grown up children) are stopping in Rome for a few extra nights after the cruise. I have opted for a three bedroom apartment with washing machine. I have found a nice apartment via HomeAway (it was also on VRBO) one block from St Peters Train Station. I have been to Rome a couple of times and have walked from St Peters to St Peters train station, so opted for here as I wanted to spend a lot of time in the Vatican Area this visit.

You might want to consider an apartment near Trastevere or Ostience stations, which are on both the Airport and the Port train lines, so easy to get to either.

I would also suggest looking at an apartment. Quads are hard to come by in the Centro Storico (though not impossible), but since you will be there for 5 nights, I think an apartment might be a better fit for you. There have been some good discussions here in earlier threads on things to look for in a rental and agencies others have used successfully.

Yep. I agree.

We have our 5th visit to Rome booked in less than 100 days and we have stayed in hotels twice and apartments twice with our third booked for this upcoming trip.

Not only will it provide more space for you - and a kitchen but it will save you big bucks !!!!!!

You can check out VRBO.com, Homeaway.com and we have used SleepinItaly.com all with outstanding results.

Look in the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area for the most central location and walking distance to EVERYTHING.

Hotel Campo de Fiori . Excellent location within easy walking distance, Campo de Fiori, Piazza Frnesse, Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Castel de St Angelo, St Peters, Church St Andrea de Valle . Plenty of eateries nearby .

Book direct via Hotel website to avoid paying middleman commissions .

We just booked an apartment for my family of 4 in Rome. I did one for the first time in Paris last year and it went wonderfully. The only thing I would recommend is knowing how to contact them as we had difficulty using our US phone. Knowing how to dial is important. We waited two hours because we needed to have the prefix to dial France and they never got our text.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We just booked an apartment for my family of 4 in Rome. I did one for the first time in Paris last year and it went wonderfully. The only thing I would recommend is knowing how to contact them as we had difficulty using our US phone. Knowing how to dial is important. We waited two hours because we needed to have the prefix to dial France and they never got our text.

We always have our driver (private airport pickup already booked and is the same price as a taxi ) call them on his cell phone while we are on our way into Rome from the airport. They are always happy to do this for us. He usually speaks to them in Italian letting them know we are leaving the airport and our estimated arrival time. It has worked out perfectly for us.

I did that in France and evidently he didn't know what he was doing because they never received a call from us. That is why we waited two hours. We called ourselves and finally got through. Then they were there within 15 minutes. It was out first time renting an apartment so I pass on the how to use your phone tip so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

• 3 weeks later...

if you are staying in a place more than 2 days......an apartment is the way to go. MUCH cheaper, more accommodating, a kitchen, some place to sit back and stretch.....AND, you get to know that local neighborhood. Have been renting apartments for years.....Never had a bad one...Just don't pay ahead of time unless your money is protected...Frankly, I have never had a problem, but I would not go on Craig's list.

if you are staying in a place more than 2 days......an apartment is the way to go. MUCH cheaper, more accommodating, a kitchen, some place to sit back and stretch.....AND, you get to know that local neighborhood. Have been renting apartments for years.....Never had a bad one...Just don't pay ahead of time unless your money is protected...Frankly, I have never had a problem, but I would not go on Craig's list.

Interesting that you say not to pay ahead of time. When we were touring Rome (28 days), I tried apartments, but they all wanted large deposits, cleaning fees, etc. PAID IN ADVANCE. I opted to forego apartments and just used hotels with only credit card guarantee.

Where are you finding apartments that aren't wanting any deposits paid in advance?

We have done apartments both ways…….

small deposit ahead and then pay the balance in cash upon arrival…..

paid ahead - BUT ONLY through a large reputable company such as Sleep in Italy.

We have done apartments/condos/homes directly with an owner and through management companies and have never had a problem :D