Euro/exchange rate and excursions

littlelulu01

When booking excursions, both with the ship and independently I've been quoted in usd. This has been favorable in the past but since I've booked my excursions the dollar value has increased considerably. When I calculate the total loss, it's hundreds of dollars. Is anyone able to get quotes in euro. Just seems to me like some of that savings should be passed on to the customer.

When the Euro goes down, don't expect to see savings when you book in advance, unless you commit to a price now, and the Euro drops between time of booking, and the actual payment date.

People in Europe are making adjustments to the dropping Euro. For example, we have some hotels booked at X euros rate. If I try to book today, that price might be X+ 20 euros, as they try to keep up. But the X I booked at 3 months ago is still valid, and the euros aren't worth as many USDs. So, keeping that price of X euros booked 3 months ago might cost me $30 less because of the exchange rate.

As a US customer, what cruise line gives you quotes in Euros?

Edited by CruiserBruce

You want to book tours in Euros, then book private excursions (on your own) directly from tour providers. You can even do better if you simply change money (the best rates are nearly always from European ATMs) and go off on your own. But if you expect the cruise line franchised shore excursion office to pass along any savings from a favorable exchange rate...I can sell u a nice bridge in Brooklyn. Cruise lines and their franchiser shore excursion companies both all make more money on the better exchange rates. But no reason to pass them along to cruisers since most who book their excursions on the ship are willing to pay whatever it costs.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

When the Euro goes down, don't expect to see savings when you book in advance, unless you commit to a price now, and the Euro drops between time of booking, and the actual payment date.

People in Europe are making adjustments to the dropping Euro. For example, we have some hotels booked at X euros rate. If I try to book today, that price might be X+ 20 euros, as they try to keep up. But the X I booked at 3 months ago is still valid, and the euros aren't worth as many USDs. So, keeping that price of X euros booked 3 months ago might cost me $30 less because of the exchange rate.

As a US customer, what cruise line gives you quotes in Euros?

River Cruises on Avalon quote excursions and extra fees in Euros and all charges are in Euros.

I don't expect the cruise company will be crediting us, kind of like the oil prices... They reserve the right to charge a supplement for increased crude prices but certainly don't reserve the right to decrease if crude prices drop. They insulate themselves either way. I'm very thankful that at least on my hotels I got quotes in euro, payable upon check in. It's just a little strange that some of these independent excursions now quote in usd. Daughter is studying abroad and travels on weekends. Her trips are in euro and they certainly aren't all of a sudden jacking up the cost in euro because the dollar is stronger. We simply pay less because the dollar is worth more, and the tour companies are making the same in euros that they were a few months ago. I guess for the cruise it's just the way it goes.

You want to book tours in Euros, then book private excursions (on your own) directly from tour providers. You can even do better if you simply change money (the best rates are nearly always from European ATMs) and go off on your own. But if you expect the cruise line franchised shore excursion office to pass along any savings from a favorable exchange rate...I can sell u a nice bridge in Brooklyn. Cruise lines and their franchiser shore excursion companies both all make more money on the better exchange rates. But no reason to pass them along to cruisers since most who book their excursions on the ship are willing to pay whatever it costs.

Hank

Just booked our first European cruise. How would I go about getting money from an ATM is Europe? I guess what I am asking is can I just take my USA bank card over there and use it or do I need to do something special. We bank with Fifth Third.

Just booked our first European cruise. How would I go about getting money from an ATM is Europe? I guess what I am asking is can I just take my USA bank card over there and use it or do I need to do something special. We bank with Fifth Third.

Most banks are associated with specific ATM "networks" -- these should be listed on the back of your ATM card (e.g., PLUS, Star, Cirrus, etc.). These networks are very widespread and most ATMs work with most networks.

You do need to let your bank know in advance that you are traveling and that you plan to use your card.

Also -- in case you're worried -- most ATMs have an English language option. Look for a British or American flag icon and select it. If you find a machine that doesn't, just look for another one. ATMs are very common in almost any place where tourists are!

Yes you can. It is about as simple as in the US. ATMs there, in most cases, don't charge a fee. Only your home bank will. And the rates are best at ATMs.

If you book an excursion today, and the Euro gets stronger, who eats that loss? Not you! It is all calculated into the price the ship pays for the excursions, the prices for which were probably negotiated a couple of months ago.

With regard to booking the cruise yes, I understand and I remember the ads a few years ago cruise lines using this as a sales pitch.

But the inflation rate in Europe is less than the us, both are very low. When the dollar is on the rise and a tour company that is in the euro zone starts quoting in $ then their profits rise. Re independent tour companies, If the dollar falls they can quote in euros like the did when the dollar was weaker. People adjusting their prices in the eu to reflect the rise in the dollar are making more, not the same, not less.

It would be like a tour company in the us switching to pounds vs the dollar just because the pound is higher.

I can see this working out in their favor for a while but if the euro to dollar continues to drop as it has been and the tour companies continue to charge in US dollar or adjust the cost in euros they are basically falsely inflating the euro. People who live in the EU and go on a cruise and have to pay the inflated prices might decide not to cruise.

I don't see any inflated prices with regard to daughters travels, shes studying abroad in florence, and its been quite a relief to pay less for her weekend travels.

The stronger dollar may just be temporary anyways. The euro may very well rebound . I guess it's all a gamble. Daughter went to Switzerland to ski last weekend. I paid for her trip in CFH and looked at the exchange rate and was very happy it was so low. I can't remember but it was less than the dollar when charged to my bank and I was thinking wow Switzerland is cheap. A few hours later another, less expensive charge went thru and the rate was the same as the euro. I was sure glad the big charge went thru in the nick of time and ended up saving a couple hundred dollars on the trip. It was pure luck though as I had no idea the swiss bank was going to make their move.

Edited by littlelulu01