Current Trivia Sessions State

barbjd106

Recently on a Celebrity cruise the cruise line stated that they were reducing the number of trivia games because it did not comport with the idea of 'modern luxury'. How many trivia games or sessions take place on a cruise of 10 nights per day?

We are on a cruise to the Caribbean in March 2015.

Thanks

Barbara

It is different both as to the cruise and whether it is a sea or port day. On a sea day there would be 2 or 3 with one or two being general trivia and another probably music, but there is sometimes a 4th - newlywed, crew vs passengers, progressive.

The reduction is probably actually more a factor of reduction in staff of Celebrity life.

On Reflection last week there were two morning trivias of 15 questions for the entire week. :(

There is also a music trivia hosted by the DJ.

There are several trivias where only a few passengers are selected and everyone else watches such as passengers against officers.

The afternoon general trivia is held sporadically in the passport bar.

We have never been on a Celebrity ship that has cut back as much as Reflection.

I can understand the cutbacks for port days but a sea day morning trivia always fills the ensemble lounge.

If Modern Luxury is the excuse, look for it to be discontinued if the activities team is disinterested.

Recently on a Celebrity cruise the cruise line stated that they were reducing the number of trivia games because it did not comport with the idea of 'modern luxury'. How many trivia games or sessions take place on a cruise of 10 nights per day?

We are on a cruise to the Caribbean in March 2015.

Thanks

Barbara

Could you please let us know who on Celebrity said that trivia did not comport with the idea of 'modern luxury', because I believe lessening (if any) of games was because of reductions in the Activities staff and have never heard that it had anything to do with 'modern luxury'.

BTW, on my January 7 day cruise, they had it 2 or 3 times a day (depending on the day), with the exception of embarkation day, and they were never attended by a lot (some games only had 2 or 4 people). Possibly, someone said that because they saw that the trivia games on port days were so poorly attended. So I really think that Celebrity should reduce the number of games on port days to just the progressive trivia game, so the staff could possibly be at an activity that more would enjoy.

It takes people away from art auctions, watch and jewelry sales, wine tasting, gambling, etc. If they can't make a buck why have it even though the passengers like them. But when was the last time a cruise line listened to its cliental. :mad:

It takes people away from art auctions, watch and jewelry sales, wine tasting, gambling, etc. If they can't make a buck why have it even though the passengers like them. But when was the last time a cruise line listened to its cliental. :mad:
Didn't realize that all of these things were open and/or happening when the ship is in port and, maybe that is why the games were sorely attended during port days. Edited by NLH Arizona

We cruised 14 nights on the Eclipse. And we are avid trivia players (lame, I know).

On this particular cruise, trivia was so well attended that they held it pretty much in the Skyview Lounge. I think we averaged 2 to 3 sessions a day.

Can I ramble on a minute about Trivia on Celebrity?

In the past, we found trivia to be fun and interesting. Now, after this cruise, I found it tedious and boring.

It seems like the activities staff (comprised of 2 people) have been spread a little thin.

And the quest to make trivia interesting is not first on their list.

Most of the trivia was general trivia. The music trivia was just plain strange. It seemed like the music trivia consisted of the host's favorite songs. Not necessarily music that most care about or listen to, we knew maybe a song or 2.

It would have been nice to have more themed music. British Invasion, Motown, movie theme music, cartoon music, that sort of music. Or how about 'one hit wonders' music or music that the name of the song is not in any of the words in the song?

One trivia we did was Disney music. Now we know a lot of Disney music, but they managed to choose obscure music that most did not recognize.

I almost wish that the passengers could create the trivia (and not play that game, of course ;))

I would be for cutting down on the number of games if they put a little more thought into it.

The prizes they now award are a whole nother issue.:rolleyes:

Edited by Muushka

Didn't realize that all of these things were open and/or happening when the ship is in port and, maybe that is why the games were sorely attended during port days.

It's not just port days. Last April we were on a 28 day BTB cruise from Sydney to Vancouver with lots of sea days. They had a team trivia in the morning in which you had to sign up for in the beginning of the cruise, an afternoon trivia and a music trivia not all three every day at sea. I think they did a Newlywed game once. On the other hand they had bingo everyday, slot tournaments everyday. wine and liquor tastings almost everyday. All of those put money in the coffers of the cruise line. Celebrity isn't the only cruise line that has cut back non revenue making games. We did two HAL cruises in '13 and they were the same.

It's not just port days. Last April we were on a 28 day BTB cruise from Sydney to Vancouver with lots of sea days. They had a team trivia in the morning in which you had to sign up for in the beginning of the cruise, an afternoon trivia and a music trivia not all three every day at sea. I think they did a Newlywed game once. On the other hand they had bingo everyday, slot tournaments everyday. wine and liquor tastings almost everyday. All of those put money in the coffers of the cruise line. Celebrity isn't the only cruise line that has cut back non revenue making games. We did two HAL cruises in '13 and they were the same.
On my 7 day cruise, they had bingo once on three days and also had a bingo raffle (not sure if it is a bingo game, but counting it as one) and only 1 slot tournament, so there was way more trivia than any of these two activities, which BTW grew a larger audience; 14 trivia games and 5 slot tournaments/bingo games. On the sea day, there was 3 trivia games, 1 slot tournament and 1 bingo games.

I think there has to be more of a balance. Not everyone likes to play trivia games. If Celebrity is getting only 2 or 4 people playing a trivia game on port days, maybe they need to utilize that Activity person elsewhere and only have trivia games on sea days, but don't have so many that they are not having other activities, which could draw a larger crowd...I think 3 games a day on sea day is more than adequate.

Edited by NLH Arizona

HAL was worse on our 18 day canal two years ago -- only one trivia per day. If you didn't get there an hour before, there was no chance of getting a seat.

It turned a bit nasty a couple of times with people arguing over seats. They didn't bother to add more games or switch to a larger venue. -- it sucked

We cruised 14 nights on the Eclipse. And we are avid trivia players (lame, I know).

On this particular cruise, trivia was so well attended that they held it pretty much in the Skyview Lounge. I think we averaged 2 to 3 sessions a day.

Can I ramble on a minute about Trivia on Celebrity?

In the past, we found trivia to be fun and interesting. Now, after this cruise, I found it tedious and boring.

It seems like the activities staff (comprised of 2 people) have been spread a little thin.

And the quest to make trivia interesting is not first on their list.

Most of the trivia was general trivia. The music trivia was just plain strange. It seemed like the music trivia consisted of the host's favorite songs. Not necessarily music that most care about or listen to, we knew maybe a song or 2.

It would have been nice to have more themed music. British Invasion, Motown, movie theme music, cartoon music, that sort of music. Or how about 'one hit wonders' music or music that the name of the song is not in any of the words in the song?

One trivia we did was Disney music. Now we know a lot of Disney music, but they managed to choose obscure music that most did not recognize.

I almost wish that the passengers could create the trivia (and not play that game, of course ;))

I would be for cutting down on the number of games if they put a little more thought into it.

The prizes they now award are a whole nother issue.:rolleyes:

I think the ship has sailed on most of those things you're describing.

On our recent Equinox cruise it had the least trivia of any Celebrity cruise I've ever been on. Modern Luxury indeed:rolleyes:

My impression on our recent cruise on Reflection is that these structured activities (trivia, organized games, karaoke, bandaoke) are something they'd just rather not have. I'm not sure why.

Which is a shame, because we liked the food, the service, the other passengers in general, the smoking policies, and the amenities on Celebrity. But we genuinely enjoy those types of activities. If that makes us not Celebrity's customer, whose customer are we? Is there a different cruise line that offers both?

(Genuinely seeking suggestions here.)

I think the ship has sailed on most of those things you're describing.

On our recent Equinox cruise it had the least trivia of any Celebrity cruise I've ever been on. Modern Luxury indeed:rolleyes:

Well, the said ship sailed from 1/21/2014 until 1/4/2015. Not that long ago.

My recent Equinox cruise had 2 or 3 trivia sessions a day. They were very well attended. They were even running out of pencils due to the popularity of the trivia. I don't know how many trivia sessions they had in the past, but I thought 2-3 a day was a decent amount.

Yup, that was our experience on the Eclipse.

Hmmmm. Maybe it's just the ships that start with the letter "E" :D.

My impression on our recent cruise on Reflection is that these structured activities (trivia, organized games, karaoke, bandaoke) are something they'd just rather not have. I'm not sure why.

Which is a shame, because we liked the food, the service, the other passengers in general, the smoking policies, and the amenities on Celebrity. But we genuinely enjoy those types of activities. If that makes us not Celebrity's customer, whose customer are we? Is there a different cruise line that offers both?

(Genuinely seeking suggestions here.)

How many trivia games should their be? How many times should they do karaoke? What other organized games would you like to see? Have never seen bandaoke before on any cruise I've been on, but it could be interesting. Should Celebrity continue to do those activities, if there is very little participation, like the trivia was on my cruise?

They had 14 trivia games on my 7 night cruise (note, no games on embarkation night) and there was karaoke on each night except for embarkation night, which I thought was a lot, but I realize that others feel differently.

You know, we all want what we like or what makes us happy. Some want more trivia games, some want less music by the pool, some what no music by the pool, some want more music by the pool, some want more karaoke, some want bridge games, etc. How does a cruise line, any cruise line, keep everyone happy. Now, that is the million dollar questions. How does Celebrity or any cruise line determine whose wants and needs come before someone else's. On two trivia games I went to, there were a total of 6 people (2 for one game and 4 for another), which means Celebrity used 2 hours of their valuable Activity staff member's time to make 6 people happy. That sure doesn't make good sense, either financially or on the customer service side. Maybe they need to get some concrete information from their onboard staff as to what is really happening and make adjustments that will make more passengers happy.

Edited by NLH Arizona

It seems that it boils down to the fact that if it does not generate revenue, Celebrity is looking to greatly curtail it. Trivia generates zero revenue, even though it could. On our past Summit cruise, trivia was well attended, & held in the Rendevouz, the afternoon session started at 4PM, & the lounge was crowded. However, you could not buy a drink from the bar because it didn't open until 5pm, resulting in lost revenue. The servers were there, but only for setting up.

We have been on sailings where there were less than 10 people attending trivia, but have been on many more where they had to hold trivia in the Sky Lounge because of the crowds (& the bar wasn't open there either). Longer cruises generally have better attendance for trivia. Because there was poor attendance on one sailing doesn't mean that overall its not popular, unless you want to make a point.

It seems that it boils down to the fact that if it does not generate revenue, Celebrity is looking to greatly curtail it. Trivia generates zero revenue, even though it could. On our past Summit cruise, trivia was well attended, & held in the Rendevouz, the afternoon session started at 4PM, & the lounge was crowded. However, you could not buy a drink from the bar because it didn't open until 5pm, resulting in lost revenue. The servers were there, but only for setting up.

We have been on sailings where there were less than 10 people attending trivia, but have been on many more where they had to hold trivia in the Sky Lounge because of the crowds (& the bar wasn't open there either). Longer cruises generally have better attendance for trivia. Because there was poor attendance on one sailing doesn't mean that overall its not popular, unless you want to make a point.

That is why I think they need to talk with the onboard staff members. Possibly, there doesn't need to be 2 or 3 games on port days maybe just 1, maybe there needs to be more on sea days instead of only having 3, etc., instead of wasting their resources for 2 or 4 people, when the staff member could be doing something else.

How many trivia games should their be? How many times should they do karaoke? What other organized games would you like to see? Have never seen bandaoke before on any cruise I've been on, but it could be interesting. Should Celebrity continue to do those activities, if there is very little participation, like the trivia was on my cruise?

They had 14 trivia games on my 7 night cruise (note, no games on embarkation night) and there was karaoke on each night except for embarkation night, which I thought was a lot, but I realize that others feel differently.

You know, we all want what we like or what makes us happy. Some want more trivia games, some want less music by the pool, some what no music by the pool, some want more music by the pool, some want more karaoke, some want bridge games, etc. How does a cruise line, any cruise line, keep everyone happy. Now, that is the million dollar questions. How does Celebrity or any cruise line determine whose wants and needs come before someone else's. On two trivia games I went to, there were a total of 6 people (2 for one game and 4 for another), which means Celebrity used 2 hours of their valuable Activity staff member's time to make 6 people happy. That sure doesn't make good sense, either financially or on the customer service side. Maybe they need to get some concrete information from their onboard staff as to what is really happening and make adjustments that will make more passengers happy.

On the Solstice cruise I was on there were never fewer than 20 people playing and sometimes as many as 50.

Big crowd of trivia players on last week's Reflection cruise. i complained to the cruise director about the lack of "games". he informed me that he used to have a staff of 6--an assistant and 5 activity staffers. now he has an assistant and one activity person. it's definitely about the bottom line--profit for the cruiseline.