Costa Captain gets 16 years

rkmw

Yes, he deserves to be held culpable for the fatal errors in his judgement.

I hope he is remorseful for what he did and the lives that were lost due to his actions and non-actions.

The problem is that he really can't see he did anything wrong blamed it all on his staff & other factors.

His attitude is almost like he has a personality disorder. The only one he feels sorry for is himself. His comments make it seem like he sees himself as being incorrectly made the scape goat for the accident. He is the only one whom has suffered during this.

He really needs a kick in the but to get over himself.

Luck for him he will appeal the verdict and drag all the poor families of the real victims through this again.

The article states "Schettino suggested some good had come out of the disaster, pointing out that cruise liners now faced tougher regulations and gave more training to officers."

I haven't cruised since the accident. Have any other cruisers noted changes to safety procedures? Has the industry learnt anything?

Anne

Ballarat, Australia

The article states "Schettino suggested some good had come out of the disaster, pointing out that cruise liners now faced tougher regulations and gave more training to officers."

I haven't cruised since the accident. Have any other cruisers noted changes to safety procedures? Has the industry learnt anything?

Anne

Ballarat, Australia

I haven't noticed anything being done differently and as the changes are for emergency procedures, I hope I never have to.

Yes, he deserves to be held culpable for the fatal errors in his judgement.

I hope he is remorseful for what he did and the lives that were lost due to his actions and non-actions.

Agree. Sadly not much remorse is being reported. Perhaps that is an issue with the reporting.

Anne

Ballarat, Australia

Anne

Ballarat, Australia

Yes, cruise lines are certainly more rigorous on the passenger side attending demos now. I'd certainly expect it flows through on the crew side as well.

The problem is that he really can't see he did anything wrong blamed it all on his staff & other factors.

His attitude is almost like he has a personality disorder. The only one he feels sorry for is himself. His comments make it seem like he sees himself as being incorrectly made the scape goat for the accident. He is the only one whom has suffered during this.

He really needs a kick in the but to get over himself.

Luck for him he will appeal the verdict and drag all the poor families of the real victims through this again.

He did however,as I understand it, plead guilty.

Anne

Ballarat, Australia

I haven't seen any change but I believe some ships didn't hold muster before sailing now I think they all do. Personally every cruise I've been on, even before the disaster, had it before departure

I haven't seen any change but I believe some ships didn't hold muster before sailing now I think they all do. Personally every cruise I've been on, even before the disaster, had it before departure

The cruises that Concordia did in the Med were 7 day cruises that had passengers embarking and disembarking at each port. Consequently they didn't have a totally new load of passengers at each port.

They used to hold muster within 24 hours of departure, I believe this has now changed to before departure on each leg for new passengers.

Not just that, but they were also less rigorous if people missed it for whatever reason, and were less rigorous in taking attendance.

It's really hard to feel sorry for this guy, I think it's a very light sentence. He's such a show pony, no remorse, seems to only be sorry for himself.

He may find that once in jail, if he 'trips and falls' , there may be much harder consequences to live with.

Edited by MicCanberra

This bloke thinks he is the victim in all this. He doesn't seem to be able to grasp the reality of the whole tragedy where he was the sole cause for the ship hitting the rocks and saving his own skin as quickly as possible He is more about trying to blame everyone except himself

It seems to me that he was living the high life as Captain of the ship being lord and master over everything and everyone on board and was so far removed from the reality of his situation that he had a brain snap and tried to flee from the immediate mess that he had caused and then everything would be alright (in his twisted mind anyway)

Perhaps 16 years gaol time will give him plenty of time to come back down to earth

A couple of previous posts have alluded to his mental state. I think they might be on the money

John