Live: Amazon River, Caribbean, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

Yes, after the sunset and as sailing, there was much to do and enjoy on the Silver Cloud. More visuals to prove it, right?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 95,241 views for this posting.

Here is the Silver Cloud Captain with many of his top staff greeting the passengers at the opening program before Tuesday night’s formal dinner. The Captain guaranteed to us smooth sailing on the Amazon River. But, warned these open seas now might be a little rough. Sea condition have some rolling and rocking, but no where as bad as what we had for two days a year ago crossing the Tasman Sea from Australia to New Zealand:

Jan15SCStartA58_zpsxnns05ve.jpg

For dinner in the main dining area, my first course was French-style escargot. Wonderful!! Next was a sampling of shrimp. Very good, also.:

Jan15SCStartA59_zpstnrfibm3.jpg

Jan15SCStartA60_zpssgzhflck.jpg

It was an extremely challenging debate for over the questions of lobster versus beef for my dinner selection. What to pick? My wife did the beef Wellington as shown below. She said it was the best version of this dish she had ever, ever enjoyed. Great praise! Then, next is my grilled lobster tail. Super wonderful, also. Had extra sauce provided to make it even better with the grain also included under the lobster. Finally, it is dessert, highlighted with a pistachio cake, plus, plus.:

Jan15SCStartA61_zpsfa5zhdwn.jpg

Jan15SCStartA62_zpswdr4yixq.jpg

Jan15SCStartA63_zpsh1jl6r9c.jpg

Here are the wrap-up pictures from the 10 pm music program last night, but a little bonus coverage.

Our morning program on Devil's Island was excellent, plus the two chefs did a super entertainment program with nice food samples during their morning presentation. Now, up to the pool, grab a little light food there. Lots more pictures from today's sea-day to follow.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 169,840 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

After dinner, it was the “Singers of Solstice” in the main theater. This program yesterday was a “Latin” style mix of songs, dancing, etc. Worked very well. Nice variety of costumes during the program. These singers will do three more programs on this cruise with an added variety of music styles, themes, etc. Plus, these six will do some cabaret-style shows with smaller numbers of them doing the varied programs.:

Jan15SCStartA64_zpshfhiwukn.jpg

Jan15SCStartA65_zpssddchrsw.jpg

Jan15SCStartA66_zpsh96gufxv.jpg

Finally, here is cruise director Alan King closing out the show and previewing the next day's activities and programs. He always shows the audience each day the “happy soxes” he is wearing for the day and does a telling of one of his old-style stories with a funny, twisted ending. Alan is Scottish, has great humor and class. Very experienced and fun!:

Jan15SCStartA67_zps4aduji7i.jpg

Finally, here is one of the couples doing a little dancing after the show with the quartet performing in the bar area outside of the theater. They were on our nutmeg/rum tour and we had had lunch with them during our circle of Grenada tour. He is a retired Army officer, having lived in a variety of location in Cincinnati, near our home in Columbus. They are now residents in the West Palm Beach area.:

Jan15SCStartA68_zpssk3opyyw.jpg

Terry....great picture postcard of this fabulous itinerary.Dont forget to book the ships excursion toAnavilhanas to see a typical Amazonian village.It is a memorable experience.Amazed to learn this special cruise is not sold out!! because SS only do the full Amazon cruise twice per annum.We shall continue to relive our memories with your wonderful reports and photos.ENJOY!

Terry....great picture postcard of this fabulous itinerary.Dont forget to book the ships excursion to Anavilhanas to see a typical Amazonian village.It is a memorable experience. Amazed to learn this special cruise is not sold out!! because SS only do the full Amazon cruise twice per annum.We shall continue to relive our memories with your wonderful reports and photos.ENJOY!

upwarduk: Egret Terry' date=' I believe the bird is an egret. We saw plenty when in the Florida Keys last year, in fact they showed no fear, we reguarly had one join us on our balcony at breakfast time. [/quote']

Appreciate the mention on the bird’s name, background. Have not seen that many unique birds, so far, on this trip. BUT, love the flowers, waterside locations, etc. We really loved the people of these first two islands that we first visited. Very nice, helpful and friendly.

On Anavilhanas, this Brazil/Amazon stop is being skipped and we will get into Manaus much earlier. Not sure the exact reasons/details. Will find out more later for that need/reason on this schedule change where we got notice a few weeks before our departure. There will still be another stop where we still see a smaller village along the Amazon. Per earlier suggestions, I have brought along a number of pencils, pens and other gift items for school children, etc.

For our Wednesday morning at sea, we had started with breakfast in the main dining room. See the visuals and added details below.

Enjoyed a June 2011 cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Now at 193,246 views for this live/blog. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

With so many busy port days during past cruises, we would very seldom go to the main dining room for breakfast. We would mostly do the buffet on the back of the ship or have room service in our suite. Both of those options have worked well. BUT, today we had plenty of time and did the main dining room. It worked well. Arrived around 9 am, to hit there with no crowds there at this time. We had a nice window seat from which to watch the sea action. My wife had the waffles as shown below. She raved about these being the best waffles every. Super loved!! I was more conventional with a ham, cheese and mushroom omelette. Mine was perfectly hot and very tasty.:

Jan15SCStartA69_zpsqjtfjjro.jpg

Jan15SCStartA70_zpslb3ite2y.jpg

Jan15SCStartA71_zpsv2ahc2xl.jpg

On the way to a morning program, I happened to catch the top ship hotel and food staff having a meeting in the area near the theatre. Maybe some will recognize a few faces from past Silversea cruises. At the top is the Hotel Director, plus you can see the Cruise Director, Bar/Beverage manager, dining room manager, etc.:

Jan15SCStartA72_zpsrtz3vp7t.jpg

Late morning was a cooking demonstration with both the Executive Chef and the head of the ship's Italian speciality dining location. The Executive Chef is from Australia and he had a wonderful “Ying and Yang” conversation with his partner from Italy Fun! And we had samples of both items that they were preparing. Below you can see a picture for the Italian dish that he prepared, including making the noodles from scratch right in front of us. Sadly, we learned that there will be no galley buffet during this cruise as we super enjoyed that treat in July 2010 during our Norway coast trip on the Silver Cloud. No large and spectacular International Buffet as the health regulations have been upped on the sneeze guards required, etc. The Executive Chef will be departing the Cloud on Feb. 11 when this segment is finished in Barbados.:

Jan15SCStartA73_zpssiilvu1k.jpg

Jan15SCStartA74_zpsortbbwop.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Wonderful pictures Terry. I'd rather be doing your trip than Jeff's Cheap food and drink soirée in Singapore. No comparison.

Not sure that I want to get in the "middle" between you and Jeff over Singapore versus the Amazon River, his "cheap" food, etc. Not yet been to Southeast Asia and these various nearby location that are on our wish-list for future adventures.

Lot of great Brits on this sailing. Very fun and interesting to talk with them, share discussions, etc.

More below on the ship, lunch by the pool, etc. Am enjoying the views now from the Panorama Lounge, etc. Having a special "Silver-Rita" drink now. It is made with Grand Marnier, the orange-flavored cognac liquor created in 1880 that has a blend of Cognac brandy, distilled essence of bitter orange and sugar. Tastes good! On such cruises where the beverages are included without added cost (besides what we paid originally), it is easy and fun to try new drinks, experiences, etc. FUN!!

For Athens, Greece, check out this posting with many ideas, tips and exciting visuals. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

There have been over 10,492 views on this posting.

For lunch, we did a little nibbling pool side. Lots of options from the grill there, plus this special buffet that was set-up. You can see one of the options that I enjoyed, a mix of Spain and my favorite seafood treats. Plus, finally, here is a picture of the hard-working staff preparing items at the pool grill area during the lunch period on a sunny sea-day.:

Jan15SCStartA75_zpsynjfphoc.jpg

Jan15SCStartA76_zpsa8tdpuji.jpg

Jan15SCStartA77_zpsvsmgp9om.jpg

Here are two visuals from the mid-day lecture programs on the ship during this sea-day. On Caribbean pirates, this recently college professor from the San Diego area had lots of interesting historic details and background for why and how these pirates operated in the 1650 to 1730 period. Our other presenter today did a great job previewing Devil’s Island, including many film clips and visuals. This include several highlights from the movie Papaillon, starring Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman from 1973. Looking forward and very excited about this stop on the site and practice that the French made famous or maybe a little "infamous"!!:

Jan15SCStartA78_zpscozzwtyo.jpg

Jan15SCStartA79_zpsqmk0u8kk.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Terry you are very lucky to have Grant as the head chef. We were on his first cruise when he joined SS. We like his cooking. He is a nice Aussie guy ! I hope he is back on the Cloud in June ! :)

Will check more on the Executive Chef's post vacation plans/schedule. As I understand, he lives in Thailand when he is not doing his ship sailing work. During his presentation this morning, we super loved his warmth, personality, style, etc. Got to totally appreciate those from Australia and their wonderful approach to enjoy life.

We spectacularly loved the areas and people "down under" from our cruise and pre- and post-stops from a year ago. That live/blog is now getting close to 100,000 views. This posting is now over 1,000 views. Appreciate those who have tuned-in, asked questions, made comments, etc. Don't be shy! Happy to check out any questions, find out more in my research, etc. We have lots of sea-days to such "research".

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 96,053 views for this posting.

such a lovely thread that is so enjoyable. Sophia

Appreciate this above cited portion of Sophia's nice comment. Won't comment on any other aspects. Just focused right now for enjoying this nice experience, the great weather, etc. The sun has set on this part of today's travels, but no exciting or interesting sunset action. There's always tomorrow to seek that photographic opportunity.

As a warm-up and summary for tomorrow's visit to Devil's Island, here are some preview notes, history and background from the Silversea data base, Fodors, our morning lecturer, etc.

For Thursday, Jan. 29, we will visit this French Guiana location from 1-6 PM. There is no added charge or special tour cost involved. We will be tendered there, able to walk around, see the sights, etc.

Devil's Island is but one of the infamous penal colonies of the Iles du Salut archipelago, the other two being Ile Royale and Ile St. Joseph. These notorious, remote islands are about one hour by boat from the mainland of French Guiana, an Overseas Department of France.

Originally, the small archipelago was known simply as Devil's Island, but was readily renamed Iles du Salut, or Islands of Salvation, after the first ships encountered a rough crossing from the mainland and the verdant, hilly isles presented themselves like a promised land. The location and hazardous way to reach the islands presented an obvious choice for France to establish its convict settlement here in 1852. Each one of the three islands served a different purpose: Ile Royale was the site of the administrative center and for prisoners deemed less dangerous. The more troublesome convicts were kept at Ile St. Joseph. On the almost inaccessible Devil's Island, political prisoners such as Alfred Dreyfus were held in isolation. The prisoner who became world famous was Henri Charrière, immortalized in the movie Papillon, for supposedly being the only convict ever to have escaped from the “green hell.”

Today, visitors arrive at Ile Royale, the larger of the two islands (out of three) which can be visited, to experience the haunting history of this former penal colony. Pathways allow you to circle the island (our expert says to walk counter-clockwise around the island) and to wander among the overgrown ruins of prison cells and administrative buildings. A recent restoration program has been successful in recovering some of the buildings, one of which now houses a small museum. There is also a hotel, the Auberge Iles du Salut, providing modest tourist facilities.

There are no organised excursions available, but one or two English-speaking guides from the mainland are available for directions and to provide information. There are no vehicles on the island; the remains of the various prison facilities have to be seen on foot. A dirt path circles the entire island and can be walked in about 45 minutes.

The local currency is the euro as this a part of France and the euro is "it". U.S. dollars are accepted in the gift shop.

From 1852 to 1948, the main penal colonies were established on the three French Salvation Islands to hold the most notorious criminals and political outcasts. Those who were sentenced to seven or more years and survived were required to remain in French Guiana for life. Of 80,000 prisoners sent to the islands, some 50,000 died here. The complex was virtually a self-contained community with houses, offices, a hospital, bakery, butcher shop and church. This Devil's Island complex was closed in 1953.

They say to wear lightweight clothing, a sun hat and walking shoes to explore this remote and exotic location. Tenders will be running continuously during our stay, allowing us to return to the ship at any time.

MOVIE DETAILS: This 1973 prison film was directed by Franklin J. Schaffner, who did the famed bio movie titled "Patton" in 1970. That director also did Planet of the Apes (1968) and The Boys from Brazil (1978). Due to its filming at remote locations, Papillon was quite expensive for the time ($12 million), but earned more than twice that in the first year of distribution. The film's title is French for "Butterfly," referring to the author Charrière's tattoo and nickname. Papillon was filmed at various locations in Spain and Jamaica. Since the late 20th century, Papillon has become regarded as a classic adventure film and everal critics suggest the film is McQueen's best performance. Our speaker today noted that Steve McQueen’s famous cliff-jumping scene near the end of the film took place from the cliffs in Maui, Hawaii. McQueen insisted on performing the cliff-jumping stunt himself.

Its music score was by Jerry Goldsmith and gained an Academy Award nomination. That musics was characterized by a late romantic symphonic and impressionistic style with some instruments used for Caribbean folk music.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 170,124 views.

From the Bing website, here are three file visuals from the movie, Papillon. The two big, most famous stars were Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman.:

Jan15SCStartA80_zpsuyiiv9sl.jpg

Jan15SCStartA82_zpsfwnfwa0d.jpg

Jan15SCStartA81_zpsgza8brrc.jpg

Sorry you are skipping Anivalhas,hope the alternative is enjoyable.The pink dolphin excursion is a worthwhile and unique experience.We are loving your pics and reports as we have a raging blizzard outside at the moment.ENJOY.

the pictures and commentary.

At the risk of stirring the pot, and not wanting to chide any poster, hope we can leave the barbed and sarcastic comments to the water cooler.

Email often does not portray the meaning of the message.

Can't wait for the next installment of Terry's great sea adventure!

Terry, glad to see that you are getting to enjoy Grant as Exec Chef, if you meet him you will find he has a wicked sense of humour.

A couple of questions: I thought the new entertainers were launched as The Voices of Silversea, has that changed now. Second, your picture of the Captain and staff on formal night shows them in dress suits and ties. That is a new one on me, I thought they always dressed in whites and bow ties.

Finally, your shot of the Hotel Director and staff only shows one face I recognise from our last Cloud voyage last April, looks like a huge turnaround, also true of the senior officers.

Thanks for taking us along with you and your pics are excellent!

Terry, glad to see that you are getting to enjoy Grant as Exec Chef, if you meet him you will find he has a wicked sense of humour. A couple of questions: I thought the new entertainers were launched as The Voices of Silversea, has that changed now. Second, your picture of the Captain and staff on formal night shows them in dress suits and ties. That is a new one on me, I thought they always dressed in whites and bow ties. Finally, your shot of the Hotel Director and staff only shows one face I recognise from our last Cloud voyage last April, looks like a huge turnaround, also true of the senior officers. Thanks for taking us along with you and your pics are excellent!

Appreciate the added follow-ups, comments and questions. Silver Spectre is today's first prize winner!! Yes we will hook up more with the Executive Chef. We could tell from his cooking demonstration that he has a wonderful, cute sense of humor. Sorry he won't be on our nine-day Barbados to San Juan segment.

Yes, that is how the Executive Staff were dressed for that first formal night. We have two other formal nights on this 17-day cruise segment. Maybe they are saving that fancier style for later.

More great pictures to follow, including from last night's entertainment.

Getting ready to land at Devil's Island. Rough seas delayed our arrival a little, but all is fine with the schedule, making good progress. Excellent morning presentation on the early parts of Brazil history and their unique, twisted history with Portugal.

Enjoyed a 14-day Celebrity Solstice, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 96,156 views for this posting.

We did a first for us from our short cruising history doing our five previous trips. Last evening, we ordered off the main dining room menu and had it served in our room in courses by our Butler. Very relaxed and easy!! Was the food good? Look at my picture as proof. First is a view of Penny’s Forest Mushroom Fricassee. Second is my Salmon Tartare. Both excellent in taste and texture!:

Jan15SCStartA83_zpstzeznags.jpg

Jan15SCStartA84_zpspvbjfenr.jpg

We both had French onion soup, but nothing that visually interesting to share photographically from that dining course. Now the main event!! My wife had Veau aux Champignons des Bois. That’s pan-fried veal, creamy wild mushroom sauce, etc. Mine was called Declinaison Autour du Boeuf. They call it a "study" of American Black Angus beef with three different varieties for how this meat is prepared and done. Also super wonderful!! :

Jan15SCStartA85_zps9njabyyi.jpg

Jan15SCStartA86_zpscwe6v6qa.jpg

Time for dessert? First is my wife’s cheesecake offering. Next is mine that involved an eclair and macaroon combination. Also, very good and enjoyable.:

Jan15SCStartA87_zpsgnivczmp.jpg

Jan15SCStartA88_zpssydhas0j.jpg

Sorry you are skipping Anivalhas, hope the alternative is enjoyable.The pink dolphin excursion is a worthwhile and unique experience. We are loving your pics and reports as we have a raging blizzard outside at the moment. ENJOY.

Appreciate the suggestion from brimary. YES, we are working on some special surprises for when visit in Manaus for our two and a half days in this central part of the Amazon River basin. Sorry about your "raging blizzard" in the UK now.

For last night in the Venetian Lounge Theatre, it was Francisca Vglesia. His instrument? The Paraguayan Harp! Don't see that very often on American TV. Or in USA concert halls. He started at a young age of eight in music and by age sixteen was well-known in his country.

He has done many program with famed artists, at locations such as Royal Albert Hall, on UK TV, etc. He brought a nice Latin American music style to the ship. He will do one more program before we get to Manaus. As the photos show, he was backed by the Silversea Quartet.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 170,196 views.

From Paraguay, the evening performer was a harp player. Not just any kind of harp. Good-looking instrument. Right? Plus, he was very nice and entertaining with an interesting sense of humor!! Gave a nice “South American Touch” as a preview for what’s upcoming as we get to Brazil in a couple of days.:

Jan15SCStartA89_zpsjrwiwzej.jpg

Jan15SCStartA90_zpsovknlsk0.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Good Morning Terry and Penny,

The food on your trip is certainly really well presented and it's lovely to see your reports. And your piccies are really good.

That harp player isn't all he seems. He isn't Francisca Vglesia! He is a part of a double act in the UK and his real name is Bobby Ball!

Bobby-Ball.jpg

:D

Appreciate you taken us along with you.

Jeff

:)

That harp player isn't all he seems. He isn't Francisca Vglesia! He is a part of a double act in the UK and his real name is Bobby Ball!

Bobby-Ball.jpg

Jeff

:)

not according to his web site:

'Francisco Yglesia was born in Paraguay, and has been playing the Paraguayan Harp since the age of seven. A renowned entertainer and a former member of the legendary group 'Los Paraguayos', Francisco has been delighting audiences around the world with his performances for over five decades.'

http://www.franciscoyglesia.co.uk

Edited by upwarduk

not according to his web site: 'Francisco Yglesia was born in Paraguay, and has been playing the Paraguayan Harp since the age of seven. A renowned entertainer and a former member of the legendary group 'Los Paraguayos', Francisco has been delighting audiences around the world with his performances for over five decades.'

http://www.franciscoyglesia.co.uk

Appreciate the cute "fun" from Jeff, plus the follow-up from Jackie & Adrian. The real Francisco Yglesia on our ship looked a little like that noted Brian Ball. But, our ship performer definitely had more hair than Jeff's pictured guy from the UK. That's an important item, especially when observing him up close from the front row in the Silver Cloud's theater.

Did we escape yesterday from our time on the famed French prison island complex known as Devil's Island? Will be posting a number of upcoming pictures to show the results, plus our our outdoor dining last night at "Hot Rocks". Both fun and interesting!

Did check the weather for Central Ohio. AccuWeather is saying for tonight: clear and very cold, low of 15°F with a "RealFeel" 8°F. Glad to be here sailing in the Atlantic Ocean towards the Amazon River. Much warmer in our current location.

Did a June, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. We are now at 193,369 views for this live/blog re-cap. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are some of the general and varied views on Devil's Island. It is actually three different islands about six miles off of the coast of French Guiana. It is still an Overseas Department of France and using the euro as its currency here in the America's. Our tour was around on Iles du Salut, or Islands of Salvation. The temperature for us on this island was in the upper 70'sF, but with 90%+ humidity. Fortunately we had a nice breeze while there, plus not any major bug problems while spending our time there.:

Jan15SCLateA13_zpsp8trkvvj.jpg

Jan15SCLateA14_zpssktt0o8j.jpg

Jan15SCLateA9_zpsnvfbd2jq.jpg

Jan15SCLateA11_zps8idavcq9.jpg

Jan15SCLateA10_zpsbcw2zd40.jpg

Jan15SCLateA7_zps235t12cb.jpg

Lots more visual images to share from Devil's Island.

Here is an additional sampling from visiting yesterday on Devil’s Island. The third picture down is the actual one of these three islands that is called "Devil's Island". It only held a limited number of prisoners. It was used for a few of the exceptional prisoners, including Dreyfus, the falsely convicted Jewish military officer. Island looks nice, but it was not really that way if locked up in solitary confinement.:

Jan15SCLateA4_zpsizmj0yg2.jpg

Jan15SCLateA3_zps1nrvly61.jpg

Jan15SCLateA1_zpstgay3rci.jpg

Jan15SCLateA5_zpshdij9dtg.jpg

Jan15SCLateA12_zpsfygmnu9n.jpg

Jan15SCLateA15_zpsph7zp1fq.jpg

Appreciate everyone's patience and interest. Below is a little sampling for the various birds and animals that are here on Devil's Island. Except for a small hotel on the island, these creatures are now the "permanent" residents.

Enjoyed Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 96,236 views for this posting.

What about the wildlife we saw on this island? Below are some examples for the monkeys, a little “rat-like” creature (but safe, they run away), a guinea fowl bird and some of the peacocks here.:

Jan15SCLateA18_zps4ovvnjvb.jpg

Jan15SCLateA17_zps0fl0zlcw.jpg

Jan15SCLateA16_zpsbrmlz0cu.jpg

Jan15SCLateA8_zpsyol7zsyh.jpg

Jan15SCLateA2_zps8bck4hft.jpg

Jan15SCLateA6_zps4r5ynfm9.jpg

Thanks TLCO. Loving this blog.

Appreciate this kind comment from our friend in London. Lots of smart folks from the UK are following along.

Just got done with breakfast in Terrace Cafe, Had a nice omelet, plus, plus. Now in the theater awaiting the 10 am lecture presentation on the details for the amazing Amazon River, key ports, its exploration.

Cory Sandler is doing many of these presentation. He is super excellent, both for content and the visuals to keep us involved and awake. A couple of the pictures below from the Pool Grill were kindly taken last night by him. He also uses a Nikon camera, but has the fancier "full frame" model.

Cory was an Associated Press/AP wire correspondent, has authored many books and has been doing these types of cruise ship programs for the past twelve years. This includes for the past eight years exclusively with Silversea. When not doing these cruise tours, they live on Nantucket Island. A few days back, Cory and his wife were dealing with back-home challenges as that famed island location was without power for 36 hours during that NE blizzard that slammed these regions. Power is back on there and their home there is well-built to withstand such conditions. Both Cory and his wife are very nice and we are planning to do dinner with them at a future evening.

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting that shows many options and visual potentials for this city. This posting is now at 46,807 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

For dinner last night, we did the Pool Grill on the open deck of the Silver Cloud. This is a new feature/dining venue since our July 2010 cruise in Norway on this ship. Wonderfully nice to be outside, very relaxed and informal. This is also called the "Hot Rocks" as the meat or fish are cooked on a super heated lava stone. The staff helps with the process, but we can watch over things, figure out when it is ready, etc. They also furnish a starter from a choice of three different salad options, a baked potato . . . plus lots of wine, etc. There were several choices of wonderful beef options, plus a pork chop, three fish items, etc. I was "creative" in doing a filet mignon, plus adding two of the large shrimp to create a little "surf and turf" action. Bryan and Debbie from Maine joined us for dinner. They lived for a long time in San Diego and are back now in Maine where he grew up. Did we like this experience? Look at the expressions. Super fun and involving. Wonderful staff!! All of the food was very tasty!:

Jan15SCLateA50_zpssxe04cwf.jpg

Jan15SCLateA51_zpsj9dn8yno.jpg

Jan15SCLateA48_zpse27kzoqo.jpg

Jan15SCLateA49_zpshevtz5rs.jpg

Jan15SCLateA47_zpstph4vcw5.jpg

Jan15SCLateA52_zpsxmcjikcm.jpg

Yes, we did have dessert last night as a part of our dinner at the "Hot Rocks". No it was not cooked on our grill!

Then, we went down to the main show in the theater. Broadway and West End songs were spotlights with three of the singers from the production company.

Let me know any question, comments or suggestions.

Wonderful Kotor and nearby Montenegro? Check these postings. Have had over 22,758 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

Our apple pie dessert at the Pool Grill last night. With ice cream, of course. Very different in its shape, style. Super wonderful and highly enjoyable.:

Jan15SCLateA46_zpsm5fgj3bb.jpg

Cruise Director Alan King opens the show with his fun, old-style humor/style. Then, you can see the three different singers performing for this program. All were excellent with their voices, how they weaved it all together, etc. Finally, you can see Alan showing off his "happy boxes" that are different for each day of the cruise. Fun??:

Jan15SCLateA43_zps610y4tfg.jpg

Jan15SCLateA44_zpsnduko4wb.jpg

Jan15SCLateA45_zps6wmvyg5k.jpg

Jan15SCLateA42_zpscdyjfjcj.jpg

Jan15SCLateA41_zpsylvs9z0i.jpg