Disappointed with Royal Carib-

pkhddt

Hey There! Keep looking.....you'll find something. It just takes a lot of doing these days!! Very frustrating' date=' I know!![/size']

Just like with a lot of other things today, I do a lot of looking -- whether it is milk/food or clothes.....where is the best price or at least a price I am willing to pay.

Spending your vacation dollars is not different, and why should it be.

Well, thanks to the marketing gamesmanship of RCL, they just lost out on vacation dollars they try so hard to get. For me, it was never about the price, but rather the BS in trying to mislead me. In fact, what I didn't post was that I called and spoke to the RCL agent because I just wasn't getting the math. She BEGGED me to send an email to corporate concerning the same, because she was getting so many upset calls over this issue. She said she was tired of getting yelled at on the phone, because I was not the only one that was unable to follow their math. I assured her that I wouldn't yell at her (having worked customer service myself in the past) and that I understood her frustration.

In shopping other lines, we found some great new itineraries. We picked up the Carnival Dream from New Orleans and are looking at Princess for a couple months later. We looked at Celebrity, but remembered that it is another RCL product, and this misleading communication thing is just a matter of principle.

A lot of people are down on Carnival, but our experience has been fine. In car terms it seems like Carnival is the Chevy, RCL and Princess are the Buicks and Celebrity is the Cadillac. Holland America was just a bit older crowd than we typically enjoy vacationing with.

We already attained Emerald on RCL and were looking to build some points to Diamond, but given this recent sales tactic, we are going to pass for now. Had they NOT played the 50% off game, we would have booked the cruise, even if the cost were higher. It would seem that an asterisk and the words "price as shown reflects discounted price" or something to that effect.

I welcome the day that they return to honest straightforward communication.

Hey There! Keep looking.....you'll find something. It just takes a lot of doing these days!! Very frustrating' date=' I know!![/size']

Jane, do you ever book off the Tuesday specials?

Back to the OP, I can usually wade thru the booking verbiage and figure out the true cost, including airfare, which I buy my self. So what does it cost to fly from Southern Cal. to NO?

I haven't booked a cruise in over a year and I've heard that pricing is up. So when we go on the Jewel OTS in Sept., we might be booking something to get the OBC offered. And maybe not.

I agree it could be more clear but there aren't too many businesses that don't use the same or similar model in their advertising.

The final out the door cost is all I'm interested in. If it's a good price I'm in, if not I shop around for something better.

I like the RC ships and I know my way around on them so it would take something a lot more than a badly worded sale to make me switch. But I hope it all works out for you in the end.

Well, thanks to the marketing gamesmanship of RCL, they just lost out on vacation dollars they try so hard to get. For me, it was never about the price, but rather the BS in trying to mislead me. In fact, what I didn't post was that I called and spoke to the RCL agent because I just wasn't getting the math. She BEGGED me to send an email to corporate concerning the same, because she was getting so many upset calls over this issue. She said she was tired of getting yelled at on the phone, because I was not the only one that was unable to follow their math. I assured her that I wouldn't yell at her (having worked customer service myself in the past) and that I understood her frustration.

In shopping other lines, we found some great new itineraries. We picked up the Carnival Dream from New Orleans and are looking at Princess for a couple months later. We looked at Celebrity, but remembered that it is another RCL product, and this misleading communication thing is just a matter of principle.

A lot of people are down on Carnival, but our experience has been fine. In car terms it seems like Carnival is the Chevy, RCL and Princess are the Buicks and Celebrity is the Cadillac. Holland America was just a bit older crowd than we typically enjoy vacationing with.

We already attained Emerald on RCL and were looking to build some points to Diamond, but given this recent sales tactic, we are going to pass for now. Had they NOT played the 50% off game, we would have booked the cruise, even if the cost were higher. It would seem that an asterisk and the words "price as shown reflects discounted price" or something to that effect.

There are several places where one sees the "fine print"

Prices below reflect current promotional discount

*Prices are average per person, based on double occupancy, reflect promotional savings, for cruise only,

I had the same issue. 339pp turned into $549 for the first person and $284.00 for the 2nd, which is $175 MORE than the original $339.00 per person.

Yet, I still booked because my husband and I have incredibly limited dates with which to work. I was not very happy about the math.

I had the same issue. 339pp turned into $549 for the first person and $284.00 for the 2nd, which is $175 MORE than the original $339.00 per person.

Yet, I still booked because my husband and I have incredibly limited dates with which to work. I was not very happy about the math.

Did that include the taxes/fees?

Well, thanks to the marketing gamesmanship of RCL, they just lost out on vacation dollars they try so hard to get. For me, it was never about the price, but rather the BS in trying to mislead me........

I also guess you will stop buying cars and rent a car. Car sales are loaded with all kinds of gimmicks, and before they really will talk to you they want to know what kind of car you have to trade in and what you want as your monthly payment....so they can 'fleece' you with the cost of the car to balance out the trade in so that they can get you to the 'monthly amount you want to pay' for a lot more months than you want and throw in an extended warranty that you should not need.

Or rent a car without hassle for a reasonable price....a fellow cruiser on my upcoming Indy cruise, just pulled his hair out trying to arrange a car rental from Fort Myers to Fort Lauderdale and back again....one day each way and they wanted him to rent for a week.

Life would be much better with much simpler communications and marketing.....but it sure hasn't evolved that way....I could add cable services or cell phone services....but by now some people won't be buying anything.

Edited by Paulette3028

Add us to the list of people who love Royal Caribbean, but don't feel like I'm getting a good value anymore. The prices for cruises I am considering are outrageous compared to other cruiselines for similar cruises during the same timeframe, and we're looking elsewhere. Our last 2 cruises were on Celebrity (which I realize is an RCI company) and we also enjoyed our Princess cruises.

Maybe we have just been lucky or that when we can cruise we have found reasonable fares, but I don't share the 'oh my gosh, I am leaving because of pricing' that others feel.

Has some old perceived perks disappeared....some would say yes. If you consider a perk having towel animals every nite a perk, then I guess so. If you feel that the chocolate mints made you feel more special and now that they are gone, you are unhappy, I guess so. If you feel that needing to ask that ice be in an ice bucket twice a day is too much to have to do, I guess so.

Those things I don't perceive as perks that matter to me.

Yes, I want ice in my room.....so I ask. It is fine. If I want chocolate, there are plenty of places to get my fix on board. We still get the cute towel animals, just not as many, so be it.

What does disturb me is how much more work the cabin staff has to do, since there is less cabin stewards. But my service hasn't changed -- I still get what I want done for me from my cabin steward.

What does disturb me is how many fewer wait staff there is -- therefore they are working harder to deliver to me, what I always seem to have -- excellent service. But with less people using the MDR and many cruisers going to the specialty restaurants, perhaps what I am getting in quality service, is like it was -- except sometimes I have to ask for something rather than the wait staff just assuming I want it -- example coffee with my dessert.

Has food on the ships changed....a little, but if I don't like something I order something else. Food has changed in some of the restaurants I go to back home....but there, if I don't like something I can't just order something else, without paying more for it.

I don't sweat these things.....we look for the best price for the cruise we want, and perceive we are getting a good value.

I know this seems to elicit a lot of anger and confusion. But truthfully, if you like the bottom line price of the cruise, book it. If you don't, then don't book it. It all comes down to bottom line price. Doesn't matter how you get there, be it WOW, lot's of OBC, rate discounts, C & A discounts, etc. What matters is the bottom line cost. I booked Rhapsody for the Greek Isles on a WOW, and even with all the different promotions since, my "bottom line" is still less than any other sales, offers, costs, etc.

This is kind of my philosophy too. Somehow, sometime ago, I became comfortable at $1100 each. There are 3 of us. So however Royal wants to do it, okay so be it, whatever the total I divide by 3 - if it's around 1100.00 I book, if it's not I don't.

I understand. We pick our cruise, select our cabin, if the total is what we feel comfortable with, we are good to go. Blessed to be able to do something we enjoy. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff. Happy cruising

Yep. This response, right here. ^^^^

This is kind of my philosophy too. Somehow, sometime ago, I became comfortable at $1100 each. There are 3 of us. So however Royal wants to do it, okay so be it, whatever the total I divide by 3 - if it's around 1100.00 I book, if it's not I don't.

My wife has a threshold of $1000 for solo. That may come down a bit next year when the solo supplement becomes 150% for her

Let me just ask....that $1100 per person amount is for what length of cruise?

I truly believe....research the cruise you want, find what you feel is a good price for that cruise line/itinerary and book it.

Let me just ask....that $1100 per person amount is for what length of cruise?

Yes, I thought about that after I posted. This would be for a balcony - 7 days on RC and 7 or 8 days on a newer Carnival ship.

Edited by 2bthereagain

Yes, I thought about that after I posted. This would be for a balcony - 7 days on RC and 7 or 8 days on a newer Carnival ship.

That would be fair to me, if that was including every tax and charge the cruise line adds on -- without any excursions and extras.