What is your favorite lcal food in ports?

Trnkk

What is your favorite Local food in Ports? Name your favorites including directions so we can go too!

Mine is…

1. Jerk pork/chicken in Montego Bay, Jamaica we found this place on the way back to the ship the tour bus dropped us off at a place called the Pork Pit, it’s not too far from the port they setup grills outside and serve you hot right out of the grill, price is a little high and food portion is rather small I needed to get second I just sprinkled local hot sauce on it..vow heaven.

I also heard there is a jerk pork/chicken place in Ocho Rios as well not sure if they are connected will have to try it someday.

2. Chicken Dish in Costa Maya. This one needs some explanations. A few years back we were supposed to stop in Belize but there was a labor dispute going on between tender operators/the port and Carnival so Carnival stopped going there and replaced it with Costa Maya, with little time to spare we scrambled to find and booked tour with the Native Choice the tour is called Mayan Experience Tour, it took us to see the ruins, the town etc. and end up at the local family home in Chacchoben village it was there that we got to eat this dish the ladies told us they prepared it with local spices and fresh ingredients and get this they put the pot in a hole in the ground and let it simmered over night by the time we got there for lunch it was there ready to be eaten and plenty of it I don’t remember how many times I served myself on that dish.

We also brought with us a few Girl Scout Cookies and handed them to village kids seeing theirs face expression is priceless!!

We never have opportunity to go back again the bad thing is the only way for you to experience this you have to book the tour with Native Choice (I sure don’t know how to get there on my own) and hope they still offer the same dish.

Flying fish sandwich in Barbados. Conch fritters in Grand Cayman and Key West.

Jerk chicken or pork anywhere in the Caribbean. Also some great empanadas from a street wagon in San Juan PR, but that was ten years ago, and on my recent visit I did not find one, but boy were those empanadas GOOD!

Edited by SMSACE6

In Nassau there are some local families that operate small outdoor eateries (similar to food trucks but are like little houses). To get there, as you walk out the pier turn right and continue following the road that follows the coast. You will pass Junkanoo Beach on the right. Keep going for another 5 to 10 minutes. You will see the small eateries lined up. About a 20-25 minute safe walk from the pier in total. My favorite eatery is called "Butter". They have awesome fresh fish dishes. I get the fish stew and for dessert, they have a delicious coconut pudding called Duff. Give it a try.:cool:

After lunch as you walk back to the ship, near the eateries, there is a small beach that you can swim in that is quiet. As mentioned above, you will pass Junkanoo Beach. The beach is big and will be crowded but it has some good beach bars to enjoy.

In Downtown Cozumel. across the street from the "Mega" supermarket, there is a restaurant called Jeanie's. Jeanie's has a beautiful view of the ocean while you eat. This restaurant has excellent fresh salsa and chips to start, then excellent fresh Mexican soups, salads and entrees. Drinks are reasonably priced with excellent service. Try the enchiladas with the salsa verde or the chile relleno stuffed with cheese or beef.

Jeanie's is a 5 minute walk from the craziness of the Downtown shops, bars and restaurants. Just ask someone to point you to the Mega supermarket and Jeanie's is right across the street on the water side of the main road. You will have an enjoyable quiet lunch. I was there 2 weeks ago for the second time and it is great. Give it a try and enjoy. :cool: