Princess or Norwegian to Hawaii?

xkandykane

Planning on a trip to Hawaii next year sometimes from June through November, which line would you sale from?

Princess has a cruise that sales from San Francisco, where I live, so that is convenient, Norwegian has a cruise that includes airfare from SF so that's okay too...

Princess cruise has way too many sea days for my liking, but my bf loves to lounge around and do nothing.... Norwegian seems like its more jam pack with stuff to do since its an island everyday, and its more to my liking.

We've been to Honolulu before but we were with family so we didnt see that much

Anyone with experience with either cruise line's experience? Or has cruised to Hawaii on these lines?

Also, when is the best time to book for the cheapest rate?

I'm looking at this one for Princess

http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=9506

and this one for NCL

http://www.ncl.com/cruises/9-day-hawaii-from-honolulu-cruise--hotel--air-package-HAWAIISPECIAL01PRIDE_AMER7HNLOGGITOKOANWKHNL/schedule?destinations=4294934556&numberOfGuests=4294915774&state=null&&itineraryCode=HAWAIISPECIAL01PRIDE_AMER7HNLOGGITOKOANWKHNL&customerStoriesCurrentPage=1&customerStoriesPageSize=3

I suggest you read cruise reviews discussing both itineraries. Of course, there will be some subjective comments, but you can get a general idea from other peoples' experience. There is a greater difference between those two lines on Hawaiian itineraries than between any other two mass market lines. NCL ships cruising out of Hawaii are American flagged - and staffed accordingly. This makes a significant difference in atmosphere.

Princess doesn't sail to Hawaii in June thru September.

I agree...you are comparing more apples to oranges, then similar products. NCL is a 7 day, port intensive cruise. Princess is 14 or 15 days, with lots of sea days.

It might say something that NCL has to pay your airfare to get you to sail with them.

Our last three cruises were the holiday one to Hawaii from LA on Princess. Princess has a Hawaiian cultural program on its Hawaiian cruises that is excellent. Sea days are not boring for us at all anyway, but the hula and uke classes, lei-making instruction, Hawaiian music (if Elua is on your cruise, you'll want to check the Patters for their performances). For us, we can drive to San Pedro, so that's a plus.

You are looking at two very different cruises.

The NCL cruise is 7 days around the islands. It does not cross the pacific to and/or from the mainland.

Princess is about 14 days. with about 4 days sailing from the mainland to Hawaii and and equal number going back. In between they call on Hawaiian islands.

We love Princess. We love sea days. We love longer cruises. So the Princess one would be our choice.

We really like Princess and sea days. However, when it comes to seeing Hawaii, we are opting for NCL. We want to have more time on the islands rather than a large number of sea days. Yes, we will be paying for air to get there but would need to fly to get to the west coast, also.

We have also sailed on NCL several times. It is a different experience from Princess, at least in the Caribbean. In Hawaii it will be yet another experience. I'm thinking of the Pride of America more as a floating hotel and transportation rather than a cruise in a more traditional sense.

Aloha!

We lived in Hawaii Kai (Honolulu) for three years. I think you would have a better time flying into Honolulu and then cruising with NCL. Yes, it's port heavy and a world wind of port after port but a great way to see each island. If you like relaxing...I would fly into Honolulu and stay at the Marriott Ko Olina for two or three nights. It's outside of Honolulu and perfect if you don't like crowds.

I don't think you will notice that much difference in the service on board...no matter what flag they are flying. We had a wonderful time!

I miss seeing NCL every Saturday night cruise right by our house.

We've done the NCL Pride of America and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very laid back. I think the only real difference is the length of the cruise because once you get to Honolulu on Princess you pretty much hit the same ports as NCL.

We've done the NCL Pride of America and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very laid back. I think the only real difference is the length of the cruise because once you get to Honolulu on Princess you pretty much hit the same ports as NCL.

This is true. Plus, with NCL you have a significantly longer port time on each of the islands than you do on the Princess itineraries.

This is true. Plus, with NCL you have a significantly longer port time on each of the islands than you do on the Princess itineraries.

I would certainly agree with the above. If you want four consecutive sea days before you hit Hawaii and then four more consecutive sea days on the way back, go with Princess. If you want to spend more time in Hawaii, go with NCL. We flew into Honolulu four days early and had more time to spend exploring. That was important to us.

And by the way, take with a grain of salt those who are so quick to disparage NCL because they have an all American crew. We have been on 24 cruises with six different lines, and the service on NCL's Pride of America was excellent!

Personally if I have to fly to Hawaii for a vacation, I would just stay for a few days on one island, then go to another island for a few days, just as we did on our honeymoon. That way we're actually on Hawaiian soil longer than if we boarded the NCL ship and just used it as transportation. For us, the Princess cruises to Hawaii are an experience and not just a floating hotel.

Planning on a trip to Hawaii next year sometimes from June through November, which line would you sale from?

Princess has a cruise that sales from San Francisco, where I live, so that is convenient, Norwegian has a cruise that includes airfare from SF so that's okay too...

Princess cruise has way too many sea days for my liking, but my bf loves to lounge around and do nothing.... Norwegian seems like its more jam pack with stuff to do since its an island everyday, and its more to my liking.

We've been to Honolulu before but we were with family so we didnt see that much

Anyone with experience with either cruise line's experience? Or has cruised to Hawaii on these lines?

Also, when is the best time to book for the cheapest rate?

I like the advice of flying to Hawaii for a land vacation. I cruised the Pride of America this past summer and of the 150+ cruises I've been on, it was easily the worst. The crew was lazy and disgruntled, the service was awful, and the ship did not look good at all. Why do you think you've been warned not to disparage NCL for the American crew? It's because this ship consistently gets complained about because of the horrible service.

So if you are set on taking a cruise, I recommend your Princess option. However, if you do book POM, go with very low expectations.