New guilty pleasure........

sandi1967

My hubby has found the channel that has all the shows we watched growing up. My favorite now is the Love Boat again. I remember watching this every Saturday night. Funny how small the boat is and there seems to only be five working people on the boat😉

Happy Friday everyone.

Sandi

I watched that on Saturday nights when I was old enough to start babysitting...and they always went to Puerta Vallarta EVERY cruise! I remember when I started reading about cruising as an adult thinking, "WOW...that's actually a REAL place?!" I always thought it was some fictional place they made up for the show. Awww....to be 12 again!

(and I think Cap'n Stubing spent more time socializing than he ever did driving the boat!)

Check your local listings for MeTV. Although the show isn't on at 9 am every weekday any longer, it's still on at other times. There's another channel on Directv that shows back to back episodes on Thursday afternoons (or it did). Just set your dvr to record it whenever it aires! (MeTV isn't available on Directv)

Cathy

My hubby has found the channel that has all the shows we watched growing up. My favorite now is the Love Boat again. I remember watching this every Saturday night. Funny how small the boat is and there seems to only be five working people on the boat😉

Happy Friday everyone.

Sandi

We watch it also! Lots of great memories! I love seeing all the old fashions and hairstyles. Not to mention all the "young" old actors! :D

We have quite a few of those stations on our cable system METV, Antenna, Cozi, CLOO.

I have always been an old movie and TV fan. So I enjoy those stations. I remember Saturday nights Love Boat, Fantasy Island , and Carol Burnett were "must see TV" before the term was even invented .

between those stations and Turner Movie Classics .

My kids tease me all the time (like I care *LOL*) they say watching TV with me is like that Bruce Willis Movie "The Sixth Sense" ........I see dead people ...*LOL*

Thanks for posting this! Right after I read this I programmed my VCR to start taping these shows. I have Directv, the Love Boat for me is on Saturday morning and afternoon - So I can start watching Love Boat on Valentine's Day. Awwww! I think this show single-handedly started the Cruising craze for baby-boomers who now have time and funds for cruising.

My kids tease me all the time (like I care *LOL*) they say watching TV with me is like that Bruce Willis Movie "The Sixth Sense" ........I see dead people ...*LOL*

Going off topic (by a lot) - At Christmas time when the radio starts playing all the Christmas music I think there should be a station for Christmas songs by dead people (Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Andy Williams - the list goes on and on.)

Going off topic (by a lot) - At Christmas time when the radio starts playing all the Christmas music I think there should be a station for Christmas songs by dead people (Bing Crosby, Dean Martin, Andy Williams - the list goes on and on.)

YouTube has a lot of that I was just watching the Dean Martin Christmas show that had Sinatra and his family along with Dean and his family

We took our first cruise on the Getaway in Nov, and I looked everywhere for a Love Boat style dress! Apparently you cant get long 70's style dresses any more. Imagine my surprise when no one had on Love Boat dresses!! :D Next time I'm totally going to find one to wear even if it's from the Goodwill!

*LOL*

So funny you mention all those folks . Growing up Bing Crosby and Andy Williams Christmas specials were the biggest things of the season . They were on for years. Remember the King Family specials ?

Big extravagant sets and skits and costumes and guest stars . They both had their whole families on the show and we watched them all grow up. They had the best Merriest Christmases of anyone...........so we thought *LOL*

Of course now we know Bing was no prize as a husband and father, and Andy Williams wife ended up divorcing him and killing a skier. But the Illusion was nice. Too bad we didn't know all that back then. It would have made our own families seem a little more normal *LOL*

I've been recording all the episodes of The Love Boat on my TiVo from both MeTV and now also PopTV.

normal_P1040187.JPG

This was from several months ago. I now have 117 episodes on my TiVo! I'm ready to keep my cruise obsession alive!

YouTube has a lot of that I was just watching the Dean Martin Christmas show that had Sinatra and his family along with Dean and his family

I remember that show.

Like I said I am an old movie and TV buff ,, so Youtube is just the greatest . there are things on there I remember as a kid and haven't seen in 40 years , and some things I never knew existed . Or shows I heard about for years but where the heck would you find them.

My hubby has found the channel that has all the shows we watched growing up. My favorite now is the Love Boat again. I remember watching this every Saturday night. Funny how small the boat is and there seems to only be five working people on the boat

Happy Friday everyone.

Sandi

OMG...The Love Boat is what introducted me into cruising! I loved the show so much as a kid, that when I graduated university, my dad's present to me was a cruise. First cruise...Grandeur of the Seas in 1997. (Guess he did research and preferred RCL over Princess). Then DH and I went on another RCL for our honeymoon. But it was that show, that made me interested.

I recently watched an episode after booking our current curise (since of course I have Season 1 on DVD). Found it so funny...huge cabins for everyday cruiser, roomates (which apparently did happen), big activity of the day was shuffleboard, and the 5 crew members as you say. If you search my posts, you'll see a Love Boat post I made under subject " Too Funny - TV vs Reality "

OMG...The Love Boat is what introducted me into cruising! I loved the show so much as a kid, that when I graduated university, my dad's present to me was a cruise. First cruise...Grandeur of the Seas in 1997. (Guess he did research and preferred RCL over Princess). Then DH and I went on another RCL for our honeymoon. But it was that show, that made me interested.

I recently watched an episode after booking our current curise (since of course I have Season 1 on DVD). Found it so funny...huge cabins for everyday cruiser, roomates (which apparently did happen), big activity of the day was shuffleboard, and the 5 crew members as you say. If you search my posts, you'll see a Love Boat post I made under subject " Too Funny - TV vs Reality "

I used to laugh at how the crew on the Love Boat got into all the passengers lives. They all had a romance with a pax in one episode or the other.

Pax were always running up to one of them for some type of romantic advice.

I remember an episode where this woman wanted to make her husband jealous so he would start paying more attention to her, so her and Doc cooked up this scheme that they were having a romance. he sent her flowers and lovey dovey notes, and did this romantic tango on the dance floor in front of all the other passengers

Another episode Julie admonished some recently widowed dad that he was so into his new girlfriend and their upcoming marriage that he couldn't see how his young son was still grieving. Of course he immediately opened his eyes , they all had a good talk and everything was great by the time they got back to LA *LOL*

These people would have been fired for this kind of thing in real life

I always wonder how Gopher and Doc (and even the Captain) keep track of all their girlfriends. It seems like almost every episode at least one of them end up with finding the love of their life during the cruise. :rolleyes:

I agree though. The fantasy is part of what makes the show fun. And, it reminds me of cruising and that's never a bad thing. Now that I've cruised a bit the show seems really unrealistic (not unlike other shows on TV), but I remember back in the day thinking it was like a documentary of real cruises.

On a sad note, it reminds me of how nefarious types have made traveling so difficult for everyone. There's no way you'd just walk on the boat and shake hands with the Captain these days. No security, friends coming on the boat and not getting off until it's time to leave (sometimes not even then) and just everyone having a nice stress free embarkation... alas those days are gone.

Tom