Not a good start

ConnCruise

But they start loading the boat when they are. Not real tough to figure out:rolleyes:

Yep, never had an issue with that before (meaning I agree and they don't start loading until they are ready). Also, if they are ready to accommodate Aqua guests they must be ready.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by AlbertaCruisers

Sorry, but these notifications are standard practice now.

Hope you will still be able to enjoy your cruise.

Yep! I had an appointment at my local health centre yesterday and received a telephone call 24 hours in advance reminding me. Personally, I find these reminders insulting and have to remind myself that far too many people miss appointments these days.

What is not understandable is why, with all the modern mobile technology, anyone misses any appointment.

Apologies, rant over. I know my comments are not relevant in this case. Celebrity are trying to spread the load at check-in. I doubt anyone would forget to go on their cruise - nor that Celebrity would worry if they did not turn up.

I don't see why "if you can come at the time they wish that it would be a problem....especially as the ones that gripe most about this notice are the same ones that will howl if they have a long crowded embarkation. So either go when they as ..if you possibly can...or get a suite

Since the majority of CC posters on this topic claim to be ignoring it, get ready for the Airline Response: you must pay for early boarding!

Suggested boarding times are all very well, but when we have to check out of the hotel at a certain time, it really narrows our options. The hotel doesn't really want us hanging around in their lobby with our suitcases, we can't do much sightseeing or shopping in the hour or two before our advised check-in time, so going to the terminal and trying our luck is our best choice.

And I do have to wonder about the passengers coming from the airport on the cruise line transfers. Their flight arrives at 10, the transfer picks them up at 11, but their check-in time might not be until 2. What should they do?

Maybe set up the transfer a bit later and have breakfast....

Also, most WISE travelers come in the day before so as to eliminate the chances of missing the ship due to any problems in transit....they can easily set the drop time to suit the schedule.....

and for those that do not wish to come early..as awareness of the notices becomes more widespread they can perhaps set their arrival time to be in accord with the requested boarding time...OR....don't worry about when you come...come when you want..just don't cry if everyone else comes at that time too, and it takes time to get you onboard.

Suggested boarding times are all very well, but when we have to check out of the hotel at a certain time, it really narrows our options. The hotel doesn't really want us hanging around in their lobby with our suitcases, we can't do much sightseeing or shopping in the hour or two before our advised check-in time, so going to the terminal and trying our luck is our best choice.

And I do have to wonder about the passengers coming from the airport on the cruise line transfers. Their flight arrives at 10, the transfer picks them up at 11, but their check-in time might not be until 2. What should they do?

Edited by LabGuy64

And this is why I don't have texting enabled on my phone. ;)

I hear you. I'm almost 60, so I use it just a little, type with one finger, mainly now as an easy way to share images.

But the disembodied phone message was the best. And I got two of those!

Edited by ConnCruise

Well, as I said earlier, I sure hope this doesn't dampen your enthusiasm for your cruise. Go and have a great time!!

Not at all.

I just come here for fun. (but some folks here get a bit charged up :))

I've never had a bad cruise. If its in my power, I won't this time either.

But they start loading the boat when they are. Not real tough to figure out:rolleyes:

I for one and probably one of the few overall think the staggered boarding is an excellent idea. There is absolutely no room for another person in the buffet area and the boarding process thus far has allowed masses of people on at the same time and the large majority go to one place first. Plus thats where they tell you to go.

That is an area we avoid, it is simply not to our liking to be in that sort of chaotic atmosphere. If the change in the boarding process alleviates some of that back-up, (and all all those rolls-ons that encumber) I am all for it.

Many complain about the buffet day of boarding. Here's a solution to improve it. The change may not be so pointed to slowing ones boading down as it is to improve ciricualtion in what instantly becomes an undersized venue.

Edited by MizDemeanor

This is my 13 or 14th cruise,

Don't remember having a bad time on embarkation yet. Had to wait in the terminal at most for an hour. All the cruise lines seem to know how to do this

Is there some sort of new chaos??

We have never had a problem either. Sometimes the check in process takes a little while, but nothing terrible. Maybe X wants to reduce those employees from 12 to 5. Reduce the entire check in staff from 50 to 20. Staggering check in would help.

But, people book flights months in advance, and every now and then flights are delayed. We have had an airline agent put us on an earlier flight. What if your flight arrives at 2:30, and your check in time is 11:30?

Will X now start assigning a check in time when the cruise is booked? Will they expect people to fly in day early to make their assigned check in time?

Will people who arrive early be allowed to have their luggage accepted and stored by the cruise line like hotels do when you arrive early? Even that will require $$$ cab fare unless X accepts early arriving luggage at the air port.

FWIW, we have always checked in and made our way to a quite area of the ship to relax, not the buffet. There are many uncrowded areas on the ship with comfortable furniture.

Although this discussion is about X this could be any cruise line. X is still our favorite cruise line. Our last cruise was the recent Equinox TA. We discovered that at this point in our lives we are not TA people, but we had no complaints about X. None

I for one and probably one of the few overall think the staggered boarding is an excellent idea. There is absolutely no room for another person in the buffet area and the boarding process thus far has allowed masses of people on at the same time and the large majority go to one place first. Plus thats where they tell you to go.

That is an area we avoid, it is simply not to our liking to be in that sort of chaotic atmosphere. If the change in the boarding process alleviates some of that back-up, (and all all those rolls-ons that encumber) I am all for it.

Many complain about the buffet day of boarding. Here's a solution to improve it. The change may not be so pointed to slowing ones boading down as it is to improve ciricualtion in what instantly becomes an undersized venue.

Or do like some of us do and have a nice, quiet lunch in Bistro on Five, or the Porch on some ships.

Oh, wait! I forgot. It costs a few dollars, so we must be fools for paying for a quiet, relaxed lunch when we can get it for "free" in the crowded, chaotic, noisy buffet. :D

Using the buffet situation as a justification for staggered boarding is quite a stretch of the imagination. ;)

Edited by SantaFeFan

OMG I think the staggered boarding is a fine idea if one is able to do it. They do know that many will disregard this notice, but if it slows things down a bit that is great. If you fly in the day before, most hotels will hold your luggage until you are ready to go. We did that last year, went out for a leisurely brunch, picked up some last minute stuff, returned to the hotel and arrived at the port at about 1:30. Embarkation was a breeze, walked right up to the counter and in 10 minutes was on the ship. One good thing is you have eaten and don't have to brave the Oceanview Cafe until it is quiet, our rooms were ready. Worked well for us and our group of 8.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Or do like some of us do and have a nice, quiet lunch in Bistro on Five, or the Porch on some ships.

Oh, wait! I forgot. It costs a few dollars, so we must be fools for paying for a quiet, relaxed lunch when we can get it for "free" in the crowded, chaotic, noisy buffet. :D

Using the buffet situation as a justification for staggered boarding is quite a stretch of the imagination. ;)

A staggered boarding ultimately provides a better flow of passengers into the buffet. The moment you are on-boarded you are asked to enjoy the buffet.

It doesn't take much imagination to on-board a more regulated quantity and flow of passengers and either by intention or as a favorable consequence provide those directed into the buffet with a place to actually sit down and eat.

Maybe the days of what's the earliest can I get on board are coming to an end.

People who use the argument "My hotel makes me leave at 11 so I have no choice but board at noon", how do they handle a 3 or 4pm flight home when the hotel kicks them out.

Heck how do they handle things when Celebrity makes them leave ship by 9:30 am in San Juan, when lots of return flights don't depart till 3 pm.

Or the argument "I would have booked a later flight" as if most airports have flights leaving every hour on the hour for the ports.

All we're talking hiere is a process over 3-4 hours time. Moving thousands of people thru the chokepoints of the ports is a big ordeal, if all would participate it'd go far smoother for everyone.

Edited by cle-guy

I have another take on this. We have all bemoaned the fact that "preferred boarding" or whatever they call it, on CC and AQ doesn't mean anything in reality. If you look at the list of boarding times, it is obvious that the higher decks get the earliest times. So, for those to whom this is important, it can be an incentive to book a higher category cabin, OR maybe this is the start of a new profit center of paying an extra fee for "early boarding".

For those of us who have to fly in the day before and stay at a local hotel, if your boarding time isn't until 2:30, it seems a shame to have to sit around in your hotel lobby or try to busy yourself aimlessly in your port town while you COULD be enjoying yourself aboard, relaxing and settling in to your new new home. . .maybe even spending money at Bistro on 5 or buying that first piña colada. . .

I'm not sure I understand the "this is impossible because my hotel kicks me out at x hours, what will I do" complaint.

If you're ever travelling long haul, especially the far east travelling back to Europe your flight usually leaves very late at night, the hotel will usually ask you to vacate your room by noon. Any decent hotel will allow you to use their facilities whilst you await your onward travel arrangements later that day. From storing your luggage to sometimes even extending your check out time (with or without a fee).

If you booked your hotel through Celebrity then perhaps your complaint is stronger.

I am quite amazed at the number of Boarding-Time police that Celebrity has working for them on this forum. I certainly hope Celebrity is paying you well. With all the effort you are expended to police everyone else, if you aren't getting paid you are being taken advantage of big time by Celebrity's corporate management! :D

Edited by sloopsailor

We called X, they said its due to construction in port of Miami. the rep also said that they were adhering strictly to the times for each deck.

So is this notice strict? Or really just a suggestion to reduce congestion?

LOL, not at you, but at the X phone rep. I suppose they will leave those who show up late at the pier.

And most certainly those folks on the other side of the desk will stand around gossiping with no one in line, but potential cruisers waiting for their assigned time.

Oh well!😐

Just got off the Jan 4th Eclipse 2 week cruise (Port Miami)

Yes, we received the text message on Saturday. AQ Stateroom cruisers

EMBARKATION...........

* Privately hired vehicle arrived at the port - 12:15PM. (we live 25 mins away)

* Dumped the luggage and joined a slow moving long line to enter the terminal building (15 mins).

* After a passport check, joined another line for the port security scan (5 mins)

* Entered the arrival hall, directed to appropriate line, waited 15 mins until meeting an agent, check-in took 5-6 mins.

* Upon receiving our SeaPass' walked directly onto the ship and while sipping a little welcoming champagne the announcement was made about staterooms being ready. (1:00PM)

DISEMBARKING......

****Everyone must be out of their staterooms by 8:00AM*********

We had luggage tags numbered 10 which the schedule stated we should expect to leave the ship around 8:05. Did not happen. Ship announced that due to Immigration Staff shortages the lines in the terminal were very long. (I believe 7 ships were docked) At 8:45 we were called. Found the bags, joined a long "moving" line (there were 2) for CBP. Arrived at the departure curb (also the arrival curb) at 9:30.

Placed a call to Super Shuttle to pick us up. Waited 1 hour. (They had their problems too) :mad:

Now it's 10:30 and the flood of arrivals for the next cruise is in full swing.

Very long slow moving lines exist to enter the terminal building.

But wait, a flood of disembarking "guests" are still leaving the terminal. (different door) This is the CHAOS. Terminal G's (RCL and X's) arrival and departure area is large but not large enough for all the vehicles using the curb. Crazy to say the least. Is this the Port of Miami's fault?

Maybe, just maybe this is the reason for "staggered arrival times".

It's not a Ship problem but a logistical concern at The Port.

Just my 2 cents.

Your experience may vary.

2MC

Maybe instead of staggering arrival times that everyone is deciding not to follow, they need to move boarding to start at 1pm, to help relieve the chaos. Not even open the doors till 1pm.

Problem solved.

Airlines make schedule changes regularly, maybe Ships need to do it now to.

People who use the argument "My hotel makes me leave at 11 so I have no choice but board at noon", how do they handle a 3 or 4pm flight home when the hotel kicks them out.

Heck how do they handle things when Celebrity makes them leave ship by 9:30 am in San Juan, when lots of return flights don't depart till 3 pm.

Or the argument "I would have booked a later flight" as if most airports have flights leaving every hour on the hour for the ports.

All we're talking hiere is a process over 3-4 hours time. Moving thousands of people thru the chokepoints of the ports is a big ordeal, if all would participate it'd go far smoother for everyone.[/QU

I must have missed the "big ordeal" getting checked in. I have always felt that things have moved along smoothly.

The time you disembark is reasonably known when you book your cruise. Your boarding time is not.

Hotels will allow you to drop off your luggage before check in, and they will store it for you until they h ave a suitable room ready. They will also let you rest in a chair in the lobby or elsewhere.

Should hotels begin sending out notices stating that " your check in time is" with staggered times for each floor throughout the day? You are in the Biz. maybe they do????

Should hotels begin sending out notices stating that " your check in time is" with staggered times for each floor throughout the day? You are in the Biz. maybe they do????

They don't - I think we all know this without having to be in the biz - they instead wait for several hours between departure and arrival, so there is no need for crossover with the groups and allows time to manage things.

The real problem here is the chaos in the port. Cars busses and vans all trying to both pick up and drop off people in the mad rush. Anything to push the arrivals back some time helps with this crush.

And boarding time is relatively knowns too, between 11 and 3pm, theres no guarantee that you can board directly at 11. So they are asking some to board middle to end of the already known boarding times.

Edited by cle-guy