Not a good start

ConnCruise

Partly to let you know they are giving you a service. Marriott hotels has a policy that you just allow a stay over till 1 pm without question. After that it's hotel discretion and after 4 it's a half day charge. Not sure what other brands policy is, but Hilton brands have also always been this way to me. I often get 2 and 3 pm checkouts with no fee or hassle.

Storing luggage of course is their first choice, it's always best to have all the rooms empty, but late stays don't muck the works up like some here think it does.

As you say early morning departures, get cleaned, then mid day they clean the stay overs since people have left to the beach, shopping etc, then late day finish the late checkouts. It's a standard routine and a recurring pattern. It's also why hotels have check in at 3 or 4 pm, and sometimes hassle about early arrivals, though most do what they can to accommodate early arrivals, if they have a room, and there isn't a whole lobby of guests watching them give 1 person an early room while the others stare with fire in their eyes for not being the lucky chosen early checkin.

We have the Renaissance (Marriott) booked for FL and our reservation clearly states check-out time: 11am ;).

People who use the argument "My hotel makes me leave at 11 so I have no choice but board at noon", how do they handle a 3 or 4pm flight home when the hotel kicks them out.

Heck how do they handle things when Celebrity makes them leave ship by 9:30 am in San Juan, when lots of return flights don't depart till 3 pm.

Or the argument "I would have booked a later flight" as if most airports have flights leaving every hour on the hour for the ports.

All we're talking hiere is a process over 3-4 hours time. Moving thousands of people thru the chokepoints of the ports is a big ordeal, if all would participate it'd go far smoother for everyone.

To your first point: If I leave the hotel by 11, I still go to the airport and wait. I even try to get an earlier flight if possible.

Your second point: I book a post-cruise excursion. See some sights, get to the airport at about 1:00.

So if I need to leave the hotel by a certain time, I'm heading over to the port, much like I would head over to the airport. Yeah, I might be waiting an hour or two before boarding, so be it.

Be that as it may, on every single one of my cruises I've been at the port by 10:30am at the latest. Every single time we had to wait until at least noon before getting on board. (The latest that were allowed to board was 12:30.) And every single time after waiting until noon, we were among the first 100 on board regardless of what deck our room was on or what category we were. (Our first cruise we had to wait for a wedding party to board first, but we were the very next ones on board right behind them!)

So all of this having to wait until "X time" to board because you're on "X deck", you'll be waiting regardless. It might be a short time, it might be a long time, so you might as well just be there so you can board as soon as you're able.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

Hi Everyone,

We're sailing on Equinox on Friday, and also received an email yesterday.

This subject is a tough one, with few answers that will appeal to all. In some ways, I like the idea of staggered boarding, and I applaud what Celebrity is trying to accomplish - in theory. On the other hand, the current plan simply does not work as currently offered - especially as most of us have made travel arrangements, and it's too late to make changes. Perhaps this could work, if more notice was given, but that too, is an unknown.

Another issue... most everyone wants to get onboard as early as possible. Can you blame anyone for that ? :) Under this scenario, if it were firm boarding times, I could see many guests being unhappy with later than anticipated boarding, and this can set the tone for their cruise. I certainly would not want to see that happen.

Perhaps Celebrity could ask for late boarding volunteers, immediately after final payment is made, and offer a choice of perks for boarding after 1:30 or 2 pm. Perhaps a choice of 1 item from a list. As an example: a discount for 1 specialty dining, or 30 additional internet minutes, or 5 captains club points. With an enticement, I bet they'd get plenty of volunteers !

For those who are worried about waiting in the terminal - from what I'm hearing... although the email sounds like a firm "rule", it does not appear to be the case at this point. I'm hearing that guests may board at their convenience.

Hope this is helpful !

IF they really want to do staggered boarding then they should just mention it straight up front when you book. "If you book this cabin, your boarding time will be 1:30." Or, "If you book this category, your boarding time is between 12:00 and 1:00." No muss, no fuss. Eventually word will get around as to which cabins have the earlier boarding times and which ones do not. Plus the passengers will know immediately when they can board, so they can arrange their travel accordingly.

Waiting until a week or so before the vacation begins is too late. 99.9999% of the people have unchangeable travel plans at that point. Making it part of the booking process would alleviate that.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

Or just practice a tad bit of condersideration for someone else. But alas that is not the way some that feel they have a higher status than others approach life. Step on any and all as long as they are first in line. Sad commentary. Oh well.

They are almost as bad as those people who look down at others who don't behave according to their own personal standards. But alas that is the way some feel so they think their way superior than others approach life. Criticize any and all as long as they think themselves better. Sad commentary. Oh well.

Edited by sloopsailor

We have the Renaissance (Marriott) booked for FL and our reservation clearly states check-out time: 11am ;).

But don't you get it??....they don't really mean 11am, so you can stay later if you want; the "experts" have said so. You only have to adhere to what the cruise line suggests, or the boarding police will be angry, & say you are selfish.

IF they really want to do staggered boarding then they should just mention it straight up front when you book. "If you book this cabin, your boarding time will be 1:30." Or, "If you book this category, your boarding time is between 12:00 and 1:00." No muss, no fuss. Eventually word will get around as to which cabins have the earlier boarding times and which ones do not. Plus the passengers will know immediately when they can board, so they can arrange their travel accordingly.

Waiting until a week or so before the vacation begins is too late. 99.9999% of the people have unchangeable travel plans at that point. Making it part of the booking process would alleviate that.

Agree. But the Cruise lines will never enforce the staggered boarding guidelines just like they never enforce the MDR dress guidelines.

Edited by davekathy

Hello, this is Celebrity Cruises. We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing on January 24, 2015, onboard Celebrity Reflection. To enhance your check-in and boarding experience, we ask that you arrive to the terminal based on your assigned decks. 12:00 to 12:30 PM = Deck 14 & Deck 12;12:30 to 1:00 PM =Deck 9 & Deck 11; 1:00 to 1:30 PM = Deck 6; 1:30 to 2:00 PM = Deck 7 & Deck 8; 2:00 to 2:30 PM = Deck 10; 2:30 to 3:00 PM = Deck 3. We invite our Suites and Zenith guests to arrive anytime between 11:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard the Celebrity Reflection

On our initial cruise January 3rd, we showed up at 2 pm for our designated arrival and waited 45 minutes just to get through security. In November we arrived at 11 and were on board at 11:10. We are back to back again this week and passengers were boarding ten minutes after B2B guests were processed ashore.

Our TA last April ended in Rome or rather Civitavecchia. We left the ship at about 9 AM and there was already a large group of people waiting to board and clogging up the departure lanes so it was a big mess. Any of you who have been there know that once you depart the tent with the luggage is it's a very small area for all the departing passengers to congregate and look for their transport options. When you get the newly and barking passengers into the mix it's close to chaos. I'd be interested to know how long those people had to sit out there before they were finally allowed to board, my guess it had to be at least two hours until 11 AM at the earliest

Agree. But the Cruise lines will never enforce the staggered boarding guidelines just like they never enforce the MDR dress guidelines.

Make it like you're boarding a plane. If they can board a plane beginning with first class, then those who need assistance, and then from the back of the plane on forward, they can use the same concept for boarding a ship.

Elites get on first, then people who require assistance, then special events where guests need to exit the ship prior to leaving port (i.e. a wedding), and then by designated parts of the ship (either by deck or by section [aft, middle, forward] or by deck and section). You try to board early, you get turned away. Just like at the gate in the airport.

It CAN be done.

Make it like you're boarding a plane. If they can board a plane beginning with first class, then those who need assistance, and then from the back of the plane on forward, they can use the same concept for boarding a ship.

Elites get on first, then people who require assistance, then special events where guests need to exit the ship prior to leaving port (i.e. a wedding), and then by designated parts of the ship (either by deck or by section [aft, middle, forward] or by deck and section). You try to board early, you get turned away. Just like at the gate in the airport.

It CAN be done.

Sure anything can be done. Will it, I doubt it. If it is EVER enforced like the airlines do then I'll comply. No problem.

Edited by davekathy

But don't you get it??....they don't really mean 11am, so you can stay later if you want; the "experts" have said so. You only have to adhere to what the cruise line suggests, or the boarding police will be angry, & say you are selfish.

There have been three sorts of responses to the OP. 1. Ignore them, who are they to tell me what to do?!? or 2. I will fall in line and do whatever Celebrity tells me to do with respect to boarding etc. or 3. I understand the need for cooperation and will try to follow their guidelines; if I can't, I will at least try to avoid being disruptive. Some of us who have taken the third position have also suggested that staying in the hotel longer might be an option. I don't believe anybody has suggested that we just ignore the hotels' 11:00am checkout standards! Rather, we have suggested things like asking for a late checkout, or checking luggage and going for a swim. There is no suggestion of slavishly following Celebrity while ignoring the hotels as you imply. Back to the OP, I see no cause for scorn or outrage because Celebrity (and other lines) are trying to smooth out a chaotic process.

It CAN be done.

Just another step towards class distinctions like in the days of Titanic. The rich and famous go first, get the best, have private areas and dining rooms, and the rest of us continue to get pushed out of their way. :rolleyes:

The major difference between a plane and a cruise ship is that a plane is uncomfortable and people aren't eager to get onto a plane, while cruise ships are destinations themselves and people are eager to get on. That is unless you can afford to fly first class in your huge, private chair/bed, dine on gourmet meals, and be treated like kings. Then you might actually look forward to being on the plane.

We compared our next flight to Hong Kong. Coach is priced at $1,200 round trip. First class is priced at $15, 400. Sure, they pay to get extras, but the continual deterioration of the coach class experience with no price relief in sight while the first class continue to enjoy increased levels of comfort and luxury, severely penalizes the majority who travel on a budget. And clearly demonstrates the well documented problem of ever growing income equality seen today.

Edited by SantaFeFan

It CAN be done.

If everyone arrived at the he same time that might be an option. People arrive at all times during the day.

What you suggest already exist and it works. Suites, elite, and others have their own line that generally moves faster than the other line. That is putting them to the front of the line. At least somewhat. And it does not matter what time those passengers arrive.

fWIW, we have never had a wait of more than several minutes. For those of you who choose to show up at the earliest time you can expect a longer wait, just as you would if you arrive for any event before the gates open.

X has a workable system in place. What is happening now is not necessary.

It CAN be done.

It not only CAN be done it IS being done.

Princess has different waiting areas. There is a lounge for Suites, Elites and passengers needing assistance.

There is a waiting area for everyone else and you get a boarding "group" based on when you arrive.

Then agents come and get each group and we all board in an orderly fashion.

We have only experienced long wait times in two situations: 1) when we were younger and crazier and felt we needed to be the first ones on the ship so we arrived around 11:00, and 2) when there was some kind of boarding delay we had not been notified of beforehand. Whenever we have shown up other than very early, we have never waited more than a few minutes with the exception of an unusual boarding delay. So I guess I am not clear what problem Celebrity is trying to solve??

That said, as long as it is a suggestion, then I have no issue with it. If it becomes a requirement then it could cause some real hassles for some.

Yes, for some hotels, check-out time means check-out time, and they would not be real happy about having dozens of cruisers hanging out in their lobby with all their luggage. As you all know, sometimes cruisers make up the vast majority of a hotel's Friday or Saturday night bookings in port locations.

And I can't book an airline dependent upon what time I was allowed to board, even if I knew it! I'll be darned if I'll take a more expensive flight to coincide with a special boarding time. Sometimes the difference can be tens if not hundreds of dollars between one flight and another.

I also feel that the cruise is already really not what it seems like (note that it is described by the cruise line as # of nights, not # of days). Meaning, a 7 day cruise is really closer to a 6 3/4 day cruise (maybe even less, I didn't calculate it out). To require some cruisers to board later would mean their cruise was even shorter. If someone chooses to board later, that is their option. But to require? Don't like it. Many writing on these boards cruise extensively, and often on longer cruises. But for those who are lucky to cruise only once a year or less on a 5 or 7 night every hour might count.

If heaven forbid they ever do start requiring this rather than suggesting it, then they really need to improve their waiting areas as many will be sitting there for a very long time. I hope it does not come to that.

They always clearly state 11am, they let you stay over on request.

I've stayed at that hotel several times over the years for business and cruising, and always get late departure just by calling the desk. Honestly to me it feels more like a Holiday Inn than a Renaissance.....I'm surprised Marriott lets it keep the Renaissance Brand.

We compared our next flight to Hong Kong. Coach is priced at $1,200 round trip. First class is priced at $15, 400. Sure, they pay to get extras, but the continual deterioration of the coach class experience with no price relief in sight while the first class continue to enjoy increased levels of comfort and luxury, severely penalizes the majority who travel on a budget. And clearly demonstrates the well documented problem of ever growing income equality seen today.

The majority of business and first class seats are occupied by frequent flyers and those using points.

Sure some are paying the price, but it's rare that someone sitting in international first class actually paid the full value for that seat. Most paid for that seat by spending 200,000 miles in a coach seat over a year or 2.

This is why several US airlines have gone to 2 cabins - Economy and Business, removing First in all but the lucrative and important London, Hong Kong and Australia markets (and a few others) But majority of US carriers are phasing put 1st on most international aircraft since they aren't actually collecting cash for those seats.

The majority of business and first class seats are occupied by frequent flyers and those using points.

Sure some are paying the price, but it's rare that someone sitting in international first class actually paid the full value for that seat. Most paid for that seat by spending 200,000 miles in a coach seat over a year or 2.

This is why several US airlines have gone to 2 cabins - Economy and Business, removing First in all but the lucrative and important London, Hong Kong and Australia markets (and a few others) But majority of US carriers are phasing put 1st on most international aircraft since they aren't actually collecting cash for those seats.

I'm not sure I would go that far. I have almost a million butt in seat miles on delta and sit in the back internationally. I would say the majority sitting up front actually paid for the seat, or maybe more likely, their employer paid for it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just another step towards class distinctions like in the days of Titanic. The rich and famous go first, get the best, have private areas and dining rooms, and the rest of us continue to get pushed out of their way. :rolleyes:

The major difference between a plane and a cruise ship is that a plane is uncomfortable and people aren't eager to get onto a plane, while cruise ships are destinations themselves and people are eager to get on. That is unless you can afford to fly first class in your huge, private chair/bed, dine on gourmet meals, and be treated like kings. Then you might actually look forward to being on the plane.

There will always be a difference between economic levels. No one is being penalized for a less expensive fare, they are just not eligible for the same level of benefits of those who pay far more. Less expensive fares should not be eligible for the same levels of accomodation because its not a level playing field and its not meant to be. If the expectation is to get the same opportunity as so one who paid for it, that's not how it works.

Complaining about classes, airline fares and perks, and cruise travel and perks is just plain silly to me. That one can board a plane or a cruise ship for leisure travel puts that traveler in a class way over and far above the millions of people globally who are of an even lower economic class who can't travel, let alone travel 'budget'.

In the grand scheme of things its really disturbing to begrudge so much when one has so much riches that perspective is lost or what one actuallty has in compasion to those who truly have not is taken for granted.

:o

This has already been clarified. No one is saying to blow off the hotel check-out time and stay as long as you want. What they are saying (and this is backed up by my personal experience) is that if you ask most hotels will let you stay longer than the published check-out time. Then you can play nice with both the hotel AND the cruise line.

Regardless of arguments, what's wrong with the current method? Change = people react. Some (me) get chased from hotel. Locals show up whenever. Why cause the uproar?

Oh wait, this is Celebrity!

Current method = Is or may be changing.

Current Method Change = What is Wrong = Cruise Critic Uproar=Unfamliar Territory.

In the Modern World '= is actually # that = a label called Hashtags'.

:eek:

Do you fly in an airplane? First class passengers get on first. So what? They paid for it or got an upgrade. That doesn't mean they're necessarily rich.

If seeing that someone else has achieved a certain level on Celebrity bothers you, then that's on you. There are many people who have elite status that are just regular folk and are not the "rich & famous".