Is it common in Italy

Jenna1983

for the owner of an apartment to ask you prior to arrival for copies of your passports? We booked an apartment in Venice after our cruise and they already want copies of our passports? I feel 8.5 months is a little premature and I don't feel comfortable emailing passports/giving this information to someone so far ahead?

It is common in Europe for the hotel to require your passport. We never had to provide anything prior, though. But, they are required to register their guests and passport info with the local authorities. They do need this info at some point. If they are requiring it prior (like airlines or cruises) then weigh how bad you want to stay in that particular place.

Laws change and enforcement varies so I suppose it's possible that this is legit, but in more than a decade of renting throughout Italy I've never had a landlord ask for a passport in advance. Some didn't even ask once I was there.

If it were me, I think I'd write to the landlord and explain that I was uncomfortable with the request but that I'd be happy to share the passport once there, then see how they respond. They might just be trying to speed things up on arrival day by filling out paperwork in advance.

Edited by euro cruiser

Venice is the only Italian city I know of that requires passports to get back on the ship. It may just be a Venice thing.

We overnighted in Venice before disembarking there Nov 2013. We did not have to show our passport to reboard the ship after spending the day in Venice.

Not sure how this is relative to the OP's question tho :confused:

Last year I too had a similar request for a rental in Florence, and was rather surprised as this was the first time in over 20 rentals (spread over the last ten years I was asked for this at booking. (As already mentioned normally you just provide the information or copy upon check in.)

The reason though was the landlord was waiving the deposit, and wanted/needed some form of guarantee - I guess he felt if I was willing to provide my passport info I was serious about renting. Surprisingly after I sent the info he readily sent me a copy of his passport.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just booked an apartment this week in Rome for May and was told I would have to provide passport info when the final payment was made, appx 3 weeks prior to arrival. The owner said the local authorities require it.

Barb

I just booked an apartment this week in Rome for May and was told I would have to provide passport info when the final payment was made, appx 3 weeks prior to arrival. The owner said the local authorities require it.

Barb

Must be something new i rented an apartment in Rome in November of 2013 and never showed anyone my passport nor was i asked to.

They are supposed to ask for ID, and fill out a form for the local authorities. If they didn't ask for a passport for all the adults in your party, then they might just be trying to ensure that you are not a scammer or time waster. We rented an apartment last week, and our passports were not required in advance, only upon arrival.

I will likely be canceling this place asking for passports. I spoke with one of the tour guys we use today via phone and he said while Northern Itsly is generally stricter on laws he doesn't see why they need this 8.5 months prior. I found an apartment that did require a small deposit that is returnable until 2 weeks prior who stated they only want passports when we arrive- too long away to keep track. Thanks for all the information.

I will likely be canceling this place asking for passports. I spoke with one of the tour guys we use today via phone and he said while Northern Itsly is generally stricter on laws he doesn't see why they need this 8.5 months prior. I found an apartment that did require a small deposit that is returnable until 2 weeks prior who stated they only want passports when we arrive- too long away to keep track. Thanks for all the information.

If you like the place and it seems otherwise on the up-and-up, why not at least ask them first if you can simply provide your passports on arrival. If they say no, then you haven't lost anything.

Last year I too had a similar request for a rental in Florence, and was rather surprised as this was the first time in over 20 rentals (spread over the last ten years I was asked for this at booking. (As already mentioned normally you just provide the information or copy upon check in.)

The reason though was the landlord was waiving the deposit, and wanted/needed some form of guarantee - I guess he felt if I was willing to provide my passport info I was serious about renting. Surprisingly after I sent the info he readily sent me a copy of his passport.

Barbara

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find it amusing that if it is a rule why it isn't applied by every establishment.

We were in Florence in 2012 and the person at the check in wanted me to sign a form which wasn't even filled in.

I told him that is not something I was willing to do and he became very angry and everybody else just signed it.

It had clauses about liability, charges etc and I refused until the detail was complete.

Don't always accept 'it is the rule'.

Do some research ;)

I find it amusing that if it is a rule why it isn't applied by every establishment.

We were in Florence in 2012 and the person at the check in wanted me to sign a form which wasn't even filled in.

I told him that is not something I was willing to do and he became very angry and everybody else just signed it.

It had clauses about liability, charges etc and I refused until the detail was complete.

Don't always accept 'it is the rule'.

Do some research ;)

I don't know what sort of form you were asked to sign in Florence, as I've never been asked to sign anything like that. However, anyone's research will confirm that it is definitely a requirement in Italy that the owner of a hotel, B&B, Agriturismo or holiday apartment is required to see ID from the guests and fill in a form for the local authorities. Sometimes the requirement may be ignored, but it exists.

Edited by lisiamc

I don't know what sort of form you were asked to sign in Florence, as I've never been asked to sign anything like that. However, anyone's research will confirm that it is definitely a requirement in Italy that the owner of a hotel, B&B, Agriturismo or holiday apartment is required to see ID from the guests and fill in a form for the local authorities. Sometimes the requirement may be ignored, but it exists.

That's the problem; I did not know what the form was for.

I understand the ID and a standard form but this looked like a dodgy form with him saying he would fill in the details for me!

I used my best Australian politeness with him and enquired about the weather.:D

I find it amusing that if it is a rule why it Don't always accept 'it is the rule'.

Do some research ;)

It is a legal requirement in Italy (actually a lot of the EU anymore), and has been as long as I remember (even when I lived there in the 60s) for guests to be reported to the local "authorities". Now, if some people aren't complying that I can't help, but no one should be surprised if, upon check in, they are asked for their passports. Years ago it used to be very nerve racking at check in they would take your passport and keep it any where from a couple of hours to even the next day! (Some hotels where even persistent on keeping it the entire length of stay! Probably to insure they were paid. :p)

This passport requirement should not be confused with liability requirement forms for apartment rental.

Barbara