Any tips for a " must do in Bruges"

rubydoobydoo

Hi

As we have never been to Bruges before are there any tips for us that will help us to make the most of the time there, we opted to do the P and O trip, Bruges on our own all day.

Any nice places to stop for lunch, Would be grateful for any info so that we are not wondering around all day looking for the best chocolate shops, sights, lunch etc.

Also I know there is a 20 mins walk from where the coach stops, are taxis available into the centre ?

Thanks

Janis

We shared a taxi from the port gate yo ?Bruges and arranged to meet him again to return. Lots of people take a ride on the canals. It is nice just yo wander round the little streets, seeing the shops and purchasing some chocolate! We were lucky enough to attend a free concert in the square at lunchtime. There are lots of eating places to be found there. Plenty of historic places to visit too.

Highly recommend you watch the movie "In Bruges" before you go!

We enjoyed the canal boat trip when we visited Bruges some years ago - otherwise we just wandered round what is a very pretty town. I remember thinking I would like to go back some day.

Have fun.

We did the horse and carriage tour, which was great, people swear by the boat tour (never done it ourselves), but it's a really good place to visit. I don't know if there is a real "must must do", like Pisa => Leaning Tower, so to speak, but just a good place to potter about.

When you walk in from the bus you come into a little square and there is a brewery there (called half moon) they do tours in English for something like 6Euros and it includes a beer! Also can get food there, we had a nice soup!

The walk from the drop off point is interesting. Plenty to see.

I'm sure I could fill a day, but when in Bruges it is well worth doing the Tyne Cot and Paschendale tour including Ypres to get some understanding of the horrors of WW1.

Thanks for the info, we are there on a Sunday so I hope places are open

Will look out for the war place, would have liked to have gone to Flanders Field if had been there longer

Never seen In Bruges so will look at that, hubby will,like the brewery and it would be good to do a boat trip

This is a place I have always wanted to visit that is why we are doing this short cruise, hope to find a nice hotel while there so we can plan to drive back in the summers and spend a few days

Janis

Edited by rubydoobydoo

Thanks for the info, we are there on a Sunday so I hope places are open

Will look out for the war place, would have liked to have gone to Flanders Field if had been there longer

Never seen In Bruges so will look at that, hubby will,like the brewery and it would be good to do a boat trip

This is a place I have always wanted to visit that is why we are doing this short cruise, hope to find a nice hotel while there so we can plan to drive back in the summers and spend a few days

Janis

We were there on a Sunday in November and everything seemed open.

Janis

The suggestion to watch that movie might have been a bit tongue-in-cheek. It's exceptionally foul-mouthed throughout, extremely violent in places, size-ist, racist, and generally unpleasant from start to finish. But very, very funny......

If you liked Sexy Beast you'll enjoy In Bruges.

For £36 per person can't see what value, apart from peace of mind, the Bruges on your own tour offers?

The free shuttle bus drops passengers at Blankenburg where for something like 4 Euros (from memory) you catch the regular overland train that takes just 14 minutes, dropping you at the main station which leaves a 20 minute stroll to the centre. As Bruges is pedestrianised anyway i don't think you can get any closer?

The canal trip is a must do but doesn't last very long. Bruges is a wanderers paradise, just a nice place. They had an interesting second hand market along the banks of the canal and plenty of places to grab a beer. Plenty of buildings with character but sorry, I can't think of any must sees...

For £36 per person can't see what value, apart from peace of mind, the Bruges on your own tour offers?

The free shuttle bus drops passengers at Blankenburg where for something like 4 Euros (from memory) you catch the regular overland train that takes just 14 minutes, dropping you at the main station which leaves a 20 minute stroll to the centre. As Bruges is pedestrianised anyway i don't think you can get any closer?

The canal trip is a must do but doesn't last very long. Bruges is a wanderers paradise, just a nice place. They had an interesting second hand market along the banks of the canal and plenty of places to grab a beer. Plenty of buildings with character but sorry, I can't think of any must sees...

Absolutely agree that the Bruges on Your Own excursion is a waste. We have been to Bruges several times and have always taken the Shuttle to Blankenburg and then taken the train to Bruges. The trains run hourly and in December cost 6 euros each return. You can either buy your tickets from a machine outside the station building but the machine does only take credit cards do if you want to pay in cash you need to go inside and queue at the ticket counter. Apart from taking the canal trip I can't think of anything that as a must do for me but I do find Bruges a lovely town to wander round and I always mange to buy chocolate LOL.

The walk from the drop off point is interesting. Plenty to see.

I'm sure I could fill a day, but when in Bruges it is well worth doing the Tyne Cot and Paschendale tour including Ypres to get some understanding of the horrors of WW1.

Never done it but always fancied it, but would just add it is probably impossible to do this *and* Bruges, Ypres is about an hour away from Bruges.

No you can't ; this may matter if you have a physical disability or need support. It isn't a long walk - about 10 minutes or so from memory, but you have to pretty much walk everywhere in Bruges.

Peace of mind may be important on your first cruise. We did this on our first cruise, there was an entertainingish commentary from a local who didn't care for the Germans much "That building , the Germans flattened it in WW1, we built it back up and they came back and flattened it again in WW2" , fortunately don't think we had any German cruisers.

I barely look at the excursions now, and only then if it's somewhere I don't know much about to see what there is, look at taxis and local transport and things like whatsinport and what have you.

The suggestion to watch that movie might have been a bit tongue-in-cheek. It's exceptionally foul-mouthed throughout, extremely violent in places, size-ist, racist, and generally unpleasant from start to finish. But very, very funny......

If you liked Sexy Beast you'll enjoy In Bruges.

No, the suggestion wasn't tongue in cheek... but I must admit I watched some of the movie from behind a cushion! (And I do have a slight crush on Colin Farrell!)

Great review on Rotten Tomatoes website if anyone else is interested.

Never done it but always fancied it, but would just add it is probably impossible to do this *and* Bruges, Ypres is about an hour away from Bruges.

I did it myself and it is a long day, but well worth it. Off ship for 8am, its about an hour from Zeebruge to Ypres, but useful as the guide gave the background to the events leading to WW1.

Morning was the trip to Tyne Cot and Paschendale Museum, Ypres for a wander round, DIY lunch if you wanted, Menin Gate, the large museum in Ypres was closed for refurbishment. Then the coach to Bruges where we had about an hour with a guide for the walk in to Bruges and a walk round, then about 90 minutes before meeting for the walk back to the bus for about 4.30. Ship left at 5.30. It was a long day, but well worth it. Half a day in Bruges was long enough for me, there's only so many chocolate shops you can visit.

Ahhh bit late for the train, the ships tour is booked and paid for, expensive yes, but as this is the first time to Bruges and we don't have that much time I thought it would be quicker getting off the the ship and straight onto the bus direct to Bruges, and back again. Thought it would enable us to have more time in Bruges itself , you live and learn eh.

Hate any films that have violence , watch though my fingers lol but will give it a go. Not seen Sexy Beast either, will have to look for that one

This trip is a planning day for a longer visit so we will be going back to do the war cemeteries etc., but glad that most things will,be open on a Sunday

Janis