Prices!

jeanlyon

It's interesting and very fluid, this pricing.

Our cruise on Adonia this April had some Saver fares although Inside was sold out. The Saver fares were still £300 pp more than we paid. Today, there are no saver fares at all and one Inside cabin available at £500 more than we paid.

Actually, have just checked my other cruise as well and there are no Saver fares on there either but there were two days ago. Now it just shows Double OBC>? There are no saver fares anywhere.

Edited by jeanlyon

They seem to be chucking the extra OBC at quite a few cruises now as per the national broadcast campaign.

With regards fare anomalies the cruise I am on in February the cheapest is for an outside cabin, some £300 less than an inside.

I have given up trying to fathom them out.

We have been watching the Adonia Cruise departing 25 April. The Early saver fare for a balcony is 1499 each and the select for the grade we want is £1999 so £500 each more but they are giving a whopping £960 per cabin On board credit. Could we use over £1100 OBC (with our share benefit of £150) Would give it a good try or are we better waiting for the saver fares paying possibly £1299, taking a chance on the cabin and dinner sitting. Not sure but only have until end of month to make our mind up.

We hadn't exoected the OBC to be so much. It says double OBC but no idea how much it was in the first place. The only way to find out is to go through the booking process until the final step.

Decisions Decisions.

I like to see what the prices do. I am very happy with what we paid and even if some people much nearer to the sailing date get a deal it doesn't worry me.

Next year we are going to a long cruise on a Select Fare and grab a last minute bargain in the spring. will be interesting.

We did this cruise up the river to Seville on Adonia in Aug/Sept last year. We loved it which is why we are thinking of doing it again. This time though it goes to Boredeaux as well. I am just a bit concerned about the weather so early in the year.

I had been keeping an eye on Britannia 28th March 15 cruise for many months. The Select Fare hasn't varied at all however the OBC went from £140 per cabin to £320 per cabin and from last weekend to £640 per cabin making it much better value than the saver fare so we booked. Have to say I was surprised given that it is Britannia's maiden season. I'm guessing having there three biggest ships to fill from Southampton this year may have something to do with it.

We will definitely use that OBC on drinks, trips and the speciality restaurants.

I suppose it's easier to give OBC than discount the holiday. And I'm sure they are going to find it difficult to fill all three enormous ships and there will be massive discounts towards the sailing dates.

So far on Adonia, everything is £300-£500 more than we paid, so definitely did the right thing.

I suppose it's easier to give OBC than discount the holiday. And I'm sure they are going to find it difficult to fill all three enormous ships and there will be massive discounts towards the sailing dates.

So far on Adonia, everything is £300-£500 more than we paid, so definitely did the right thing.

So pleased you did the right thing - this time.

My experience is the opposite. Many times I have spoken to people onboard ship and they are very disappointed to learn from others that they have paid many hundreds of pounds more for the same grade cabin. I appreciate the location of the cabin and sitting for dinner is pot luck but being someone who can travel at the last minute and done 20 + cruises I have always found later is better when booking cruises.

I do not want to start an argument but people reading this board should know both sides of the story.

Well it's my 3rd cruise in a row where we could only have done better if we had waited until about 3 weeks before, so I'm quite happy. I think what we pay is very good value. Mind you we always have an inside cabin, because I'm not someone who wants to be in my cabin. I like to be out and about on the ship. With a balcony you can never know whether you would be in shade or not, or on the windy side.

I've had it both ways, sometimes more and sometimes less.

But at the end of the day when you book and pay you must be happy with the price, if not you wouldn't book it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

But at the end of the day when you book and pay you must be happy with the price, if not you wouldn't book it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

There are many elderly people who have no access to the internet and rely on travel agents to advise them. These are the passengers who are shocked to find out the alternatives to an agent and how prices change dramatically.

I have given a few of these people my phone number to help them find the bargains.

So to say you must be happy with the price when you book is true until you find out the savings that can be made.

Hi Aloonie, agree with you on that.:D

Its great to see the P&O prices coming down.

I see on the Thomson boards, that several of them have already booked a pando cruise for the very first time.;

It will be great to see how the two lines compare, from a line like Thomson with their older ships, to a line like P&O with their "newer" older ships.

Hopefully their reports will be that price is not always the best indicator of the quality of a cruise.

We booked a cruise for August on an early saver back in November and then just found out the price (again early saver) had gone down by £360 overall. We cancelled and rebooked. Took the £100 hit for losing our initial deposit but still ended up £260 better off - this will now pay for our coach transfer (which is not included on an early saver) and a few drinks on board.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been on three cruises, P&O, Princess and Thomson. I had booked them in Jan / Feb time sailing in June / July . I found that they had all come down in price one of two months before I went on them . Though Princess did upgrade from obstructed window view to a balcony which was very nice of them. The cruise I want to do this year is at the end of Aug on The Azura sailing to Madeira and The Canaries. I'm thinking of leaving it as long as possible before booking hoping I will get a lower price. My only concern is that I wont get an outside cabin.

We booked a cruise for August on an early saver back in November and then just found out the price (again early saver) had gone down by £360 overall. We cancelled and rebooked. Took the £100 hit for losing our initial deposit but still ended up £260 better off - this will now pay for our coach transfer (which is not included on an early saver) and a few drinks on board.

Hi

Don't forget you now have to pay for shuttle bus too.

That is £4 each per stop I think.

Hi

Don't forget you now have to pay for shuttle bus too.

That is £4 each per stop I think.

It depends. If you dock somewhere where there is no easy transport it is free. We did Bilbao/La Rochelle/Brest/Cherbourg last autumn.

Of the four, you can walk into Cherboug so it doesn't matter, Bilbao is a 20 min drive, La Rochelle is about 5 miles from the town, Brest 2 or 3 miles. None were easily accessible anyway. We got free transport to all three towns despite being on the cheap fares. Some places (e.g. Bruges) the free coach goes to the nearest place of any size, Blankenberg I think.

There is a pdf somewhere which lists whether port transport is peage or not.

i have been on three cruises, P&O, Princess and Thomson. I had booked them in Jan / Feb time sailing in June / July . I found that they had all come down in price one of two months before I went on them . Though Princess did upgrade from obstructed window view to a balcony which was very nice of them. The cruise I want to do this year is at the end of Aug on The Azura sailing to Madeira and The Canaries. I'm thinking of leaving it as long as possible before booking hoping I will get a lower price. My only concern is that I wont get an outside cabin.

That cruise was advertised on Vision TV channel 55 (freeview) the other night from £799.

It depends. If you dock somewhere where there is no easy transport it is free. We did Bilbao/La Rochelle/Brest/Cherbourg last autumn.

Of the four, you can walk into Cherboug so it doesn't matter, Bilbao is a 20 min drive, La Rochelle is about 5 miles from the town, Brest 2 or 3 miles. None were easily accessible anyway. We got free transport to all three towns despite being on the cheap fares. Some places (e.g. Bruges) the free coach goes to the nearest place of any size, Blankenberg I think.

There is a pdf somewhere which lists whether port transport is peage or not.

Our cruise last year had 6 shuttle charges out of 7 stops.

Prices have gone up to cover the post Christmas "freebies", Celebrity have done the same. There are always suckers who think free things don't have to be paid for.

Post Christmas deals ended on Monday. A cruise I am price tracking has dropped by 25% today as the $300 OBC has gone.