Wonderland

ncbn0902

I'm a picky eater, don't eat any seafood, and am not a big meat eater. I also hate the idea of paying for food while on a cruise (only specialty dining we've ever done). So if you can't tell that is a pretty bad setup for going to Wonderland. I love the idea of molecular gastronomy though and am always willing to try new foods. I absolutely loved the experience! The foods were all interesting and most were delicious. Some were not but that was a preference thing, not a food thing. The moment you sit down and are presented your menu to paint it's a completely different experience filled with theatrics like no other dining experience I've had. The waiter basically hosted everything, asked what we did and did not like as well as any allergies, and if there was anything we wanted to have for sure from the menu. He then went through the menu and listed several things he was going to order for us to try. Throughout the meal he would then keep bringing out dishes of food and explain everything as well as bring out items he didn't list but were available or he felt we would like based on the ones he already brought out. It was great. You have to go with an open mind and not expect a traditional meal, because it is like no other. I have a bunch of photos in my album from day 3: https://picasaweb.google.com/115365916503583655211/QuantumOfTheSeasDecember32014DayAtSea

The Buffalo Chicken Eggs were my personal favorite:

DSC08086.JPG

And you must take the liquid lobster with bone marrow and caviar challenge:

DSC08109.JPG

Like I said I hate seafood and I'm not a big meat person, so I absolutely hated it. Still a bit surprised I didn't throw up eating it, but it's one of those things that is so unique you must eat it to say you did it. How many other people can say that?

In the first few sailings people mentioned not being able to get any vegetarian alternatives at wonderland despite it being written on the sample menus that they would be available. Anyone have any recent experiences and know if this has changed? We have booked wonderland on the anthem with one vegetarian in the party and really hope they will have a few options available.

The best thing about Quantum was all the varied dining experiences available and Wonderland was certainly a highlight of my cruise. It is not for anyone that is not a bit adventurous while dining, but for anyone willing to try new things they will absolutely love this experience.

While only a couple of what would be considered the 'main courses' are large portions, the Cuban Pork Shank and the Terroir Beef, the menu allows you to sample an assortment of varied 'tastes'.

They have added the Dreams menu of desserts now and that looks absolutely wonderful and makes me want to get back onboard a ship with a Wonderland to try that next. While these probable are a bit 'basic' in nature compared to the rest of the menu, the images I have seen of them show that they continue to be presented in a very modern and innovative fashion, which describes the entire experience at Wonderland well.

In the first few sailings people mentioned not being able to get any vegetarian alternatives at wonderland despite it being written on the sample menus that they would be available. Anyone have any recent experiences and know if this has changed? We have booked wonderland on the anthem with one vegetarian in the party and really hope they will have a few options available.

There was an amazing roasted vegetable plate when we went

Thanks for all the info. I'm a very picky eater but I.m giving a shot because the wife wants to go and I figured that there would be something I could eat. The lobster marrow caviar, I don't know if I could eat without any problems but the wife can't wait to try it. I guess we will see how it goes.

That's good to know I am also a very picky eater but my kids can not wait to try it so we are going.

The pictures helped I am trying to go in with a open mind and a large glass of water. Some of the stuff looks like things I might like, I hope so

Is wonderland a kid friendly place?

I think it will depend on your kids. Are they adventures eaters? Mine are and they can not wait to eat there. My kids (13 and10) took one look at the pictures and menu and started begging to go.

If they are more plain eaters then I would not waste your money on taking them. We discussed it and decided that why not let them try it, its far cheaper eating at a place like this on ship than on land.

I will do a review from my kids point of view after our cruise but that's not until end of March.

QUestion.....we are on Quantum in May and trying to dine with others on our board. Unable to get the exact same dining times and wondering if anyone knows.....on other ships/lines they do not allow all reservations to be filled in advance thru website therefore reserving space for people to book once onboard. I've heard reports that on Quantum, those that didn't plan in advance had to resort to the buffet???

And I'm wondering if we can 'adjust' our varied reservations into one once we board? Or if there's no 'wiggle' room? Reports are this venue is small and not many 6-8 tops?

Thanks for any insight!

Has anyone tried the liquid lobster?

Yes, it was absolutely delicious. Wonderland is by far the best and most unique ship board restaurant we've ever experienced.

All of the dishes were so imaginative and very tasty. The roast vegetable dish, the smoked deviled eggs. The presentation, the service all top-notch.

Wonderland only seats 50 people so it never feels crowded. We saw a table with young children 7 or 8 years old perhaps and they seemed to enjoy it. It depends on your kids.

Don't miss Wonderland, it is very magical.

Jonathan