Suite Class Restaurant - Luminae

InTheWASide

Michaels Club has some snacks on the Summit but not lunch, they sent us to the MDR, with b2b's. Hopefully this resturant will be open.

I think the rendering is pretty, looking forward to the reviews. Are we getting volunteers for reviews from each ship the first week?

Modern Eclectic....interesting food description.

First two Summit cruises. I've been known to post live from a cruise ;)

And now with unlimited internet, maybe even live from meals? Videos? Who knows! :eek:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

3 days from my last cruise, 45 days to my next cruise, must keep the absolute difference low for sanity ;)

Am I the only one thinking, "1970s Berni Inn"?

Which Berni Inns did you frequent? I never went to one looking remotely like the artist's impression of the new Suite Restaurant. Now, if you said "cafeteria", as my husband did, I would be more likely to agree but, then, the tables would be further apart [but that's probably because the great British public would never sit so close to a stranger]!

Personally having reflected overnight, I do not mind the décor which, I am assuming, will look less clinical in reality than it does in the artist's impression.

What I dislike are:

• the chairs [uncomfortable and difficult to move]
  • the lack of tablecloths [bare tables may just be acceptable at breakfast but not at dinner]
  • the size of the tables [if we had to eat on a table that small, it could well be a deal-breaker for us - which would be a shame because, if we went back to only eating in the specialty restaurant, a lot of the allure of the new suite benefits would disappear for us]
  • the layout of the room [i was hoping for something more like the Olympic-style restaurants on M-class ships rather than regimented rows].

I am just hoping that the reality will be very different.

impression.

What I dislike are:

• the chairs [uncomfortable and difficult to move]
  • the lack of tablecloths [bare tables may just be acceptable at breakfast but not at dinner]
  • the size of the tables [if we had to eat on a table that small, it could well be a deal-breaker for us - which would be a shame because, if we went back to only eating in the specialty restaurant, a lot of the allure of the new suite benefits would disappear for us]
  • the layout of the room [i was hoping for something more like the Olympic-style restaurants on M-class ships rather than regimented rows].

I am just hoping that the reality will be very different.

Sue, I usually agree with you, and I am not saying you're wrong, but it is hard to know if a chair is not comfortable or if it is hard to move, without even trying? Celebrity has said this is not a final rendering, so give them a bit of a chance. Rooms pictures are often not taken with table clothes, we just don't know. We don't love the banquet, but we'll ask to sit on the individually spaced tables. We'll see in 72 days, until then, we can only hope it will be what we all expect it to be.

I'm hoping for more "farm to table" (maybe local port to table) fresh and clean than molecular gastronomy and fancy preparations, as this will be a place we eat at often over time (7 days to a month at a time), and not a once in a while as at home, but we can only wait and see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Sue, I usually agree with you, and I am not saying you're wrong, but it is hard to know if a chair is not comfortable or if it is hard to move, without even trying? Celebrity has said this is not a final rendering, so give them a bit of a chance. Rooms pictures are often not taken with table clothes, we just don't know. We don't love the banquet, but we'll ask to sit on the individually spaced tables. We'll see in 72 days, until then, we can only hope it will be what we all expect it to be.

I'm hoping for more "farm to table" (maybe local port to table) fresh and clean than molecular gastronomy and fancy preparations, as this will be a place we eat at often over time (7 days to a month at a time), and not a once in a while as at home, but we can only wait and see.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenna

Yes, we do usually agree and, yes, I did note CelebrityCruises response about the chairs. I am guilty of repeating myself but I just wanted to add my additional thoughts after the initial ones I posted yesterday! If Celebrity are monitoring the reaction to the design, I would be negligent if I did not state all my reservations especially as we have reason to believe that we are in one of the target markets - i.e. the retention of suite guest who may have been reconsidering their choices.

With the chairs, it was the cantilever design I was referring to when I said they were probably difficult to move. From experience, the rear corners will stick into the carpet if you try to push them backwards. Someone else described, in detail, the difficulty of where to put your arms if the chair design stays the same. Agree with you about banquets.

I have also registered the comments made earlier about not showing tablecloths to simplify the pictures but, both in the UK and USA, we have noted the trend for "better" restaurants not to use tablecloths.

Now I will shut up! We, also, do not have long to wait and see - at least once I find out today why our flights have dropped off our reservation on the confirmation invoice I woke up to this morning. Oh, the joys of booking with Celebrity!

Sue and Jenna

I agree with your comments. The big deal breaker for us is the spacing of the tables for 2. I hope they are not as close as shown in the rendering. As you say Sue, us Brits do not like sitting cheek by jowl with strangers. This is why we like Murano and Tuscan Grill but are less comfortable in Qsine.

We will just have to be patient and await the final result and in the meanwhile Celebrity take note of at least some of our points.

Julie

Looks like Blu with all the 2-tops. My wife won't like it. Unlike a lot of posters, we like big tables. Can't please everyone, but nice try Celebrity.

We like big and small tables, but I don't think I've seen any other comments looking for bigger tables.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Looks like Blu with all the 2-tops. My wife won't like it. Unlike a lot of posters, we like big tables. Can't please everyone, but nice try Celebrity.

If you are speaking of larger tables where you can request to be seated with others, we would love to do this on occasions. It is one of the reasons why we like to do the Chefs Table because, when we eat solely in the specialty restaurants, this opportunity to meet others is not available to us.

However, when we eat as a couple, our huge dislike is having a table that is too small. As regulars in the specialty restaurants we have usually been allowed to have a larger tables to ourselves in the location we prefer. We would hate to have to choose between a too small table in the suite restaurant or a decent sized table in a preferred location in a specialty restaurant.

If you are speaking of larger tables where you can request to be seated with others, we would love to do this on occasions. It is one of the reasons why we like to do the Chefs Table because, when we eat solely in the specialty restaurants, this opportunity to meet others is not available to us.

QUOTE]

I agree. It would certainly be nice to be seat with others occasionally. Although I have found in Blu that the 2-tops are so close together, you can easily have a conversation with your neighbours if you so choose. We've met a lot of nice people that way.

Which Berni Inns did you frequent? .............., then, the tables would be further apart [but that's probably because the great British public would never sit so close to a stranger.

I, like Yorkshire-Pudding am from simple Yorkshire stock and in my neck of the woods anywhere the table and chairs were not screwed down was considered the height of sophistication.

Close together seating isn't a problem for us either. We smile at people on the tram instead of risking someone thinking they are aout to get mugged.

Just a general point about the tables for two. In Cunard Grills, which the new suite experience is (hopefully) going to be comparable with, there's frequently a disproportionate number of tables for two. This means that you might get a "virtual" table for 6 or 8, but with no convention to arrive at the same time or live in each other's pockets. Separation is less than a metre or so and you can choose to either chat or ignore neighbours.

If it's very disconcerting for someone a quick chat with the Maitre d' will fix things on some pretext and I'm sure Celebrity will respond similarly.

My only concern would be if they have the quality of wait staff and M'd's to step up to a proper suite-class dining room.

I, like Yorkshire-Pudding am from simple Yorkshire stock and in my neck of the woods anywhere the table and chairs were not screwed down was considered the height of sophistication.

Close together seating isn't a problem for us either. We smile at people on the tram instead of risking someone thinking they are aout to get mugged.

Ah! the joys of the "North". Us Southerners fear to make eye contact and are experts at non-contact in the most crowded situations. It's just that our Berni Inns were so dark so that we could not see the stains on the carpet or tablecloths! Clearly you spent more on lighting in the North but I guess that was because there was not so much sunlight/:D

My only concern would be if they have the quality of wait staff and M'd's to step up to a proper suite-class dining room.

More seriously, I am expecting to meet up with the better Maitre d's and wait staff from the specialty restaurants in the suite dining room.

Edited by Project_gal

I've been unable to find answers to the following, if there are any:

1. Is there a definitive roll-out schedule for S-class ships, or will they all be done by the end of April?

2. Reservations - needed/required?

3. Opinion - Will there be any point in using the MDR?

Thanks in advance.

1. Is there a definitive roll-out schedule for S-class ships, or will they all be done by the end of April?

2. Reservations - needed/required?

3. Opinion - Will there be any point in using the MDR?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

If you want to dine with friends who are not in a suite you may want to use the MDR.

Edited by Ma Bell

Just booked a CS for 2016... This dining room looks great! Personally, I love the contemporary, elegant vibe. So excited!

To CELEBRITY IF YOU ARE READING THESE POSTS .... Please be sure to have some more traditional fare as well... while I am a foodie, I am lactose intolerant ...lots of us are out there along with other food allergies. And the menus seemed to include a lot of distinct flavors some people may not enjoy. The sample menus looked very continental a/k/a laden with cream and milk, lots of truffle flavors, caviar, etc. For non- foodies OR people with allergies like me, I hope the suite dining Offers a few basic steak, fish, chicken or salad options and some fruit or pie like desserts. Maybe guests could order from MDR menu if the suite menu doesn't work for them?? Right now, there would be very very few options on the proposed menus for a lactose intolerant person like me.

And I second the idea of offering to sit random couples or groups together (at their choice) to make friends!

From Celebrity:

"When does Suite Class take effect?

Suite Class will be rolled-out on each ship effective with the following sailing dates: CS- 4/4/15, EC- 4/12/15, EQ- 4/6/15, IN- 4/13/15, ML- 4/9/15, RF- 4/4/15, SI- 4/5/15, SL- 4/3/15, SM - 4/4/14. Suite Class is not applicable on Celebrity Century or Celebrity Xpedition."

Cheers!

It's amazing how people whine about things they haven't tried. Book a suite, try the restaurant and then come back and tell us how icky the decor is. Oh...perhaps also mention how the food didn't taste like what mommy used to make. Geez!

:rolleyes:

Bingo. I'll reserve my opinion until we actually experience it. We'll be on Reflection, April 11th for the TA.

It's amazing how people whine about things they haven't tried. Book a suite, try the restaurant and then come back and tell us how icky the decor is. Oh...perhaps also mention how the food didn't taste like what mommy used to make. Geez![/i]

It's amazing how people whine about perfectly reasonable personal opinions, requests and suggestions. I thought that was what CC was all about. Talk about unnecessarily rude. Geez!

Edited by Balloon Man

It's amazing how people whine about things they haven't tried. Book a suite, try the restaurant and then come back and tell us how icky the decor is. Oh...perhaps also mention how the food didn't taste like what mommy used to make. Geez!

:rolleyes:

Not sure if you are referring to my post, but for me it is not a matter of food taste. It is a matter of not being sick ... Notably, the Celebrity literature indicates that MDR may not be an option for suites. We are expected to dine in the new restaurant or pay for a specialty restaurant. So, I was just commenting that if this there are 4 appetizer options, and 4 entrees, and all have cream, milk or cheese (as many "fancy" dishes do) I am not able to eat. And I am confident I am not alone, with many people being allergic to wheat, dairy, etc.

Believe me, it is no fun being unable to eat a lot of the food on menus! Dining out can be a challenge and if the menu is limited or French inspired, it is no fun at all! If I could change my allergy, I assure you I would. If I special order, the whole table waits or I never know for sure there is no dairy. So, on cruises in the MDR I often have to order off the "offered everyday" side of the menu with a salad, plain steak or pasta and red sauce.

I was merely suggesting that when considering the menu, Celebrity consider offering alternatives for those with allergies. Or offer someone like me the option to order from the MDR menu. To say this is whining seems a bit unfair.

I hope the chef goes easier on the added nuts in the real thing - as this example menu has specials from Maine and Alaska I do not read it as a complete example.

Although Celebrity are very good at handling nut allergy, it is really hard always to have to commit to your exact meal 24 hours in advance. If there were more nut free choices some nights this ordering right when you've just finished a meal could be avoided. We hope to have this flexibility in the suite dining room