Carnival Breeze vs NCL Escape

travelbug771

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Some reading on the portion of Cruise Critic devoted to NCL, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107

and the portion devoted to Carnival, here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=215

will get you all the info you need on the two lines.

No. On NCL, not everything is for a fee. In fact, you get approximately the same amount of things complimentary as you would on most other mass market cruise lines. We've sailed CCL, RCI, PCL and NCL.

The reason why some people complain about fees and nickel/diming has everything to do with relative perception. Since NCL ships have more specialty dining options and specialty shows (Cirque Dreams, Illusionarium) compared to most ships on other cruise lines, people perceive that everything is for a fee. When in fact, it's simply because there are more "at a fee" options. You will still get complimentary dining at the buffet, MDR (2 or 3 depending on ship), 24 hour pub and room service as well as complimentary Broadway production and regular staff/guest production shows.

Edited by rudeboie

Trying to decide on a cruise for the family next Jan. NCL has a great promo of 3&4 passengers free. We have never done a NCL and my concerns are that everything will be for fee. Is this true? Is the food good on NCL? What is for fee? Please help!

First, cruise agent here...been on all except Costa & MSC...Not true about everything on NCL is $$..many restaurants are free including O'Sheehan's Pub, a 24 hour Irish Pub that has fish & chips, wings & ribs for FREE..also there are 2 dining rooms that are free..HOWEVER, you would be crazy ( IMO) not to try at least 1-2 specialty dining venues..I would suggest Teppanyaki's, a Japanese Steakhouse where the food is cooked right at your table, hibachi style..kids love this because the chef is very entertaining throwing the food in the air, making jokes, etc..also either Le Bistro ( French, wonderful!) or Cagney's ( American Steakhouse) are also terrific..all are around $25-30 PP, BUT, you can see if the "Ultimate Dining Package" is offered for free, or sometimes a $119 pp fee...these are great deals because the difference in the food is night & day..also, the Escape has a great waterpark area with a ropes course & slides..the Breeze also has a nice waterpark & slides, but entertainment & dining, IMO, cannot compete with NCL...also, I LOVE Tortola, which I think NCL is going to..if so, don't miss THE BATHS excursion- these are caves under rocks, where you can walk thru and come out at a beach..very cool...shows & entertainment are top notch on NCL..they are known for 2 things: Freestyle dining & lots of options, and entertainment..also, the new "Waterfront" area on these new NCL ships are fantastic- you can dine or have drinks OUTSIDE overlooking the sea! This is on deck 8...The Breeze is nice ship, but I would choose the brand new & exciting Escape..you can see the Escape on the NCL website in a YouTube video clip that is very good...any other questions let me know..BTW, the "nickel & diming" belief is not true..other cruise lines charge you for the same things NCL does...and Carnival is NOT offering a dining package because A) they don't have enough specialty venues to offer this, and 2) They just don't offer it..nobody really does EXCEPT NCL...and they also offer a beverage package that also sometimes is free ( you can choose between free drinks or free dining..)

Big Al

Unable to compare the two ships for you. I have been on NCL twice and Carnival 8 times. Both times with NCL, I was not happy. I love Carnival! I have been on RCI 8 times, Princess twice and Disney once. RCI was my favorite until they outpriced themselves. I am now faithful to Carnival. Going on my 9th cruise with Carnival in August on the Breeze. All the reviews I have read are all positive

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

No one's been on the Norwegian Escape (still under construction) and there are no true sister ships as it will be part of a brand new ship class (though Breakaway Class will probably be the closest in terms of ship layout). I've been on the Carnival Breeze (and its sister Dream twice). Been on the Norwegian Epic, Breakaway as well as a few other smaller NCL ships. Preference will certainly be based on what you want out of the cruise. Breeze has a more party atmosphere than an NCL mega ship, which is a bit more laid back in comparison. Breeze has better comedic acts at the Punchliner than any NCL ship I've been on. However, the rest of the entertainment as part of the Funship 2.0 was disappointing (pre-Funship 2.0 ships like Dream has better production shows). NCL ships generally have better entertainment and more food options.

Done 6 NCL , 3 Carnival, 2 RCI and 1 Princess cruise. Personally, I prefer NCL for the range of entertainment, food options and Freestyle concept. However, it's your cruise so you need to decide on what matters to you most on a cruise. Food? Entertainment? Atmosphere?

Edited by rudeboie

I've been on the Breeze and on Escape's sister ship (Getaway). I recommend Breeze.

Unable to compare the two ships for you. I have been on NCL twice and Carnival 8 times. Both times with NCL, I was not happy. I love Carnival! I have been on RCI 8 times, Princess twice and Disney once. RCI was my favorite until they outpriced themselves. I am now faithful to Carnival. Going on my 9th cruise with Carnival in August on the Breeze. All the reviews I have read are all positive

Sent from my KFTT using Forums mobile app

Just an FYI- The Getaway's not the Escape's sister ship, that would be the Breakaway..and 2nd, the Breeze's score for reviews are 70% here on CC, Getaway's is 73 %..No comparison between options on dining or shows, Getaway easily has more options- 29 dining options, more than any other ship afloat..PLUS remember the Ultimate Dining Package being offered now is the best deal on any cruise line- all specialty dining (except Blu's) venues are FREE with the package...big negative for me- no more reggae bands on Carnival, replaced now by loud Top 40 DJ's playing music so loud, you can't even talk to whomever is sitting next to you..I LOVE Caribbean music, and feel it's part of the cruise experience- not some kid playing terrible music..reviews of shows have been very mixed, mostly negative, unlike Illusionarium Dinner show & Legally Blonde, both have very high marks along with the Grammy's Show, a tribute to past Grammy winners...both ships are nice, but if dining, entertainment and a Waterfront area where you can dine outside if you choose or have a drink watching the stars & the ocean at night sounds appealing, the Getaway is the better choice..I have sent 30+ people on the Getaway and all have loved it...

Big Al

I have sailed on Carnival four times and NCL once. I will say after sailing on the Getaway last week. Never sailing Carnival again. NCL was absolutely better on every aspect for what Im personally looking for on a cruise vacation.

That doesn't make any sense.

Ship Class - Ship(s)

NCL America - Pride Of America

Spirit Class - Spirit

Sun Class - Sun/Sky

Dawn Class - Dawn/Star

Jewel Class - Jewel/Jade/Pearl/Gem

Breakaway Class - Breakaway/Getaway

Epic (F3) Class - Epic

Breakaway Plus Class - Escape/Bliss(2017)

Edited by rudeboie

Ship Class - Ship(s)

NCL America - Pride Of America

Spirit Class - Spirit

Sun Class - Sun/Sky

Dawn Class - Dawn/Star

Jewel Class - Jewel/Jade/Pearl/Gem

Epic (F3) Class - Epic

Correct!!! Thank you...

Big Al

Ship Class - Ship(s)

I get that. I just didn't understand big al's post. Re-reading it, I see what he meant, but the way it's worded, it sounds as though he was saying Escape is Breakaway's sister ship.

Just an FYI- The Getaway's not the Escape's sister ship, that would be the Breakaway..

Trying to decide on a cruise for the family next Jan. NCL has a great promo of 3&4 passengers free. We have never done a NCL and my concerns are that everything will be for fee. Is this true? Is the food good on NCL? What is for fee? Please help!

I've been on ten Carnival cruises and two NCL cruises. NCL is very similar to Carnival. The main difference is in the number of fee restaurants. While Carnival has only one, NCL has many. Nonetheless, NCL will have free (or included) options, just like Carnival has. There will be a regular dining room that you can enjoy a free/included meal in and a buffet which is also free.

In short, you can enjoy all the same free things on NCL that you can on Carnival. The major difference will be that there are more fee based options on NCL than on Carnival.

Where will Escape be based?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have posted this question in the First Time Cruisers section of the New Cruisers forum. You are more likely to find your answer in the NCL section of the Cruise Lines A-O forum. I suggest you ask your question there.

You have posted this question in the First Time Cruisers section of the New Cruisers forum. You are more likely to find your answer in the NCL section of the Cruise Lines A-O forum. I suggest you ask your question there.

This thread is talking about the ship, and most people seem to know something about it, so this seems perfectly appropriate place to ask.

Sent from my iPad using Forums