Sanctuary?

TomCruises

Hi there!

Does anyone know if you can purchase a group o specific days for Sanctuary during embarkation? As I recall, one had the option of purchasing the entire cruise or a BtoB portion or upon daily arrival,purchase that day upon arrival!Since its been a couple of years wanted to know if anything has changed. I have the new and improved cost available of $30 per day for entire cruise or a BtoB portion/$40 each day/$20 for a half day I'm assuming thats 8am-12pm and 12pm-4pm correct?

Comments appreciated!:)

On short cruises (5 or less days), you can book the Sanctuary by the day or half-day whenever you want. No package of $30/day if you book for the whole cruise. At least that's what the policy was on the Crown last Thursday.

Hours are 8am-4pm; half-day is 8am-12:30pm or 1pm-5pm. Cost is $40/day, $20/half-day, or $30/day for the whole cruise as a package.

I am imagining that it depends on the ship, from what I was reading.

I was just on the Emerald, and they had a package for just the sea days, but it was almost the same cost as the full week, which was available for 210.00

The daily rates were 20/40.

I am looking forward to my first cruise with Princess in July. Can someone please explain to me what is so special about the Sanctuary that they charge extra for it. I have cruised with two other cruise lines, and one had an enclosed pool area for adults only, the other had a small glass enclosed area with seating that anyone could use and there was no extra charge on either cruise lines. Just curious about this area.

I am looking forward to my first cruise with Princess in July. Can someone please explain to me what is so special about the Sanctuary that they charge extra for it. I have cruised with two other cruise lines, and one had an enclosed pool area for adults only, the other had a small glass enclosed area with seating that anyone could use and there was no extra charge on either cruise lines. Just curious about this area.

Look it up on the Princess website... Most of it is very personalized service and your own reserved lounger... plus refreshments brought to you..

Large, comfortable loungers in an adult's-only, quiet area. You select "your" lounger and no one else can use it. Attendants bring you blankets, pillows, ice towels, water, beverages, etc. as you wish. For a $3 delivery charge, they will deliver food from a menu. At 3:00-3:30pm, they serve a full afternoon tea with delicious finger sandwiches, pastries, cookies, scones and jam, coffee and a selection of teas. It's a nice way to pamper yourself.

The only ships with a pool in the Sanctuary are the Coral and Island. The others have a pool just steps away but they are not exclusive to the Sanctuary.

The newer Princess ships have loungers that are as hard as concrete...no padding whatsoever. On some ships, some loungers have light padding. Balcony furniture is now the hard as concrete chairs. I find then excruciatingly uncomfortable.

These are from the Crown a few days ago.

d4332e8f70c677aac8645af043b5da2b.jpg

af61902828a14816fd1fc20eb61629f7.jpg

The Sanctuary isn't for everyone. Because I can't use the balcony furniture no matter what I do to try to pad it, I now book cheap oceanview cabins and the Sanctuary.

How early in the morning do you need to get there to be sure to get a day booking? Do they open for booking before regular opening time? Can you book for an afternoon half-day first thing in the morning?

I haven't been on Princess in years but have three upcoming cruises each with inside cabin but all ships with Sanctuaries.

How early in the morning do you need to get there to be sure to get a day booking? Do they open for booking before regular opening time? Can you book for an afternoon half-day first thing in the morning?
Different ships seem to be experimenting/testing different booking options. I'd go to the Sanctuary after embarking to ask for their policy and recommendations.

In the past, you had to be there by 7am and wait until 8am to book a lounger for the day or half-day. I've read that some ships are now taking reservations for the next day and some for just sea days. The policies seem to be different depending on the ship and cruise. :)

Edited by Pam in CA

Different ships seem to be experimenting/testing different booking options. I'd go to the Sanctuary after embarking to ask for their policy and recommendations.

In the past, you had to be there by 7am and wait until 8am to book a lounger for the day or half-day. I've read that some ships are now taking reservations for the next day and some for just sea days. The policies seem to be different depending on the ship and cruise. :)

Thanks for the info Pam and for the pictures.

There have been reports recently that you can't even book it for the whole cruise. You have to go up every morning to book for that day only.

Varies by ship.

"Varies by ship" is one thing that annoys me about Princess.

Last week on the Ruby I booked for the week @ $30 a day instead of the usual $40 a day. ($210 per person and we were able to use it right away on Saturday)

The customer in front of me (we were both in the first 18 people to board) asked for two loungers-"just for the two sea days" and that was no problem.

Staff were very attentive and we took afternoon tea there at 3.30 each day when onboard.

Norris

Aren't the pools located near Sanctuary on the ships ie: Crown,Ruby & Emerald part of Lotus Spa?

Yes, so you do not have to have paid for the Sanctuary to use them.

On the Island and the Coral, they are located within the Sanctuary, so only those why pay for the Sanctuary can use them. (And the one on the Island will be removed this spring.)

Would like to add for those who have not used the Sanctuary, that for the ships we sailed recently, Caribbean and Ruby, the Sanctuary is only accessible by stairs ... the nearby pool is the spa pool (down a flight of stairs) and the closet bathroom is in the spa (also down a flight of stairs). Stairs are not an issue for us, but may be for some, especially if you drinks lots of cucumber and orange water.

We were able to reserve/book only our sea days on both ships, just after embarkation. It's a non-refundable reservation, though, and the sanctuary is located in the front of the ships for Ruby and Caribbean, which can mean windy and cold if it's a cloudy sea day. (They have lots of towels and blankets, too, if you get chilled 😉)

Would like to add for those who have not used the Sanctuary, that for the ships we sailed recently, Caribbean and Ruby, the Sanctuary is only accessible by stairs ...

On the Emerald, Ruby and Crown there is an ADA compliant elevator from outside the wedding chapel on deck 16 up to the Sanctuary deck on deck 17.

• 1 month later...

I posted this info on another thread---

First, on the Royal, and I guess then, the Regal as well- the sanctuary is located far forward on the ship- adult pool in the front of it, was impossibly windy--

At that time (April 2014) because sailing was over spring break for many, my dh and I were willing to pay for a quiet kid free area. Since we were not about to get up and wait on line each morning to book a left over lounge for the next day- we went for broke (literally) and booked for the entire week.

We were among the first to get on the ship. We ran like maniacs- myself to the sanctuary, my dh to purchase 2 of the 40 available passes for the enclave.

I get to the sanctuary. Most of the loungers were available as very few were taken from back2backers. So I picked two that were in the best "shaded" areas. (My legs were horribly sunburned in that area, by the way.)

For a few of the days when we went into sanctuary for our reserved loungers, there were people using them. Apparently (we paid $560 for the week for them-- $40 per lounge for 7 days for two people) people had no problem sneaking into the area and just using whatever loungers were free. Yes we felt like morons. I complained several times (and no, I am not a complainer)

manager just kept saying sorry- and yes he did feel bad---

let's just say that I did not tip anything having to do with the sanctuary. The middle shaded seats were always in use during the few hours that I wanted to use the area.

I would be willing to try it out on another ship, but only if I can pre reserve for sea days only, and if there really is a truly shaded area. I will not run like a crazy person for this, ever again.

I just don't know about this Sanctuary thing. Seems high priced to me. On Oasis of the Seas, the adult area was very nice, with a pool & hot tubs and there was no extra charge. On the MSC Divina, they charged for it but it was up a long flight of stairs and didn't seem all that special.

Agreed. After spending considerable time in Celebrity's free adult Solarium I'll never pay for the Sanctuary again. And seriously, who wants to line up at 7 am in hopes of getting a chair

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. After spending considerable time in Celebrity's free adult Solarium I'll never pay for the Sanctuary again. And seriously, who wants to line up at 7 am in hopes of getting a chair
Had an "interesting" experience on the Grand to/from Hawaii last month. I was able to book a specific lounger for only sea days. Then, even though the lounger was reserved for those days, I was charged only for the morning, afternoon, or day that I actually used it. We had a lot of sea days and I'd often go to get-togethers in the morning and the Sanctuary in the afternoon. I'd be charged only for that afternoon.

I would assume that when notified the manager removed the folks in question?

I am not a fan of the design on those two ships. I can see why they have problems as its hard to visually survey the entire area.

I posted this info on another thread---

First, on the Royal, and I guess then, the Regal as well- the sanctuary is located far forward on the ship- adult pool in the front of it, was impossibly windy--

At that time (April 2014) because sailing was over spring break for many, my dh and I were willing to pay for a quiet kid free area. Since we were not about to get up and wait on line each morning to book a left over lounge for the next day- we went for broke (literally) and booked for the entire week.

We were among the first to get on the ship. We ran like maniacs- myself to the sanctuary, my dh to purchase 2 of the 40 available passes for the enclave.

I get to the sanctuary. Most of the loungers were available as very few were taken from back2backers. So I picked two that were in the best "shaded" areas. (My legs were horribly sunburned in that area, by the way.)

For a few of the days when we went into sanctuary for our reserved loungers, there were people using them. Apparently (we paid $560 for the week for them-- $40 per lounge for 7 days for two people) people had no problem sneaking into the area and just using whatever loungers were free. Yes we felt like morons. I complained several times (and no, I am not a complainer)

manager just kept saying sorry- and yes he did feel bad---

let's just say that I did not tip anything having to do with the sanctuary. The middle shaded seats were always in use during the few hours that I wanted to use the area.

I would be willing to try it out on another ship, but only if I can pre reserve for sea days only, and if there really is a truly shaded area. I will not run like a crazy person for this, ever again.