Oasis - Wifi Prices Drastically Reduced

TrojanUSC

There was an interesting interview with the head of the It dept. He said that once the new wifi systems allowing greater speeds and more bandwidth were installed on the ships that prices would come down. He said that they had to keep prices high to stop everyone from using the wifi and cause it to go even slower than it was.

Just an FYI that they lowered the cost of Wifi nearly 50% starting with this cruise. Now its $10/day per device. $140 for unlimited wifi with two devices. Previously it was $250 for this.

That's great news.

Are there limitations on how you have to sign up? IE, do you have pay for every day, can you pick and choose days, can you sign up mid-cruise, etc?

That's great news.

Are there limitations on how you have to sign up? IE, do you have pay for every day, can you pick and choose days, can you sign up mid-cruise, etc?

As of now, there are three options:

- One hour

- One day

- Entire Cruise

It works out to about $10/day for the second two options.

Also, there is no longer pricing based on speed. Previously you had to pay extra if you wanted high speed internet to FaceTime, watch Netflix, etc. Now everything is the same with pretty great speeds - faster than most land-based hotels.

Thanks.

It's nice that now they have these options for the heavy users, but it would be nice if they had maintained some of the older time used options for those of us that only require sporadic use.

We only need 5 or 10 minutes every few days. On our last cruise in Australia, it would have cost us something like 200 bucks for a total of 2 hours of usage (checking email every couple of days). I forget the exact cost, but the price for an hour was insane. It was essentially the same cost for unlimited 24/7 use for the 14 days as it was for seven 15 minute sessions spread throughout the trip.

The other frustrating thing is that the crown and anchor discounts don't help any more. In the old system, it was a flat discount that deducted from our total as we racked up minutes. In the new coupons, it was a percentage discount off a package, and we don't need a package.

Even if I had to use their computers to do it, it would still be nice to have the choice.

That sounds great...I would definitely do it for a day or two and possibly unlimited at that price point. Although, I do like the excuse of not having internet to completely unplug. It is nice to tech detox. But then again, we go crazy for a few hours in port when we can get on wifi. Maybe it would be more balanced if we could check emails, etc. in the morning and then not worry about it in port.

I can see a definite benefit for those who have kids at home or other family members they need to check on as well as those that need to work a day or two. Hmm...I can work from home periodically, maybe i could work from a cruise ship and not burn vacation days. lol

That was the price on the Feb 7 sailing as well

$140 before any discounts for loyalty for 2 devices unlimited and for 1 device unlimited $105 for the week before discount. I ended up paying $75 for the week with my D+ discount. The info sheet they give you says 'packages from $10 per day"

The speed was very good and my husband did do a couple of speed tests to confirm that.

It certainly was much faster than on the transatlantic in October and way better than my Nov inaugural sailing on Quantum both in speed and price.

Am on Quantum in April so will be comparing

Edited by emmy

Can you register in advance for this? I couldn't find anything online.

I do not believe you can sign up before hand. As soon as I got on the ship sitting outside Park Cafe I used my iphone to create my user name and login and I was connected.

If you chose 1 device which I did you just have to remember to log off laptop when using your phone or vice versa.

I do not believe you can sign up before hand. As soon as I got on the ship sitting outside Park Cafe I used my iphone to create my user name and login and I was connected.

If you chose 1 device which I did you just have to remember to log off laptop when using your phone or vice versa.

So would I be able to switch back and fourth between using different devices by logging off and on? Are you able to make calls or do you need to make calls through I internet apps?

If you have an iPhone you can call home using Facetime audio or video. I believe Skype will work on an android device. You can also use iMessage on an iPhone.

If you want to see what will function on your phone in the ship, while you are on your home wifi, put your phone in airplane mode, and turn on wifi. That is the same setup you will have on the ship. You can see what works before you sail.

Edited by cruisingram1

So would I be able to switch back and fourth between using different devices by logging off and on? Are you able to make calls or do you need to make calls through I internet apps?

Yes, you can switch back and forth between devices by logging off.

Yes as others have said you are able to just log off one device before using the other

I did use my iphone and facetime to have a phone call home. Worked well

This is GREAT news! I will be buying for sure in 40 days!

Thanks for all the great post all week Emmy, I loved them.

I was very happy with the speed and the pricing of the internet on OAsis. it really is improving

That was the price on the Feb 7 sailing as well

$140 before any discounts for loyalty for 2 devices unlimited and for 1 device unlimited $105 for the week before discount. I ended up paying $75 for the week with my D+ discount. The info sheet they give you says 'packages from $10 per day"

The speed was very good and my husband did do a couple of speed tests to confirm

Great news! And at a great price! I will be trying it out this weekend for myself!!! 😊

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is great news! I'll definitely now be considering purchasing this for my upcoming Oasis cruise!

PS.. I've seen people mention C&A discounts? Is there a discount for Platinum members?

Last I heard it was $7.50 or 15% whichever is greater.