Wine sales in supermarkets?

Does Australia sell wine in their supermarkets? RCI will allow me to take two bottles on board and I plan to. :D

Also when I sailed the Mediterranean, I had heard and it was true, the cruiseline didn't hassle us when we brought wine back on board from the ports, especially Italy.

We plan to visit a winery out of Newcastle. Do you know if they are strict with taking it away until the last night, or don't they care?

Thanks

Does Australia sell wine in their supermarkets? RCI will allow me to take two bottles on board and I plan to. :D

Also when I sailed the Mediterranean, I had heard and it was true, the cruiseline didn't hassle us when we brought wine back on board from the ports, especially Italy.

We plan to visit a winery out of Newcastle. Do you know if they are strict with taking it away until the last night, or don't they care?

Thanks

Some Supermarkets have bottle shops attached for buying alcohol.

I assume you will board in Sydney and there is a bottle shop right by Circular Quay that can cater for your needs. As for the RCI policy of taking bottles of wine until the last night, I would assume like other lines that the policy is a bit hit and miss. You could take the chance but be left with having to cart the excess bottles back off the ship. If there are particular bottles (mixed pack of six or a dozen) that you would like to have, most wineries can send them to your home for you. Have fun.:D

I can recommend The Australian Wine Centre opposite Circular Quay, unlike Bottle Shops attached to Supermarkets this shop stocks interesting wines from all the different Australian regions not just the 'big' brands. Even though the wines are not the cheap and cheerfuls we have always found a good selection of well priced wines. Also you don't have to carry them far :D

As for wineries sending boxes of wine to your home address, it is a little different for US customers as your laws through your FDA are extremely strict. I know this as my Boss has often wanted me to organise wine sent to clients or friends in the US and I have to do this through a wine merchant or winery that has all the correct FDA approvals. Your ordinary little cellar door sales at a boutique winery would not have this in place, not unless they export to the US on a regular basis.

I can recommend The Australian Wine Centre opposite Circular Quay, unlike Bottle Shops attached to Supermarkets this shop stocks interesting wines from all the different Australian regions not just the 'big' brands. Even though the wines are not the cheap and cheerfuls we have always found a good selection of well priced wines. Also you don't have to carry them far :D

As for wineries sending boxes of wine to your home address, it is a little different for US customers as your laws through your FDA are extremely strict. I know this as my Boss has often wanted me to organise wine sent to clients or friends in the US and I have to do this through a wine merchant or winery that has all the correct FDA approvals. Your ordinary little cellar door sales at a boutique winery would not have this in place, not unless they export to the US on a regular basis.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.:o

As mentionrd above some ships are a bit hit and miss about what you can take on board.

We recently purchased 6 bottles of wine organic wine we found at an organic supermarket in Napier New Zealand. When we went back on board (Sea Princess) we declared our 6 bottles but we were told we could keep them in our cabin. This was towards the end of the cruise so that may have made a difference.

We live close by the Hunter Valley and you will find excellent wines there.

Our favourite is Piggs Peak wines

thank you. I will try and get to the shop by circular quay. We will be in the Marriott right there the day before.

Could you recommend a full bodied red that we maybe can get in that store. We prefer Cabernets. Probably in the AU$25-35 range.

RCI does allow 2 bottles on embarkation. In florida we find, people can put two bottles each in their carry on without an issue. Security isn't trying to figure out who is with whom. They crack down during spring break and holiday sailings.

Since we now have access to the lounges with complimentary drinks each night for three hours, we were ending up taking wine back home with us that we never drank.

However, now Royal allows you to bring wine to the main dining room without a corkage fee. So we are back to looking at bringing a couple of bottles on board.

Newcastle is our first stop. There are Hunter Valley wine tours or dolphins swims as far as interested us. I was originally booked on a different date and was to do a private tour for six of us. Now that I'm on the Feb. cruise, I am looking at the ship tour. (do not like ship tours, but its certainly better than doing nothing.).

I do not plan on shipping ANYTHING home. We have an awesome wine store called "Total Wine". it carries everything. Tons of Australia wines too. I love my red wine and appreciate a good wine, but I'm definitely not a wine snob.

Edited by Trekker954

I didn't know they had relaxed the corkage fees on wine (brought on)., thanks for that. Lots of good reds, it really depends on whether you like a shiraz, a merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon or a blend. Full bodied implies the Cab sav, so I would recommend the Wolf Blass Yellow label cab sav, and it should be bought for under $20. A Penfold's Koonunga Hill Cab Sav is also good (under $20) along with a Pepperjack for just over $20. The bottle shop by circular key may have higher mark ups so not sure if the pricing is going to be the same. good luck and enjoy the good times.:D

Thanks. I can get both in my local Total Wine. The penfold Koonunga Shiraz/Cab blend is just US$9.99 and the Wolf is $13.50. I may try the Wolf as the Penfold didn't have good reviews.

Yes, its been a couple of years we can bring two bottles on board for initial embarkation. And only a few months since they waived the corkage fees if you bring you own wine into the dining rooms.

Thanks. I can get both in my local Total Wine. The penfold Koonunga Shiraz/Cab blend is just US$9.99 and the Wolf is $13.50. I may try the Wolf as the Penfold didn't have good reviews.

Yes, its been a couple of years we can bring two bottles on board for initial embarkation. And only a few months since they waived the corkage fees if you bring you own wine into the dining rooms.

I would go with the Wolf Blass Yellow label, they do have more expensive wines, differing coloured labels, but thought this was both affordable and delicious. Perhaps try it before you leave. :D

We usually take a Riccadonna and a Sav/blanc....the Riccadonna usually comes ashore with us on Island stops...well iced thanks to our cabin steward;) and always a pleasure to drink on the beach....can't imagine us not doing it:D The Sav/blanc is usually a glass to lay down with at 2.30pm adult time.:rolleyes:

Trekker954, I was in Sydney today and went past the wine shop at Circular Quay, there are lots of very well priced wines but they tend to go for more boutique wines so that they do not have to compete with the supermarkets/ large chain bottle shops. My point being, They do not have any Wolf Blass yellow or Koonunga hill but do have some great wines from all over Australia and also NZ, just not the mass marketed wines.:D

There is an IGA supermarket in the AMP office tower building one block behind the Marriott.

Also a good place to have an inexpensive lunch at the same time:D

The IGA/supermarket bottle shops will have more of the mass market types wines.:D

Thank you everyone. I'm good with mass market wines. :D

Definitely want to visit a supermarket prior to boarding anyway for some last minute items as well as a twelve pack of bottled water.

Thank you everyone. I'm good with mass market wines. :D

Definitely want to visit a supermarket prior to boarding anyway for some last minute items as well as a twelve pack of bottled water.

I am sure you will be able to get some good quality wines for a very reasonable price here in Australia. The market is flooded with them.:D