Koningsdam?

sail7seas

We had Stan Kuppens as a Hotel Director on a couple of cruises.

Very nice gentleman.

Stan Kuppens is fabulous at his work. He has been take out Hotel Director (Manager) for every ship since Noordam. :)

He has told us he will be, yes. That was in October 2013 so I guess things can change but I haven't heard it.

Thanks. Was that on Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam?

Edited by sail7seas

Thanks. Was that on Nieuw Amsterdam or Eurodam?

Eurodam. Our cruise was his last one before leaving to go to work on the new ship (he might have filled in here or there but contract-wise his last full cruise segment). He is a great hotel manager, indeed.

Eurodam. Our cruise was his last one before leaving to go to work on the new ship (he might have filled in here or there but contract-wise his last full cruise segment). He is a great hotel manager, indeed.

Thanks, sspunk. We had a number of great crujses with him. Always such a gentleman. So able.

pssst...... Red Sox equipment trucks leave Fenway for Spring Training THIS week. Of course, that depends if they can get down the snow filled streets to head south. :D There is so much snow on the streets they are so narrow.

pssst...... Red Sox equipment trucks leave Fenway for Spring Training THIS week. Of course, that depends if they can get down the snow filled streets to head south. :D There is so much snow on the streets they are so narrow.

Our grandson is in the minor leagues with the Pittsburgh Pirates. Our trip to FL in March for Spring Training is our best vacation of the year! I haven't seen the schedule yet, but he may very well be playing the Sox while we are there.

What fun for you, Peaches.

Hope he gets to play in Fenway Park someday. It's an amazing ball park.

It is giving us Bostonians a lift to realize spring training is starting. I had men on one of my roofs this afternoon shoveling about 5' of snow and some drifts that were higher. :eek: They'll be back tomorrow for more of the same.

Edited by sail7seas

• 4 weeks later...

I have absolutely no inside information, but if I had to guess who the take out captain for Koningsdam might be I would guess Peter Bos if he isn't about to retire. He was the one sent to right the Veendam after the 77 score and right it he did.

He is now working on the Vistas last I heard, so it might not be such a jump to The King. If the take out captains for Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam are still sailing, they might be the logical choices. But my little heart pitter-pats for Captain Bos. Professional, straight arrow, crews love him.

This is also what we heard from Stan Kuppens on our Eurodam cruise Feb 2013 and Eurodam cruise July 2013. We did not see him on our Eurodam 2014 cruise.

He indicated at that time that he would be relocating to Venice about a year prior to launch to oversee the hotel portion of the build.

I hope so- he was a very engaging personality the Eurodam seemed very well run from a hotel perspective. He also had a very good grasp of what they learned from the Eurodam to the Nieuw Amsterdam and how they would take that knowledge to the new build.

I have absolutely no inside information, but if I had to guess who the take out captain for Koningsdam might be I would guess Peter Bos if he isn't about to retire. He was the one sent to right the Veendam after the 77 score and right it he did.

He is now working on the Vistas last I heard, so it might not be such a jump to The King. If the take out captains for Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam are still sailing, they might be the logical choices. But my little heart pitter-pats for Captain Bos. Professional, straight arrow, crews love him.

I hope he will be it, great captain..

What fun for you, Peaches.

Hope he gets to play in Fenway Park someday. It's an amazing ball park.

It is giving us Bostonians a lift to realize spring training is starting. I had men on one of my roofs this afternoon shoveling about 5' of snow and some drifts that were higher. :eek: They'll be back tomorrow for more of the same.

Sail & Peaches you just have get away from that awful winter, to come on down here & watch the Red Sox play the Pirates in our beautiful Jet Blue Park, which opened in 2012 (Fenway South) stadium on March 14..

We've had 85 degree weather here this past week & the same is predicted next Saturday..

Sorry for hijacking the Koningsdam thread../SIZE]

Captain Bos was on our Veendam cruise doing Canada/NE. :) I agree with the others what a fine gentleman. Well respected Captain. :)

Doesn't Captain Mercer do World Cruise? Even if not, though a wonderful Captain, I don't think he will be 'take out'. He was 'sort of' take out for Nieuw Amsterdam, as I remember it with a bit of a 'changeover'.

Edited by sail7seas

Which has been his ship until now. I admit to not having heard his name. :o

We had him on Eurodam for a 7 day Norwegian voyage from Amsterdam in 2013. We loved him. He worked hard to get us part way up Hardangerfjord when it because obvious that we couldn't make all the way to Eidfjord because of the new bridge on the way. And that reduced our time in Haugesund, which was a blessing.

It also makes sense that a Captain used to the Signature class would take out K-dam.

Peter Bos was Captain on our recent Oosterdam cruise, Shrimp. He amused a lot with his handwashing directives whenever he addressed the passengers. We had the great pleasure of meeting him as we received our Bronze Medallions while on the cruise. He was Captain on the Volendam when we went from Sydney to Hong Kong in 2012.

Ozcruizer

Yes, we were, new captain on the K'dam will be Emile de Vries..

If this is true, the Koningsdam will be in excellent hands! He was the Eurodam's Master in August-September, 2013. Stan Kuppens was the Hotel Director and the gentleman who was the Chief Engineer (and I apolgize for not remembering his name) was due to be the newbuild's take-out Chief Engineer. At least, that is what we were told at the time. The take-out Captain had not yet been named at that time, as far as I know.

Captain de Vries is a very guest-oriented ship's Master just as Mr. Kuppens was as a Hotel Director. They made a great team on the Eurodam.

For the HAL Sailaway Addicts, during a Q & A session in the Main Lounge, I made our desire for "lots of toots" during sailaway from Port Everglades clear to him and, with very good humor, indicated that he would "do as well as I can".

Edited by rkacruiser