Less 1st time passengers with low oil prices?

mcatmcat

I love going in a cruise and I'm sure most of us at cruise critic are in the same page. But with oil prices going down do you think the cruise industry will have a hard time attracting new or existing costumes since they might look for an alternative vacation or do you think it won't have any impact?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I can't imagine why oil prices dropping will keep people from cruising. If anything, prices might go down a bit. But in my opinion it's unlikely that people opted for a cruise vs. driving around the country. In reality it will likely encourage more cruisers. Now driving to the cruise vs. flying is more of a reality, and flying may become cheaper due to lower oil prices too.

Cruising is such a unique vacation, I don't really see it as an "alternative." Certainly lower oil prices will likely allow more people to travel and the "staycation" that so many opted for may become less and less of a reality as more people hit the road.

The lower oil prices go, the more money available for spending available to Joe and Jane consumer. I wouldn't expect cruise prices to drop because of oil prices, I would expect demand for cruise rooms to increase as people have more disposable income.

LMaxwell: Oh I agree. I have heard more than a dozen people, this year say they had booked a cruise, that had been doing the staycation for about 4-6 yrs. Families could grab some really good rates with the 1/2 deposits, 2nd person @50% off, etc. That is the way it plays out...lower oil prices, lead to more cash in our pockets, and that leads to more thoughts of, how can I spend this cash! The economy in general caused me to cut out a week plus cruise but I added it to this years plans. We drive more than 100 miles a day and gas prices do impact our family. Just a few weeks of lower pump costs have given our family smiles!!!

The lower oil prices go, the more money available for spending available to Joe and Jane consumer. I wouldn't expect cruise prices to drop because of oil prices, I would expect demand for cruise rooms to increase as people have more disposable income.

I completely agree and I'm thinking you'll see many first time cruiser families in the future. Royal is really going after the family market lately.

Who knows how long gas prices will stay this low so it certainly would seem like an ideal time to take a road trip. A lot of RVs have been collecting dust these past few years.

We keep saying we're going to take a break from cruising for awhile but there always seems to be "just one more" we have to do. Now we have "just two more" :) But then there's the free cruise points we still have to use:eek:

It might mean less people cruising out of Galveston because of the Energy Companies laying off people in the Houston Area...Schlumberger - 9000 jobs; Baker Hughes - 6000 Jobs, BP - freezing wages and laying off people. All energy companies are slashing capital budgets for 2015 by 30-60% which eventually trickles down. I agree more disposable income for average consumer but does impact some negatively based on where you live.

But cruise prices have not gone down. I booked my cruise last June for this July. Price has not gone below what I booked since.

There is no reason for cruise prices to go down. Demand for cruises increases which stabilizes prices or causes prices to rise.