RCCL Pre buying OBC.

Rang up my TA today to try and buy some OBC. He advised that certainly they can do this for me but he didn't recommend it.

The reason is they have had so many instances where upon boarding the ship passengers have found no record of their OBC in the system and RCI advise to chase up with your TA. Not an easy thing to do once at sea.

He also advised it has sometimes taken weeks for the matters to be sorted out and a refund made to clients after returning from the cruise.. Apparently the TA has to ring RCI and if they get someone on the other end who doesn't add the OBC to your booking correctly then it just doesn't appear at the Ships end of things.

He wasn't trying to scare me off doing it, only pointing out the risks. I opted not to proceed.. Yes I know I'm chicken when it comes to these kinds of issues.

You only need the TA involved if your TA is US based in which case the $1 for $1 will not apply. If still interested, ring them direct as Cruiseine21 has said, it is also what I did. 1800 754 500 follow the prompts. :D

I booked with a TA but I rang Royal direct and purchased the credit. I received an email confirmation so I have it in writing.

You

Edited by MicCanberra

I booked with a TA but I rang Royal direct and purchased the credit. I received an email confirmation so I have it in writing.

I had also booked our two cruises through a travel agent but phoned Royal direct to buy the OBC. I received an email confirmation straight away while I was still speaking with the Royal rep and the OBC was in my account when I boarded, along with a card in the room along with the other documentation.

Tango gulf , I rang that number this morning and got my OBC with a confirmation email straight away with the details of my sailing, booking number and ship, so they CANT deny you've done it!! I also was able to go online and book OBC for a booking I have with a TA here in Oz and that came through with the same confirmation.

Don't be afraid because of yr travel agents negative views, this deal is a one off and is too good to let pass. [emoji5]️

If you are worried that it is too good to be true, then don't stress and just pay your account at the end of the cruise. Some people prefer that, while others prefer to pre pay and avoid the bill shock. This method (at the moment) just happens to be saving some money at the same time.:D

Ok bought 1:1 dollars this afternoon(OBC)

Asked if I dont spend it all and they say you can request balance of dollars (either AU or US) from Customer Service desk before you dis-embark.

Not on website at all, but should still be available until end of week.

Have got my confirmation for the deal already sent to email address.

So ready to sail ....

Hi Kev, just been reading your info. When I bought OBC today the lass said that Customer Service will give us the balance of US dollars after settling account.

Cannot wait to see what happens when you try this weekend. Enjoy your cruise

Hi Kev, just been reading your info. When I bought OBC today the lass said that Customer Service will give us the balance of US dollars after settling account.

Cannot wait to see what happens when you try this weekend. Enjoy your cruise

Yes, hopefully Ken can settle some issues for some of us.:D

Thank you for all the help you have all provided. I have just bought $1000 us for $1000 aud for my upcoming cruise on ROTS. I was informed that any unused money would be put back on my credit card.

Thank you xx

This is certainly what happens from my experience and been confirmed in all posts. I have had unused OBC refundable returned to my card a number of times but never any that was purchased under the current deal.

The unanswered question is how they do the conversion when they return it. Do they do it at your card's forex rate for the day or do they just return it back to AUD at a 1-1 basis.

I think we will not know thee definitive answer for a week or2 because it takes 5-8 days for unused money to be returned.

Edited by woodyren

This is certainly what happens from my experience and been confirmed in all posts. I have had unused OBC refundable returned to my card a number of times but never any that was purchased under the current deal.

The unanswered question is how they do the conversion when they return it. Do they do it at your card's forex rate for the day or do they just return it back to AUD at a 1-1 basis.

I think we will not know thee definitive answer for a week or2 because it takes 5-8 days for unused money to be returned.

That is the question for sure, Ken may be able to tell us straight away if he can cash out and otherwise waiting a week or so for the conversion query.:D

Thanks to everyones input and comments, just bought some OBC for two cruises, couldn't for the upcoming Radiance cruise as I had booked it though a US TA.

Also got some for Mum n Dad who are joining us for their first cruise since the 70's. Took all day explaining to them about gratuities, USD onboard, drink packages etc!

My confirmation also showed "currency AUD" on the top, hopefully all is good and that refers to the currency it was bought in.

In the Restriction area it states "discount" so figure that is the promotion??

Chez

Edited by cheznandy

Have purchased some OBC for a RCI cruise next year Feb but was unable to get any for the 2 Celebrity cruises in April and May 2016 as they are too far out - more than 12 months away.

So if your cruise is over a year away you will have to wait. The good news is that the lady told me that this price matching occurs fairly often, we just need to keep an eye out for the specials again in the future.:D

Have purchased some OBC for a RCI cruise next year Feb but was unable to get any for the 2 Celebrity cruises in April and May 2016 as they are too far out - more than 12 months away.

So if your cruise is over a year away you will have to wait. The good news is that the lady told me that this price matching occurs fairly often, we just need to keep an eye out for the specials again in the future.:D

If it wasn't for Woodyren we would not know about this promotion. We did not receive an email from RCCL and we have 7 future cruises booked. We appreciate the offer in the current economic climate (read lousy exchange rate!) and don't want RCCL to withdraw their offer by trying to make money from them. We bought OBC for our Quantum cruises and it has shown up on the Visa statement, although again, we have not received a confirmation email.

Where would we keep an eye out for any future promotion? We don't have a reservation number yet for an Azamara cruise in late 2016 but would definitely buy OBC again for that one as it is a charter cruise and all day drinks not included.

If it wasn't for Woodyren we would not know about this promotion. We did not receive an email from RCCL and we have 7 future cruises booked. We appreciate the offer in the current economic climate (read lousy exchange rate!) and don't want RCCL to withdraw their offer by trying to make money from them. We bought OBC for our Quantum cruises and it has shown up on the Visa statement, although again, we have not received a confirmation email.

Where would we keep an eye out for any future promotion? We don't have a reservation number yet for an Azamara cruise in late 2016 but would definitely buy OBC again for that one as it is a charter cruise and all day drinks not included.

I suppose the best spot is right here on CC.

Woodyren started the thread here in the Aus/NZ forum but he got the message from another thread also on CC (possibly Celebrity or RCI) I had already bought some before this thread had started and was waiting for my confirmation prior to posting as the $ for $ did sound to good to be true.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I don't know why you couldn't book for your Celebrity cruises as I just added another $400 to an already booked $200 for a celebrity cruise in Mar 2017!

Did it both online and over the phone no problem at all.

I don't know why you couldn't book for your Celebrity cruises as I just added another $400 to an already booked $200 for a celebrity cruise in Mar 2017!

Did it both online and over the phone no problem at all.

It did sound odd but hey, the lady said our bookings were showing but the system wasn't allowing it as it was more than one year out. I will need to call back I think.:D

hi there, been reading all the posts and want to ring and put some on, we leave Tuesday for our cruise,

can anyone tell me what department you talk to, I went thru the prompts on the ph for RCI and ended up with the last one wanting to know did I want to change my booking,

clearly I went wrong somewhere and ended up in wrong area,

would love some advise here pls

hi there, been reading all the posts and want to ring and put some on, we leave Tuesday for our cruise,

can anyone tell me what department you talk to, I went thru the prompts on the ph for RCI and ended up with the last one wanting to know did I want to change my booking,

clearly I went wrong somewhere and ended up in wrong area,

would love some advise here pls

That is where I go as well, '4 -amend booking' and then transferred.:D

You need to get through to "Cruise Administration".