Assigned Riviera Deck for Ocean View Guarantee

huskywa

This is my first post so please be kind. My husband and I booked the 11-day Triumph Caribbean cruise departing from Galveston, Texas, (where I was born), on February 9th. On November 19th, we booked an ocean view guarantee. We got our room assignment yesterday--1274 on the Riviera deck, the lowest possible floor. It is supposed to be 220 square feet, have a picture window, a sofa that can be a bed and a bed that pulls down from the wall. It is just me and my husband going on the cruise. On some cruise sites, it is also indicating it is a connecting room. After I began looking at this particular cruise on line, a PVP called a few times. We decided to book so I called her back. I explained to her this was a cruise to celebrate my 60th birthday, that the cruise leaves from where I was born and how special this cruise was going to be for us. She told me we should get a very nice upgrade since we had sailed with Carnival three times previously and we were celebrating a very special occasion. I had to call her back for a few questions I had, and never again got the PVP we booked with. Although I put in her phone extension, I just got whomever answered the phone. I didn't think she was very knowledgeable as she had to ask her supervisor for the answers to each of my questions at the time I booked. I don't believe she still works at Carnival. We have booked guarantees before and have never been disappointed. Has anyone stayed in this room or on the Riviera deck? I know you should be happy with any room in that guarantee category or you shouldn't book it. But, since Carnival could see we were past passengers and we were celebrating a special birthday, we thought we would get a decent room. It feels as if we have been placed in the basement. If anyone has stayed in this room or on the Riviera deck, please let me know about your experience. We, like many others,were trying to save money. Or, if you have an idea, please let me know. Please be kind.

Most ships only have 3 OV categories. 6A, 6B or 6C. You were assigned a 6B, midship Riviera, only better would be a 6C, midship one deck up ave on Main, Would you rather have a 6A (aft or forward on Riviera). I have been on more CCL cruises and never got preferential treatment when you choose guarantee.

Since there are only two decks that have ocean view cabins on them, Riviera and Main Decks, I believe being on the Riviera is better than being on the Main Deck (personal experience). I say this because of the activity that is happening on the deck above the Main Deck, galley, shops, dining room etc. Being on the Riviera Deck will be more quiet. We had an adjoining room on another cruise line once, and at that time people were permitted to smoke in their cabins. We could smell the cigarette smoke from their room (coming through the adjoining door). You should not have that issue as there is no smoking in the cabins anymore. It looks like you received a one category upgrade to a 6B oceanview stateroom. Oceanview stateroom categories are from 6A to 6C. You ended up in the middle of that category, in the 6B.

We are on the same cruise and have not been assigned our cabin yet. This is the latest we have ever gone, after 17 cruises with Carnival, and not been given a stateroom yet. I'm checking everyday, twice a day. Have a fabulous cruise and Happy 60th!

Thats not true when they told you that you most likely will get an upgrade since you taken three cruises, I still don't get upgrades for free!

I personally never would stay on the last passenger deck of any ship, its just me. If you have to have ocean view I stay away from the Riviera deck but only would choose a cabin on the Main Deck that is forward from the London Dining Room, you also don't want to be under the dining room or galley.

We have had that cabin and I think you will like it. It's not far from the elevators, and you will enjoy not having that long walk back after the shows. I just booked the Riviera deck closer to the front on the Valor. It may be a bit of a walk to the dining but just figure one way or another you will be walking. Don't fret, just enjoy your cruise!

I love Riveria deck for oceanview rooms. I don't book guarantees but when I do book oceanviews, it's on those decks (I've never sailed Fantasy class ships where oceanviews are all over the place; just the Conquest class where, like the Triumph class, they are really only on Riveria and Main).

What I like about them is that they are quiet-cabins above and medical, and some crew stuff just below. They are also awesome for reboarding after a port. No need to wait for an elevator--it's just one flight of stairs. And because it is the first floor, you generally get an empty elevator going up to other decks. I'd take Riveria over Main (which has dining rooms, galley, guest services, a bar, and the main show lounge above it) any day.

I was down the hall from you earlier this year in 1299, also an oceanview room. I loved it.

I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. It was about the same size as the mini suite I was in on Norwegian, although minus the balcony, of course.

I didn't mind being on the bottom floor at all. It was quiet and I found that at peak times on port days, when the elevators and stairwells and crazy crowded, that I got on and off the ship quite easily.

Edited by febtober

1st cruise was on the Riveria, All others were balcony's except the 4 day out of Tampa, which was also the Riveria. I have no problem at all being down there, if not in a balcony. It is possible that you can upgrade later, and sometimes rather cheaply, but if you don't want to spend more, I'm sure you cabin will be perfectly fine.

You got a decent room for a guarantee considering it is mid-ship, all the OV's are on the lower 2 passenger decks. Also, cruising before and it being a special occasion means nothing in the guarantee assignment 'lottery'.

Edited by ray98

Were you hoping for a balcony? Very rare does that happen that people get upgraded to the next category. If it was the case more people would take the gauantee rate

There will be MANY people onboard who will be past cruisers-- look at cards you will see many red cards

Also at diner notice the amount of people celebrating a special occasion

I think the upgrade you got was a good one-- at least you did NOT get a cabin located under the galley. or any other noisy area.

Have sailed MANY times and never got a higher upgrade

Edited by serene56

I have been in Oceanview rooms on both the main and riviera decks. The riviera deck room was actually one of the most quiet rooms I have ever had on a ship.

It never felt like "the basement" to me.

What I really liked about the room was that it was only two flights of stairs up to the atrium area/deck three, and also when you reboard the ship in ports of call, on deck zero, you are only one flight of stairs up to riviera deck, so when elevators were busy, you could just walk up the stairs and you were "home".

In fact if I were to choose between the two decks, I would prefer Riviera deck to Main deck, based only on my experience and where my main deck room was, there was some overhead noise, not a lot, but more than riviera deck.

Congratulations on your birthday, and have a great cruise:)

I also agree with other posters who say, not to expect upgrades. I have had 6 carnival cruises and have never been offered an upgrade, or an upsell (upgrade at an extra cost).

Edited by SMSACE6

Welcome to cruisecritic, Huskywa! :)

We are on the same upcoming cruise as you, but we'll also be on the returning cruise for the full 21 days. We have a fairly active roll-call that you might want to check into here:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44070773#post44070773

As others have stated, your cabin assignment is actually pretty decent - and MUCH better that being assigned a room on main deck under the galley!! :eek: I'd be quite happy with that one. :)

There are MANY of us who are multiple cruisers with Carnival, and MANY who are also celebrating special occasions. So unfortunately, neither of those conditions will bring you much clout in getting any kind of upgrades or special considerations. It's just not feasible for Carnival to accommodate all of us like that.

Hopefully you won't let your disappointment about your cabin assignment spoil your excitement. Keep in mind how fortunate you are to be able to cruise for 11 days, and that you get to celebrate your 60th at sea!! That's so awesome!! Perhaps we'll meet on board and I'll find you having the time of your life, having completely forgotten about this little blip. :D

Celine (& John)

My husband and I stayed in an ocean view room on Riviera deck on the carnival Liberty and we loved it. There are only cabins above you and it was very quiet. Also looking out the window you are very close to the ocean so you get a good view of the ocean every time you look out. The ocean view cabins on the deck above riviera deck are under areas that could cause noise in the cabin. We have stayed in balcony, interior and mini suite cabins as well as ocean view. We would definitely stay in the Riviera deck again. Oh it was so quiet and there was never an issue getting an elevator. Have fun and don't worry about your cabin location.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thank you very much for all of your responses. I didn't realize the Triumph only had ocean views on two floors--obviously didn't do precruise homework. We would prefer to be on a quiet floor rather than under the noisy places. Again, thank you and we are looking forward to our cruise.

Thank you very much for all of your responses. I didn't realize the Triumph only had ocean views on two floors--obviously didn't do precruise homework. We would prefer to be on a quiet floor rather than under the noisy places. Again, thank you and we are looking forward to our cruise.

And don't forget to pop into the roll call to meet some of your fellow cruisers on line prior to boarding next month. We've got several activities planned, including in person meet & greets prior to the cruise and on the cruise, and there's also a lot of information about the different excursions everyone is planning on doing.

See you on board!! :)

Celine