First time cruise - price check?

Big Stevie

Looking at booking our first ever cruise and visited travel agent today who offered the following..

P&O Britannia 14 night Mediterranian from Southampton June 2015

2 x adults 1 x child

Cabin - Fully obstructed balcony cabin

£330/adult on board credit

No drinks package

£5100

The price seems quite high to me, but then I've never cruised before. And what do people think of the obstructed balcony cabin?

Thanks

Edited by Big Stevie

Looking at booking our first ever cruise and visited travel agent today who offered the following..

2 x adults 1 x child

Fully obstructed balcony

No drinks package

£5100

The price seems quite high to me, but then I've never cruised before. And what do people think of the obstructed balcony?

Thanks

If it is your first cruise shop around for quotes. Can online ta do better.

Ask about the different pricing structures.

Select fare..tends to be the most expensive, but you get to chose your cabin and dining.

Early saver, slightly cheaper than the above. You have 2nd picks after select fare payers.

Much closer to sailing you will likely have a saver fare come out, which could be a lot cheaper than the above fares, but you get no choices at all.

On the p and o website under the can we help you, if you put in obstructed balconies,you get a picture for each cabin to show how much of an obstruction there is...usually lifeboats.

However as Brittania is new they may not have them on there yet. Maybe if you looked under Ventura. Azura it might give you a small idea what you may be looking at.

Good luck.

Balcony is of course nice since it gives you that added space especially when you have more than 2 in the cabin. But as for ''fully obstructed'... Well in my opinion you can't beat sitting on the balcony watching the comings and goings , the sea, fellow ships, ports coming into view, sunsets etc.. especially in the Med. If the budget will allow I would definately go for a view. Either way I'm sure you will love it.

Happy Sailing.

Fig

Oh.. and as others have said, definately search around for the best price. Don't be afraid to do it all online independently. perhaps find a price online and then phone the company to book. That's where you will often find the best deals.

Fig.

2 x adults 1 x child

No drinks package

£5100

The price seems quite high to me, but then I've never cruised before. And what do people think of the obstructed balcony cabin?

Thanks

Fully obstructed view!

Have a look on the P&O website to see alternative prices.

P&O spin for an inside :) but on a serious note as others have said shop around -try Princess.

Seems a lot of money to me:eek:

As others have said do some research. We book with Bolsover.

I'm surprised that a new ship like Britannia has obstructed views! Celebrity Eclipse has all it's lifeboats around the deck that has bars and such like on and no cabins.

Lots of ships going out of Southampton, do some searching on the internet - good luck :)

Im getting £4462 for that cruise and cabin grade from an online agent I use and thats with the £660 per cabin OBC. Sorry but I cannot name the agent on the forum unless I was french and wishing you a good journey.............. That price is for a select fare with choice of cabin and dining. The price for a non obstruction balcony is £4788.

There are no drinks packages, free or otherwise, on P&O but the OBC should more or less make it an 'all inclusive' cruise.

As for the obstructed view cabins, whilst it says fully obstructed, it means their is a life boat up to the eye level of the balcony rail so you cannot see down, just out and up. Not a major issue IMO.

As to whether its a good price, Im guessing this just creeps into the first week of the school holidays so a bit pricier however the choice can only be yours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems a lot of money to me:eek:

As others have said do some research. We book with Bolsover.

My quote was from Bolsover.

I wasn't overly impressed with them to be honest, I got the impression they didn't think we were serious about actually wanting to do a cruise, and they seemed to always quote the highest priced options first, and only reveal a cheaper option when we said it was too expensive. We felt a bit rushed, as if the sales person wanted us gone.

Edited by Big Stevie

I'm surprised that a new ship like Britannia has obstructed views! Celebrity Eclipse has all it's lifeboats around the deck that has bars and such like on and no cabins.

Celebrity Eclipse has partially and fully obstructed balcony cabins on deck 6. Partially obstructed ones have a smaller lifeboat who's roof is level with the floor of the balcony (2C category) and fully obstructed where the roof of the lifeboat is level with the balcony rail (2D category) which is the same as Britannia's fully obstructed balconies. On both grades you can look straight out and up but not down.

2 x adults 1 x child

No drinks package

£5100

Thanks

Big Stevie

Britannia is a brand new ship in it's first year of cruising so a premium price will be brought to bear on this type of cruise. I am sure that you would find a cheaper cruise with P&O on another ship. If I were cruising Southampton round trip 14 days Mediterranean. I should look at Princess Cruises, normally a bit dearer than P&O in the market place but similar in style and excellent in service and among market leaders in world wide itinerary choice. Good starter point should be Caribbean Princess for 14 days Mediterranean. The price should be easily favourable comparison with your quoted figure and be on a Balcony.

Regards John

Far more than I would pay, also 2 plus 1 child.

If you are choosing this cruise because of the ship you need to either decide this is an acceptable price to pay as children's places are limited, or track it and be prepared to be disappointed if it doesn't fall or cabins sell out.

If you just want to go to the Med look at other lines.

I am tracking some Baltics trips in August, Princess and Celebrity.

A month ago both were 5k+ for a balcony. Last week one had fallen to £3,500, the other is still £5k. The cheaper is Princess, but the poor layout of the grand class ship and lack of crows nest bar means the price is still too high.

Our last trip was to Iceland and Norway on Eclipse and it fell from almost £6,000 to £2,800 for a guaranteed balcony cabin about 8 weeks before departure.

Edited by Thejuggler

Celebrity Eclipse has partially and fully obstructed balcony cabins on deck 6. Partially obstructed ones have a smaller lifeboat who's roof is level with the floor of the balcony (2C category) and fully obstructed where the roof of the lifeboat is level with the balcony rail (2D category) which is the same as Britannia's fully obstructed balconies. On both grades you can look straight out and up but not down.

According to the deck plans all the lifeboats are on deck 5, but looking at a photo I took of her, I can see what you mean. The forward lifeboats do protrude upwards a bit. I think we were further back, so didn't notice that :) I think it should be made plain on the plans though.

According to the deck plans all the lifeboats are on deck 5, but looking at a photo I took of her, I can see what you mean. The forward lifeboats do protrude upwards a bit. I think we were further back, so didn't notice that :) I think it should be made plain on the plans though.

Heres a 2D photo. Fully obstructed.

http://www.chillybin.com/celebrity/2Dfront.jpg

Big Stevie

Britannia is a brand new ship in it's first year of cruising so a premium price will be brought to bear on this type of cruise. I am sure that you would find a cheaper cruise with P&O on another ship. If I were cruising Southampton round trip 14 days Mediterranean. I should look at Princess Cruises, normally a bit dearer than P&O in the market place but similar in style and excellent in service and among market leaders in world wide itinerary choice. Good starter point should be Caribbean Princess for 14 days Mediterranean. The price should be easily favourable comparison with your quoted figure and be on a Balcony.

Well there are plenty of Saver fares on Britannia already, so not sure you are correct there. It's the different cruise with different ports that get sold early, not the boring samey ones.

Big Stevie

Britannia is a brand new ship in it's first year of cruising so a premium price will be brought to bear on this type of cruise. I am sure that you would find a cheaper cruise with P&O on another ship.

If you are choosing this cruise because of the ship you need to either decide this is an acceptable price to pay as children's places are limited, or track it and be prepared to be disappointed if it doesn't fall or cabins sell out.

If you just want to go to the Med look at other lines.

Britannia is a brand new ship in it's first year of cruising so a premium price will be brought to bear on this type of cruise.

I think you are all correct. I told them I wanted a really nice big modern ship, instead of one that is a bit tired and ready for a re-fit.Are there any P&O and RC ships that are a bit tired etc, or are they all nice and modern?

So I guess I just want a nice big modern ship, suitable for our 8 yr old son, that goes from Southampton to the Med (including Rome).

Edited by Big Stevie

I would give Britannia a miss for a first cruise . With three of you in the cabin, I think one with bigger balcony would be better. Balcony on Britannia is TINY. Ventura and Azura balconies much bigger. Maybe I will get flamed for suggesting this but Royal Caribbean might be a better option. Have a good look around, you should be able to get a better deal than you have been offered so far, June being out of school holiday time has to be an advantage.

I think you are all correct. I told them I wanted a really nice big modern ship, instead of one that is a bit tired and ready for a re-fit.Are there any P&O and RC ships that are a bit tired etc, or are they all nice and modern?

So I guess I just want a nice big modern ship, suitable for our 8 yr old son, that goes from Southampton to the Med (including Rome).

P&O's Azura is nearly as big and is due for a refit in April so should be in good shape!

My quote was from Bolsover.

I wasn't overly impressed with them to be honest, I got the impression they didn't think we were serious about actually wanting to do a cruise, and they seemed to always quote the highest priced options first, and only reveal a cheaper option when we said it was too expensive. We felt a bit rushed, as if the sales person wanted us gone.

That's a shame! We have booked with them several times and have always found them very helpful. Perhaps they were having an off day :rolleyes:

Thanks, i'll take a look at her.

Ventura is the same as Azura and was refitted last year. A couple of examples are: Ventura, 28th June, £4231 gauranteed balcony on a select fare with £880 OBC or a much larger Superior Deluxe Guarantee Balcony on a select fare £4750 with £1000 OBC.

The on board credit brings the prices down but thats only relevant if you think you will spend it (drinks, speciality restaurants and excursions for instance).