Cameo Factory (MERGED THREADS)

maltesemom

We were just there last week and you can definitely go there on your own. I would have cash if you think you might want to buy one. The mark-up if you want to charge is crazy. There was a cameo that I was interested in and it was $20 if I paid in cash but $30 if I wanted to charge it to my Visa. I have no problem paying the 4% or so service fee that credit card companies charge vendors but I have a really hard time when I feel like they are price gouging all because I want to use a Visa.

We were just there last week and you can definitely go there on your own. I would have cash if you think you might want to buy one. The mark-up if you want to charge is crazy. There was a cameo that I was interested in and it was $20 if I paid in cash but $30 if I wanted to charge it to my Visa. I have no problem paying the 4% or so service fee that credit card companies charge vendors but I have a really hard time when I feel like they are price gouging all because I want to use a Visa.

wow, that's a 50% markup just to use a credit card!

i enjoyed the cameo factory, these are not your typical cameos as they are made out of conch shells and not bone, range in price from about $15 and up, it all depends in what you are looking for or want, i bought one for my daughter to put on a necklace and one for my self didn't pay too much but it was nice work and the artist is a nice mute/deaf girl, i will see if a few pics can be uploaded here that i took

• 4 weeks later...
Bumping this back up to ask:

Has anyone been here lately? Are they doing tours of the workshop? How's the prices for unset cameos?

I have a private tour with Victor Bodden scheduled so I want to make sure this is worth the stop.

The whole cameo factory is pretty small. You can actually see the workshop through a window. We were not impressed at all with the Cameo Factory or the quality of cameos but many on these boards seem to like it. It really only takes a small amount of time to look through the shop.

What ship are you on? If you are docking in Coxen Hole it really isn't very far from that dock so you could do it at the very end of your tour on the way back to the ship which is what we did (as Mahogany Bay dock wasn't opened yet). If you are docking at Mahogany Bay I would say just be sure it's something you want to see as it isn't "right on the way"

Can't speak for the prices as we didn't feel compelled to check.

Sorry, editing. just noticed you are on a Norwegian ship. You will dock in Coxen Hole. It might be worth you checking out. I would suggest you either do it at the very beginning or very end of your tour. It's not far from the pier and if you aren't impressed you can just move on. However, you might really enjoy it.

Edited by chloedmom

The whole cameo factory is pretty small. You can actually see the workshop through a window. We were not impressed at all with the Cameo Factory or the quality of cameos but many on these boards seem to like it. It really only takes a small amount of time to look through the shop.

What ship are you on? If you are docking in Coxen Hole it really isn't very far from that dock so you could do it at the very end of your tour on the way back to the ship which is what we did (as Mahogany Bay dock wasn't opened yet). If you are docking at Mahogany Bay I would say just be sure it's something you want to see as it isn't "right on the way"

Can't speak for the prices as we didn't feel compelled to check.

Sorry, editing. just noticed you are on a Norwegian ship. You will dock in Coxen Hole. It might be worth you checking out. I would suggest you either do it at the very beginning or very end of your tour. It's not far from the pier and if you aren't impressed you can just move on. However, you might really enjoy it.

Thanks so much! I think I'll just add to the end (that way we do it if we have time but if not it sounds like we're not missing much)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am looking for information for the Castle cameo factory in Roatan.Looking for price information for cameos,how to get there,how much would a taxi be and how long it would take,could we walk there?We are docking at Mahogany Bay cruise ship complex.Would we be able to find cameos at the shops within the port area ?Thank you in advance for your help.

You won't be able to walk to the Cameo factory from the Mahogeny docks. The factory is walkable from the Coxen Hole dock. They had some beautiful, whole conch shells that had intricate carving on them, that were set up to be used as small table lamps (about $100). I know my wife asked for the price of a horsehead cameo and I think it was $125. We just about went back and bought, but she decided not to.

I am looking for information for the Castle cameo factory in Roatan.Looking for price information for cameos,how to get there,how much would a taxi be and how long it would take,could we walk there?We are docking at Mahogany Bay cruise ship complex.Would we be able to find cameos at the shops within the port area ?Thank you in advance for your help.

You can't walk there from Mahogany Bay. I really don't know the price of a taxi. In my opinion, the Cameo Factory is average at best. Very quick to look and the cameos are not that impressive.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are doing a Vic Bodden private tour, you can make this a stop on your tour. We did this last Dec,2011. I bought a small charm for a pendant for $40. I liked the cameo shop. But as previous post says, was not extremely impressed. I would think it would be an easy taxi ride to the shop. You should make up your own mind about the quality. Hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

My teenage daughter bought herself a charm at the cameo factory when we were there a few summers ago. It has since fallen off her charm bracelet and been lost. Does anybody know if the cameo factory has a website or does mail order business? I'd like to replace the cameo for Christmas.

My teenage daughter bought herself a charm at the cameo factory when we were there a few summers ago. It has since fallen off her charm bracelet and been lost. Does anybody know if the cameo factory has a website or does mail order business? I'd like to replace the cameo for Christmas.

How are these charms mounted? I collect charms from places visited and don't have one from Roatan. My bracelet is gold. Remember seeing anything that might work? How pricey??? thanks

The cameo did not fall off the mounting; the whole charm fell off the bracelet. I can't recall how much it cost. To my daughter it seemed like a lot of money because she had saved up for it and that's what she really wanted. I feel like it was $50 -- it was tiny, and it was mounted on silver. They had many different options, sizes, gold, silver, etc.

Those of you who have gone, did you think it was worth it? I started collecting a piece of jewelry on each trip, and thought this might be perfect - if it's within my price range. What are the price ranges that you saw?

We didn't really like the Cameo Factory. I guess if you collect a piece of jewelry at each port you might enjoy it. We actually found better jewelry prices at the dock. We were there back in 2009 before Mahogany Bay opened and docked in Coxen Hole.

We thought the cameos weren't all that pretty and seemed pretty rudimentary in comparison to what you might get elsewhere. Also, the shop was very small and didn't have alot in it. Just my and my friend's opinion........

We didn't really like the Cameo Factory. I guess if you collect a piece of jewelry at each port you might enjoy it. We actually found better jewelry prices at the dock. We were there back in 2009 before Mahogany Bay opened and docked in Coxen Hole.

We thought the cameos weren't all that pretty and seemed pretty rudimentary in comparison to what you might get elsewhere. Also, the shop was very small and didn't have alot in it. Just my and my friend's opinion........

I just buy one piece of jewelry per trip, not port. Though, when we go to Sedona, I don't limit myself to one! I usually find silver I like in Cozumel, but I've had really good luck on the ships too. I don't know if I'll check it out since I'm probably the only one in our group that would be interested. Thanks for your advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Given that some are reporting that the cameos they saw did not appear to be of the best quality, I am wondering if the Franco, the cameo artist, is still there and making some of the products. It may be that some of the items now being sold are being produced by less-experienced locals. If you are there, ask about Franco; for one example of his work, see post #67.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...