Is setting our carry-on outside our cabin door acceptable?

Christine in MO

I only plan on carrying on the smallest of our luggage pieces with our allowable soda & wine. I don't really care to get into our room early and would be fine with leaving our 1 carry on outside of the cabin door (just like they do our regular luggage). I would just drag it around with me but wanted to eat at the pasta bar and didn't want to have to lug it up the steps on the Breeze. Has anyone ever done this before? Or do you think it would be allowed? I have no desire to see/enter our cabin early and we do not have any tender ports so FTTF seems like a waste of $50. No flames please I just do not think $50 is worth dropping off 1bag an hour early. If it would be an issue I would just drag it around with me while we ate if need be.

I only plan on carrying on the smallest of our luggage pieces with our allowable soda & wine. I don't really care to get into our room early and would be fine with leaving our 1 carry on outside of the cabin door (just like they do our regular luggage). I would just drag it around with me but wanted to eat at the pasta bar and didn't want to have to lug it up the steps on the Breeze. Has anyone ever done this before? Or do you think it would be allowed? I have no desire to see/enter our cabin early and we do not have any tender ports so FTTF seems like a waste of $50. No flames please I just do not think $50 is worth dropping off 1bag an hour early. If it would be an issue I would just drag it around with me while we ate if need be.

If you leave a bag of wine outside your cabin door, it might not be there when you return. :-) Why not set it inside the cabin in the closet?

.....just head to your cabin and drop it off inside. The bulkhead doors will probably be closed, but just be quick and don't interfere with the crew. We did this on our last cruise with some bulky carryon stuff -- car seat, CPAP machine, etc.

I wouldn't leave anything really valuable -- after all, the rooms may not be secured -- but otherwise this is better than leaving them in the corridor.

I would not leave it outside the room door. If I go that far...to the room before they are ready, then I would just put it inside the room, and inside a closet. I just would not leave it outside the door. Too many things can go wrong, ie; a room steward or employee comes along and figures that someone who disembarked had forgotten the bag, so they send it down to the baggage claim. I think I would just rather hang on to it for a while, even though that is a pain. At least you have it. JMO.:)

No flames but if the large doors are not open for non-priority passengers (anyone other than FTTF, Plat, Dia) then you're not supposed to go through them period which means you can even get to your door to leave your luggage in front of it. If your'e going to do that anyway you might as well put them IN the cabin so as to not block the hallway with your luggage. BTW, there is a LOT more to FTTF other than early access to your cabin.

Edited by Out to sea!

Thanks everyone.....We have dropped carry-ons off in the cabin in the past (pre-FTTF). But I figured it was now frowned upon because they want you to pay that $50.

It has always been frowned upon to knowingly break the rules. The current policy was in effect long before FTTF came to being.

The past few cruises we have encountered "Ask Me" crew members standing outside all the fire doors. When we show our Platinum S&S cards, they let us through. But they have stopped others from entering the hallway.

Of course they don't want you to do this!

They didn't want you to do it before FTTF either.

IF the doors are unlocked just go through and leave it in your cabin. Why in the world would you think it safe to leave it out in the hall???

Just about as safe as the cruise line leaving my checked luggage out in the hallway. My flat iron alone in my checked luggage is worth more than 2x what would be in my carry on that I am suggesting leaving in the hallway.

Edited by Christine in MO

Some crew members don't even know about VIP/FTTF pax having early access to the cabins! I've stopped asking and just let myself in, struggling with my walker!

Copyofth_Carnival-VIFP-Platinum_zps41db4d4e1_zps02e438c7.jpg I still cruise for warm chocolate melting cake (with two sugar free vanilla ice creams)

Just about as safe as the cruise line leaving my checked luggage out in the hallway. My flat iron alone in my checked luggage is worth more than 2x what would be in my carry on that I am suggesting leaving in the hallway.

Placing your carry-on by your door might impede the room stewards' movement in the hall. They have carts with supplies, linens, etc.

If you are choosing to carry on soda and wine and don't want to spend the money on FTTF, you should be responsible for your baggage until the cabins officially open to passengers.

If you're going to go as far as to leave something outside your door, I would go one more step to throw it inside my room where it's locked up.

As others have said its kind of frowned upon to do this, but sometimes there's someone there to stop you and sometimes theres not. When we were on the liberty there was nothing to stop people from going to their rooms but the fire doors being closed and a sign being on them. Once you're past those doors you're home free. If you see your steward just tell him your leaving something in the room and you will be away until the rooms are ready. I doubt he will say he has a problem with this. Many many people have done this before whether it's against the rules or not. I don't think your steward is going to say anything unless you plan on staying in the room...

No Flames just some simple logic.

If everyone decided to just leave there stuff beside the door so they didn't have to carry it around until the rooms were ready can you imagine how crowded the hall way would be with items? Add to that the foot traffic. The rooms stewards would never get their work done.

To those that say how is it different than leaving stuff outside on the night prior to debarkation? From a safety standpoint there isn't. However on that night before everyone know which direction the luggage is going. (off the ship) On embarkation day one can only assume that something is going into the stateroom. BUT it could be an item that was found in the room and set out for pickup to go to lost and found.

The simple solution, if you don't want to carry your carry on items around just arrive after the rooms are ready. You will still have plenty of time to enjoy lunch before the safety drill.

If you're going to go as far as to leave something outside your door, I would go one more step to throw it inside my room where it's locked up.

As others have said its kind of frowned upon to do this, but sometimes there's someone there to stop you and sometimes theres not. When we were on the liberty there was nothing to stop people from going to their rooms but the fire doors being closed and a sign being on them. Once you're past those doors you're home free. If you see your steward just tell him your leaving something in the room and you will be away until the rooms are ready. I doubt he will say he has a problem with this. Many many people have done this before whether it's against the rules or not. I don't think your steward is going to say anything unless you plan on staying in the room...

That's supposed to be enough. Why does someone need to be standing by the fire doors? People are going to ignore him/her anyway if they so choose as demonstrated by some of the replies. You don't have to cart your stuff around. Just to one spot. Plop there and wait if you just insist in getting onboard before your room is ready. No the room stewards likely aren't going to say anything. Not when numerous people are doing or folks are flashing platinum cards. Not worth the flack they will get back.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Getting early access to your stateroom is what people are paying the $50 for FTTF. It isn't pay $10 for early access, $10 for early board, etc. Either pay the $50 for FTTF and go to your stateroom or respect the posted signs limiting entry to those permitted. Don't put the stewards in the position of "well, they didn't say anything so it must be okay".

smh :(

If you are platinum or FTTF, go to your cabin and place any luggage inside.

If you are not either of these, don't. Wait until the doors open for everyone.

Otherwise, what is the purpose of the perk?

Edited by evandbob

You can't blame Carnival if you break their rules, but you can blame Carnival if something from your locked stateroom disappears and is not turned into lost and found, the Guest Services desk, security or the deck supervisor.

Why do you think it is unreasonable to open the door but reasonable for an employee to steal? Before you say no employee will risk their job, think again. There have been an unusually high number of reports recently in regards to theft.

Cabins that are not FTTF, Platinum or Diamond are not ready until the signs come down. The unfinished rooms are left wide open. Since the same people who don't believe things like rules apply to them are likely to have little disregard that suitcase belongs to someone else. Some people do and take what they please. If that suitcase looks interesting to them, they will help themselves. After all, they are already where they don't belong.

So what you're saying is people are unwilling to follow the rules unless they are forced to. That's sad that people cannot police themselves anymore.