Dueling pianos?

bobbie0253

My wife and I just got off the Breakaway on Friday. We loved the Dueling pianos. they are the major reason we only cruise NCL now. We know that even if we don't like the main show that night (ie a very loud Rock of Ages) we will still have a great time at Howl.

Unfortunately the rumor on the Breakaway was that there will be no Dueling Pianos on the Escape

Steve R. from Il

My wife and I just got off the Breakaway on Friday. We loved the Dueling pianos. they are the major reason we only cruise NCL now. We know that even if we don't like the main show that night (ie a very loud Rock of Ages) we will still have a great time at Howl.

Unfortunately the rumor on the Breakaway was that there will be no Dueling Pianos on the Escape

Steve R. from Il

Check out this link :)

http://www.escape.ncl.com/#/entertainment/headliners-comedy-club

• 3 weeks later...
Would my 17 year old be able to join us for the dueling pianos?

Yes . . . and from what I saw, he could go without you too. Depending on your style of living, you might not approve of some of the language after 11:00

Would my 17 year old be able to join us for the dueling pianos?

These things obviously depend on personal taste, but the worst I've that I've ever seen or heard at Howl is the occasional swear word. Nothing that most kids a lot younger than 17 wouldn't have heard many a time.

For about the first hour it is deliberately a lot tamer. Our son (currently 9) loves live music and we occasionally take him there for a while at the start. Nothing inappropriate at all happens then, although it isn't quite as good at the start as both the performers and the audience need to warm up (and have a few beers).

... although it isn't quite as good at the start as both the performers and the audience need to warm up (and have a few beers).

I guess that must be the case. We went last year on the Breakaway and walked out after 2 drinks. We didn't think their voices were that good and their banter was blah. Have seen Dueling Pianos at other venues and liked it a lot more.

Does anyone know if there are dueling pianos on the Getaway? Thanks :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There were 4 shows on our cruise last month, each about 4 hours long. The seats fill up fast, so you may want to come a bit early if you want a good spot.

I guess that must be the case. We went last year on the Breakaway and walked out after 2 drinks. We didn't think their voices were that good and their banter was blah. Have seen Dueling Pianos at other venues and liked it a lot more.

So perhaps I should go at the earlier time as I felt they were rude and obnoxious. I realize each performer is different but one of the guys was horrible about wanting $5 from people and was not funny or fun at all, just boorish.

We heard this also - which is why we booked Getaway instead for NYE!!

Steve R. from Il

This is taking the place of the Second City shows. Maybe on alternate nights they will have dueling pianos? I know the venue is shared by Howl and Second city on BA and Epic.

Is Howl at the Moon on Epic an actual show or just a piano bar like on many other cruiseships.

It's exactly like the Howl at the Moon venues on land. It's a major, popular bar/nightclub chain in the USA. It's not just like a regular piano bar on any ol' ship. Google Howl at The Moon and check out their website, or look at videos on Youtube, and you'll get an idea.

So perhaps I should go at the earlier time as I felt they were rude and obnoxious. I realize each performer is different but one of the guys was horrible about wanting $5 from people and was not funny or fun at all, just boorish.

Until you mentioned it, I forgot that one of the performers was asking for money as well. Just bad form in my opinion

Of course they worked the "wanting $5" thing...Howl at the Moon is a tip-based piano bar. I think that model doesn't work as well at sea, where everyone doesn't realize that, and where people don't carry much cash.

It's how they generally get such engaging, quality players. They make boatloads of tips on land.

Edited by weltek

This is taking the place of the Second City shows. Maybe on alternate nights they will have dueling pianos? I know the venue is shared by Howl and Second city on BA and Epic.

They used to have pics with Howl at the Moon on there. hrmmmmm

On the Epic we did Blue Man, Cirque, Second City and Howl.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first two. Absolutely loved Howl. Went three times.

Thought Second City was a bore. I know it's improv, but it seemed almost scripted. Three sketches and it was over.

See nothing wrong with feeding the kitty or buying drinks for the performers.

It adds to the ambience. If you feel the need to hear "your song" why not pay for it? These guys and gal were working there tails off to entertain.