Noordam: Favourite Spot for Sailaway

Alibru09

Hi Everyone,

We have booked our first cruise with HAL (Jan 2016) after having done several with Cunard (Queen Victoria). One of our most enjoyable moments on that ship was the sailaway parties by the lido pool.

Just wonder where people's favorite spots on Noordam are to watch the ship sail from each port?

Cheers

Ali

Hi Everyone,

We have booked our first cruise with HAL (Jan 2016) after having done several with Cunard (Queen Victoria). One of our most enjoyable moments on that ship was the sailaway parties by the lido pool.

Just wonder where people's favorite spots on Noordam are to watch the ship sail from each port?

Cheers

Ali

My preference is from my aft wrap verandah:) But, I am in the minority here on Cruise Critic. Most others seem to prefer open decks such as the Aft Lido Pool area....... Me, I enjoy the privacy, and protection from the weather and/or sun, of only a my hubby and a few friends while sailing away:)

Joanie

I have various favorites.

The foredeck, or failing that, one of the open decks forward (Decks 7,6 and 5) are always good for a first rate view forward--superior even to the Crow's Nest, in my view.

Deck 10, above the Lido Pool can be a good compromise, when you want some of the noise and fun, but want to be able to see things on both sides of the ship.

Looking aft to the skyline is more difficult, since the only open aft decks are 3 and 9. Unless you are cruising with Joanie, in which case she is a gracious hostess. :)

But on my next Noordam cruise I'm in a PS, so that might become my new favorite!

We love to be on our verandah for embarkation day for sail away -- especially from Ft Lauderdale.

It is also a good place to be when we sail out of other ports.

I know that not everyone can have a balcony or verandah, so if you don't have one, you might want to join the CD at the sail-away party by the aft pool. Music, drinks that you can buy in special glasses (expensive) and sometimes nachos and a dip. Sometimes HAL has sail away parties for some ports.

we were supposed to have 3 sail-away parties on our 11/3/14 Noordam Caribbean cruise.

but all 3 departures ran so late they never really happened.

at least two of them (initial Sail-Away, and Grand Turk) were due to medical evacuations that delayed our leaving the port at the time announced (tho initial departure also had an issue with the lifeboats needing to pass Coast Guard check).

I'd bet the 3rd missed party was the same reason.

Thanks everyone, sounds like there are some wonderful spots on Noordam.

We do have a balcony but this time are a party of 6 & would like to be together particularly on embarkation day.

I have been doing some reading on the retreat cabanas & they sound very interesting. Dennis are you please able to advise if they are open on embarkation day? Also many of our other sailings are scheduled for 6:00 pm & had read that the cabanas were only open from 8-5. Would they stay open for these later sailings?

I also like the idea of the foredeck on decks 5, 6 & 7. In all our sailings on QV we had never ventured to see if these were open to the public . That would be a fabulous spot to watch this ship sail back into Sydney harbour!

Once again many thanks for your input - it is really great.

Cheers

Ali

I have been doing some reading on the retreat cabanas & they sound very interesting. Dennis are you please able to advise if they are open on embarkation day? Also many of our other sailings are scheduled for 6:00 pm & had read that the cabanas were only open from 8-5. Would they stay open for these later sailings?

For the three cruises we have taken recently with Retreat Cabanas, they were definitely available to occupy the afternoon of embarkation (you paid for it). Champagne (sparkling wine) and mimosas and chocolate strawberries and fruit bowl like everyday were served. As soon as we boarded we went to our staterooms, dropped our carry-ons, greeted our stateroom attendants, changed into lighter clothes and headed right up. We order lunch from the Dive-In and don't hassle with the Lido or Dining Room on embarkation day any more. The Retreat attendants may have beverage department responsibilities after the 'closing time' for the cabanas, but they did not boot us out. I would imagine that a late sailing time will easily be accommodated and they would continue service.

Dennis

The aft Lido deck and the deck above. If it is raining....the Crows Nest.

We also like the aft pool area. It leaves you free to check out any vantage point - port, starboard or aft depending on what's going on on the shore.:)

Our exceptions are sailing out of Tampa or Baltimore (on RCCL) because of going under the bridges - for those we like being near the bow.