HAL Ebola Policy

phoebeparker

We contacted our travel agent today to make final payment on our April 22 cruise from Barcelona, and she informed us of HAL's new policy (dated January 17) concerning passengers who have been in one of the Ebola hotspots or who have had contact with an Ebola patient.

Here's what HAL's website says (emphasis is mine):

"We are screening for any passengers or crew who have visited or traveled through Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date and they will be denied boarding. We are also monitoring bookings for any guests coming from these countries.

Currently all embarking guests and ship visitors must complete a mandatory general health screening questionnaire upon embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board.

Additionally we will deny boarding to any guest who has had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola within a minimum of 21 days before embarkation until further notice.

We have robust medical protocols that are consistent with public health recommendations. Our medical staff is fully engaged and monitoring the situation."

So, since our DIL, who is - or was - going to meet us in Barcelona now lives in Guinea, it appears that we will have to cancel our reservation (even though she has no contact with Ebola patients).

As bitter a pill as this is to swallow, I think I understand. Or accept.

We contacted our travel agent today to make final payment on our April 22 cruise from Barcelona, and she informed us of HAL's new policy (dated January 17) concerning passengers who have been in one of the Ebola hotspots or who have had contact with an Ebola patient.

Here's what HAL's website says (emphasis is mine):

"We are screening for any passengers or crew who have visited or traveled through Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea within 21 days of a cruise departure date and they will be denied boarding. We are also monitoring bookings for any guests coming from these countries.

Currently all embarking guests and ship visitors must complete a mandatory general health screening questionnaire upon embarkation and, if deemed necessary, will be asked to submit to further medical screening prior to being allowed to board.

Additionally we will deny boarding to any guest who has had physical contact with or helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola within a minimum of 21 days before embarkation until further notice.

We have robust medical protocols that are consistent with public health recommendations. Our medical staff is fully engaged and monitoring the situation."

So, since our DIL, who is - or was - going to meet us in Barcelona now lives in Guinea, it appears that we will have to cancel our reservation (even though she has no contact with Ebola patients).

As bitter a pill as this is to swallow, I think I understand. Or accept.

I would certainly call and ask for clarification. As your DIL lives there, she is not visiting or travelling through there. They may have a plan in place for residents... While you may have to cancel as you suspect, I would definitely get the info you need from HAL directly.

That is a tough policy but one can certainly understand HAL's motivation. If your DIL is in a position to leave Guinea at least 3 weeks prior to your cruise (and perhaps spend some time in Europe) it sounds like you do have a real problem. Good luck and we hope it works out for your family.

Hank

I would seriously doubt HAL granting you permission. Certainly your disappointment is understandable but it is paramount to protect all from the slightest risk of exposure. Your visit will have to be planned in another fashion. Hope you are able to rearrange plans in some manner. Do NOT accept telephone assurance from any HAL rep. They sometimes are not exactly correct in responses they provide.

I would seriously doubt HAL granting you permission. Certainly your disappointment is understandable but it is paramount to protect all from the slightest risk of exposure. Your visit will have to be planned in another fashion. Hope you are able to rearrange plans in some manner. Do NOT accept telephone assurance from any HAL rep. They sometimes are not exactly correct in responses they provide.

I don't expect HAL to change its position, especially based on my first phone call. There will be more, but HAL has other bigger concerns.

I don't expect HAL to change its position, especially based on my first phone call. There will be more, but HAL has other bigger concerns.

:) You sound most reasonable. No one can ask more. I would certainly be disappointed but life does that to us sometimes.

I've read through this HAL statement several times, and IMHO as long as you meet her off the ship in Barcelona you would not be violating the policy.

You have not traveled through Guinea and she is neither passenger nor crew. She is not a boarding guest.

If you meet her off the ship she is not a ship visitor.

Neither you nor she has cared for or had physical contact with Ebola patients.

Edited by catl331

Is your DIL coming on the cruise with you?

If she is not, and you're only asking about the cruise for yourselves because you will have seen her in Barcelona before you start your cruise, then I can't immediately see why you'd be caught by this policy. It doesn't prohibit passengers from boarding merely because they've had contact with someone else who's been to one of those countries.

I interpreted the OP to mean it was to be just a pre-cruise off-ship visit, not that DiL would be joining them on the cruise.
Me too. But I wonder whether some of the other posters on this thread may be assuming that DIL is intending to cruise, and that if DIL can't cruise then the OP will cancel too.

As I read the policy, those who are not permitted to board are:-

• Anyone who has visited or travelled through Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea within 21 days of the cruise. (It's possible that this is intended to include those who live in those countries and have been there within 21 days.)
  • Anyone who has had physical contact within 21 days of the cruise with a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola.
  • Anyone who has within 21 days of the cruise helped care for a person suspected of having Ebola or diagnosed as having Ebola.

If DIL lives in Guinea but is not cruising, and hasn't had physical contact with or cared for a potential or actual Ebola patient, I can't see how a pre-cruise meeting with DIL would cause the OP to be denied boarding under this policy.

Interestingly, the policy doesn't explicitly prohibit Ebola patients themselves from boarding. But that sort of thing probably only entertains a lawyer's black sense of humour.