Increased price of drinks packages

Darren267

Has anyone noticed a reasonable increase in the price of drinks packages in the last couple of months? My partner bought his premium package for our 11 night June cruise a while before Christmas and the price was £396 plus 15% gratuity and I've just bought mine but the price has gone up to £441 plus 15%. I bought mine tonight so before the gratuity increases to 18% on 1 Feb, so that doesn't explain the difference.

It's my fault for not buying it earlier and I know prices go up from time to time but I wasn't expecting it to go up so much for the same cruise! I'll know to buy the package as soon as possible next time! Oh well, lesson learnt.

Hi Darren,

We have offered promotions in the past where a beverage package was discounted if you bought in advance.

The last time this was done was February of 2014.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

I booked through a UK agent so pay for everything in £ so don't think its the exchange variation, but good suggestion. I think the price is set here from the UK for UK bookings.

Not sure how the £ is doing relative to the US $ but if it's tanking like the Canadian $ is that probably explains it. The Canadian $ has gone down quite a bit lately and I've noticed prices have increased on some items by 10% (my booking is directly with Celebrity in Canadian $ and everything I've purchased/upgraded since the booking is also in Canadian $). Ultimately everything on board is in US $ even if you book and pay in another currency. Celebrity alters the exchange rate every now and then and perhaps that is what happened.

Edited by RickT

Thanks for your replies. It looks like it might be the exchange variation then, I didn't realise that worldwide 'local' prices might be updated following changes in the dollar. The good news is I can keep an eye on the prices and if the prices reduce again I can cancel the package and buy it again at the lower price.

I booked through a UK agent so pay for everything in £ so don't think its the exchange variation, but good suggestion. I think the price is set here from the UK for UK bookings.

The price is dependant on exchange rates. Although the prices do not change daily, they are adjusted periodically to reflect changes in the fx rate. This applies to all cruise add-ons. However, recent reports on Cruise Critic have been that an extremely favourable exchange rate is being used and your partner may still have benefitted from an offer, as suggested by CelebrityCruises.

Unless the rate has changed in the past day or two, you may want to consider purchasing some OBC for your cruise that rate is [or was] extremely good.