Adios San Diego

DAllenTCY

Lucky you. I used to do Mexican riviera cruises regularly. I know I've never gotten them that cheap. I've seen way cheaper caribbean cruises.

Same for us but we also have to fly in and fly out. So no hop on hop off. It is a shame really as we live in Port City but only get the Ships come in the Late Summer or Fall.

And not as a start and end for Ship Cruises but just a day destination.

Edited by Folk Singer

It's sad to see HAL give up on Mexico, but with the trend over the years of smaller ships and less sailings it not a surprise. I'm assuming it will be reported on in industry news eventually.

There is always Princess for us Left Coasters, I don't ever see myself getting on a Carnival ship unless I'm lost at sea floating on a raft and the pick me up.

-Paul

That airport leaves much to be desired.

San Diego brought this on themselves.

Far too many people have missed flights when disembarking there. The last few times we have been there, the ship wasn't cleared until 10:30 or later. Thus disembarkation didn't start until late.

This is certainly true. I tore my knee getting off the Rotterdam (and had to have surgery) literally running, carrying suitcases, trying to make the plane. (Yes, I know I should have booked late in the day, but there is only one direct flight to my area from SD and it was boarding when I got to the airport) To top it off, travel insurance wouldn't pay as I couldn't prove it had happened getting off the ship.

Does this mean that HAL is not moving to LA but limiting to just a few from SD? Have only been in transit in LA on a back to back on NCL but have not heard of the same problems with disembarkation there.

Nor would I. I was just making a point that the travel time with one stop is not "all day". The are other flights with longer, but not too long, layovers.

igraf

Not many of us would book such a connecting flight. :eek:

Way too risky.

This is certainly true. I tore my knee getting off the Rotterdam (and had to have surgery) literally running, carrying suitcases, trying to make the plane. (Yes, I know I should have booked late in the day, but there is only one direct flight to my area from SD and it was boarding when I got to the airport) To top it off, travel insurance wouldn't pay as I couldn't prove it had happened getting off the ship.

Does this mean that HAL is not moving to LA but limiting to just a few from SD? Have only been in transit in LA on a back to back on NCL but have not heard of the same problems with disembarkation there.

Have never had problems at the LA terminal. My only beef is that it is so far from anything. I love San Diego and San Francisco with so much going on around the terminal. We've gotten to SF terminal early and checked our bags and headed over to Pier 39 and the wharf.

How did "San Diego" get the blame? Failure of non US citizens to report to Customs in the lounge is the overwhelming reason that a ship cannot disembark at 8-8:15 pm on schedule.

Page after page is heard, requesting "stateroom such and such to report". Why don't they?

One reason is selfishness. I spoke with a woman a few years ago who told me that she would not wake up her child early in the morning in order to appear. Other times it is because guests are continuing on, and don't READ or HEAR that everyone must report. Once in a while I've heard that the passenger had a "late flight" and didn't want to get up on time. There are many non-English guests who only understand part of the announcement or cannot read the paperwork that has been delivered to them. Lastly, it is due to a number of guests who have decided to go to the dining room for breakfast. The general loud speaker announcements are not broadcast either into staterooms (until 8 am) or dining room (unless an emergency).

This is not just a San Diego phenomenon, it happens at other ports, too. I just wish there were a way to fine these individuals, who often cost the rest of us hundreds of dollars in fees imposed by the airlines for missed flights.

David

P.S. Lindbergh Field has had almost a billion dolllars worth of renovation in the past 2 years.

Edited by DAllenTCY

How did "San Diego" get the blame? Failure of non US citizens to report to Customs in the lounge is the overwhelming reason that a ship cannot disembark at 8-8:15 pm on schedule.

Page after page is heard, requesting "stateroom such and such to report". Why don't they?

One reason is selfishness. I spoke with a woman a few years ago who told me that she would not wake up her child early in the morning in order to appear. Other times it is because guests are continuing on, and don't READ or HEAR that everyone must report. Once in a while I've heard that the passenger had a "late flight" and didn't want to get up on time. There are many non-English guests who only understand part of the announcement or cannot read the paperwork that has been delivered to them. Lastly, it is due to a number of guests who have decided to go to the dining room for breakfast. The general loud speaker announcements are not broadcast either into staterooms (until 8 am) or dining room (unless an emergency).

This is not just a San Diego phenomenon, it happens at other ports, too. I just wish there were a way to fine these individuals, who often cost the rest of us hundreds of dollars in fees imposed by the airlines for missed flights.

David

Maybe hal should knock on the stateroom door of these morons instead of paging them.

Just got off the phone with Mariners. We live in San Diego and and love cruising out of here. Explained comments from CC to them and said they know for a fact that San Diego is their major hub to HAL and they are using San Diego port. They put me on hold to do research and to find out if for a fact HAL was going to be dropping San Diego. Well guess what the Mariner Society got back on and said to me that no they are still not finished with 2016 and that it upper management said we are not even finished with our 2016 schedule. Also said that inca empire cruises, 10 day Mexican Riviera cruises, South Pacific, and Asia, and New Zealand, Sydney cruises will all go out of both Vancover and San Diego.

Sailing on B2B Western/Eastern Carribean Cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam 3/15/2015

Becoming 4 STAR MARINER

PHEW! Good news.:)

Really? I cancelled a cruise from San Diego last year because it was going to take me all day to get there from Vancouver. That used to be a 3.5 hour flight. Now you can only do it with connections through SF or LAX. A 45 minute connection would be insanity.

Non-stops out of Seattle. Take a bus or train to Seattle and fly out of there. Frequent non-stops (6 a day)

Or a number of 1 stops on Alaska Air connecting through Seattle, Portland, LAX. With good connection times, total travel as low as 5 hours 10 minutes.

I have done it several times, though I was starting in San Diego.

Edited by RDC1

As far as San Diego airport is concerned I have found it to be a nice airport to fly out of. Easy to get to, decent facilities. Security can sometimes get a little backed up when a big convention is in town and leaving. Because it is used to the convention traffic the number of people from a cruise ship is not an issue.

Did over 1 million miles of air travel out of that airport.

As with many airports on the West coast most flights to the east coast are either early morning or red eye flights late at night. You run into that at LA, SFO and Seattle as well.

Best airline out of San Diego was American through Dallas or Chicago or United through Denver. You have very good access up the west coast using Alaska Air.

I have heard that the port operations are not the best when it comes to cruise ships though.

I'm on the March 21 Veendam 7-day Mexico cruise from San Diego. I've booked a SW return flight for 11:05 a.m. on day of disembarkation. I guess there is a good chance I won't make that flight. However, the next flight at 4:05 p.m. seems awfully late. So, I'm going to take my chances, and hope for the best with the early flight. Will report back here either way.

Edited by Chelly

Non-stops out of Seattle. Take a bus or train to Seattle and fly out of there. Frequent non-stops (6 a day)

Or a number of 1 stops on Alaska Air connecting through Seattle, Portland, LAX. With good connection times, total travel as low as 5 hours 10 minutes.

I have done it several times, though I was starting in San Diego.

No thanks. Train or bus, we still have to deal with a border crossing. Train would be preferable, and bus takes about 3 hours to Seattle plus border time. Then check in at the airport and then the flight time. Trying to find the time saving here. Still can't figure out how Vancouver to San Diego can be done in 5 hrs 10 mins with land travel plus flight plus check in and security, and so on....

No thanks. Train or bus, we still have to deal with a border crossing. Train would be preferable, and bus takes about 3 hours to Seattle plus border time. Then check in at the airport and then the flight time. Trying to find the time saving here. Still can't figure out how Vancouver to San Diego can be done in 5 hrs 10 mins with land travel plus flight plus check in and security, and so on....

The five hour 10 minutes was for a flight on Alaska Air out of Vancouver with a 1 hour 5 minute connection in Portland. It was in comparison to the direct time 3.5 hour flight you mentioned. Portland is an easy airport for connections. So you can get there taking 1 hour 40 minutes longer. If you really wanted to.

Nor would I. I was just making a point that the travel time with one stop is not "all day". The are other flights with longer, but not too long, layovers.

igraf

I missed your point when you suggested a connecting flight that most of us agree we'd never book. :D It isn't a viable option IMO

The five hour 10 minutes was for a flight on Alaska Air out of Vancouver with a 1 hour 5 minute connection in Portland. It was in comparison to the direct time 3.5 hour flight you mentioned. Portland is an easy airport for connections. So you can get there taking 1 hour 40 minutes longer. If you really wanted to.

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood when you said take a train or bus to Seattle.

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood when you said take a train or bus to Seattle.

I mentioned the Seattle option for if your focus was on only taking non-stops.

Yes it would take longer in time, but it would provide non-stop access.

I'm on the March 21 Veendam 7-day Mexico cruise from San Diego. I've booked a SW return flight for 11:05 a.m. on day of disembarkation. I guess there is a good chance I won't make that flight. However, the next flight at 4:05 p.m. seems awfully late. So, I'm going to take my chances, and hope for the best with the early flight. Will report back here either way.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have done four cruises out of San Diego. I did the Mexican Rivera in 2000. That is when we had the election with the hanging chads. I also did two Hawaiian Cruises in 2005 and 2008. I also did a relocation cruise to Ft. Lauderdale in October 2013. In each of these cruises, I found it wonderful going out of San Diego.

I have done four cruises out of San Diego. I did the Mexican Rivera in 2000. That is when we had the election with the hanging chads. I also did two Hawaiian Cruises in 2005 and 2008. I also did a relocation cruise to Ft. Lauderdale in October 2013. In each of these cruises, I found it wonderful going out of San Diego.

I guess I am an exceptionally lucky cruiser. :D I have sailed out of San Diego eight times since 2007 and have never had a cruise related delay at embarkation or departure. :cool:

Yes, we have been delayed at the airport for fog upon disembarkation, but that was not cruise related. Only cruise related delay on all those cruises, was that we were delayed for a day returning from Hawaii due to multiple medical emergencies.

I am praying that my departure in 14 days will also be stress free but will enjoy whatever we happen upon because we are on vacation in a spectacular city!:D

Edited by localady

Chelly- I think you should be fine. Just pay SW for pre-board and then request the early debarkation toting your own luggage. I have an 11:45am SW flight out of SD and really don't have a concern.

Have a great cruise! :)

Edited by localady

Chelly- I think you should be fine. Just pay SW for pre-board and then request the early debarkation toting your own luggage. I have an 11:45am SW flight out of SD and really don't have a concern.

Have a great cruise! :)

Thank you localady. I really appreciate your experience-based advise.

And, best wishes to you for a fantastic cruise.

Edited by Chelly