Chocolate Buffet on Gem

judyf

Chocoholic buffet has been replaced by Chocoholic night on most ships (if not all by now) ... Instead of a buffet, there are several chocolate based desserts available in all restaurants as well as the garden cafe on that particular evening...

Nope, they did away with it this past summer I think.

They now offer " special" chocolate desserts in the dining venues one night...

One of the most popular additions to the new dining program is sure to be Norwegian's "Chocoholic Night," which offers a choice of up to seven signature chocolate desserts in every restaurant one evening each cruise. Ranging from the delectable warm chocolate volcano to the decadent chocolate Nutella pot de crème and the white chocolate strawberry mousse, the desserts are sure to satisfy any cruiser's sweet-tooth.

Nope, they did away with it this past summer I think.

They now offer " special" chocolate desserts in the dining venues one night...

One of the most popular additions to the new dining program is sure to be Norwegian's "Chocoholic Night," which offers a choice of up to seven signature chocolate desserts in every restaurant one evening each cruise. Ranging from the delectable warm chocolate volcano to the decadent chocolate Nutella pot de crème and the white chocolate strawberry mousse, the desserts are sure to satisfy any cruiser's sweet-tooth.

Well that's disappointing.

Well that's disappointing.

Honestly, it actually makes a heck of a lot more sense, and is less stressful for both crew and passengers... The desserts are wonderful, and everyone is guaranteed to get as many as they want and there aren't anyone else's hands being drug through them on a buffet... yuck! The way people acted at some of the chocoholic buffets in the past was eye-opening to say the least...

If they really have done away with the Chocolate Buffet, I will not miss it. While the stuff looked creative, most of it was pretty tasteless, as though they were baking with something that was not real chocolate, or good chocolate. (I'm not a baker, so I have no clue what the problem was, but I love chocolate and I know it when I eat it, and this stuff was a poor imitation.)

And then add to the mix that people acted as though they'd never seen food before...

And then add to the mix that people acted as though they'd never seen food before...

That's pretty much how many people act at any buffet on any cruise ship.

Point taken, but I think this was worse, since it was a once-only per cruise event.

I love chocolate and chocolate desserts; but the Chocolate Buffet never impressed me. Sure, it looked great; but nothing had any real distinguishing flavour. It looked wonderful, but was a disappointment for the taste buds. The skewers with chocolate sauce were the best, and you can get them pretty much any night.

IMHO, you aren't missing much and an array of really good chocolate desserts would be a wonderful change.

I love chocolate and chocolate desserts; but the Chocolate Buffet never impressed me. Sure, it looked great; but nothing had any real distinguishing flavour. It looked wonderful, but was a disappointment for the taste buds. The skewers with chocolate sauce were the best, and you can get them pretty much any night.

IMHO, you aren't missing much and an array of really good chocolate desserts would be a wonderful change.

Agree with you about the poor taste of the desserts in the last few years. However, if you go back 10-15 years the chocoholic buffet was unbelievable in both taste and presentation. I wish NCL had never rung that bell.

Does anyone know what night on the Gem is chocoholic night in the dining room? Is it a random night or for example the second night of every cruise?

As I recall it was relatively late in the cruise on our 12 nighter in December...closer to night 10 than 2 I believe.

Agree with you about the poor taste of the desserts in the last few years. However, if you go back 10-15 years the chocoholic buffet was unbelievable in both taste and presentation. I wish NCL had never rung that bell.

I recall it being fantastic on the Norway years ago. I always looked forward to it. I recall that in those days it was held in late afternoon...I'm thinking at about 4 pm.

Edited by njhorseman

There is NO longer a Choc. Buffet on NCL:( It has been replaced with 1 night of all desserts made from Chocolate in one way or another. They were just OK.

We were on the GEM 12/1 - 12/13/14. We miss taking pictures of the displays of the chocolate buffet, even if we didn't indulge in much of it. Nice to see.

NCL needs to bring that back as well as go back to the "old menu" in the MDR. Also, the shows could use some help....

That's it from MOHO.:)

It was on Day 9 of our 10 day Gem cruise starting on Jan. 2, 2015. Chocolate items were featured as desserts in the Garden Café 5:30 to 9:30 P.M.

Personally, I always found it disgusting to see what people piled on their plates, and then left over to be thrown out.

I did enjoy taking pictures of the big chocolate displays in the past, but have stopped attending in recent years.

Honestly, it actually makes a heck of a lot more sense, and is less stressful for both crew and passengers... The desserts are wonderful, and everyone is guaranteed to get as many as they want and there aren't anyone else's hands being drug through them on a buffet... yuck! The way people acted at some of the chocoholic buffets in the past was eye-opening to say the least...

True. Like sharks to blood.

Here is the menu of desserts from Chocoholic Night. This is from the Dawn. I will mention that the Chocolate Volcano was available all or almost all evenings in the MDRs as well, so by the time we got to this night on our seven night cruise (Night 6), DH and I opted for other things.

15075581785_12eb1659cb_c.jpg