Adios San Diego

DAllenTCY

A quick search on Orbitz shows flights with layovers under 45 minutes connecting through Seattle or LA.

igraf

It is no longer good for West coast Canadians as there are no direct flights from Vancouver to San Diego. Now it takes pretty much all day to get there either via San Fransisco or LA. Stinks and I'm not willing to do it.:(

Cruises out of Ensenada have already been tried and abandoned. The border crossings back into the USA can take a very long time, and the whole busing experience is quite a hassle.
Obviously the cruise lines are well aware of this and still are interested in trying from a different Mexican port. ;)

I think that some of these people on this thread are just jealous about how we have been wearing shorts and sandals all week! :-)

igraf

Just got off the phone with Mariners. We live in San Diego and and love cruising out of here. Explained comments from CC to them and said they know for a fact that San Diego is their major hub to HAL and they are using San Diego port. They put me on hold to do research and to find out if for a fact HAL was going to be dropping San Diego. Well guess what the Mariner Society got back on and said to me that no they are still not finished with 2016 and that it upper management said we are not even finished with our 2016 schedule. Also said that inca empire cruises, 10 day Mexican Riviera cruises, South Pacific, and Asia, and New Zealand, Sydney cruises will all go out of both Vancover and San Diego.

Sailing on B2B Western/Eastern Carribean Cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam 3/15/2015

Becoming 4 STAR MARINER

A quick search on Orbitz shows flights with layovers under 45 minutes connecting through Seattle or LA.
No way would we consider a layover under 45 minutes at either LAX or SEA. :eek: A connecting flight is a far cry from the "direct flight" solocanadian desires.

No way would we consider a layover under 45 minutes at either LAX or SEA. :eek: A connecting flight is a far cry from the "direct flight" solocanadian desires.

I can't think of any airport where I would consider a layover of under 45 minutes ;) You are absolutely right - a connecting flight is a far cry from direct.

I think that some of these people on this thread are just jealous about how we have been wearing shorts and sandals all week! :-)

igraf

Nah, that's not it. My one and only San Diego embarkation was beyond awful. It was so bad, it had me in tears (not easy to do, btw). It was the most disorganized mess I have ever been through---sailing or otherwise.

I would rather endure the snow we've had here than go through that again.

I can't think of any airport where I would consider a layover of under 45 minutes ;)
Good point. We might consider a 45 minute connection at SLC - IF we were going from regional jet to regional jet. At least then we'd be using the same compact concourse. Even so, we'd book a longer connection if at all possible.

I'd prefer a nonstop to a direct flight any day. A connecting flight is last choice. ;)

Edited by Mary Ellen

Nah, that's not it. My one and only San Diego embarkation was beyond awful. It was so bad, it had me in tears (not easy to do, btw). It was the most disorganized mess I have ever been through---sailing or otherwise.

That was our Hawaii "Voyage of the Spammed" Cruise Critic Group Cruise, dearest Ruth ... when I finally got to meet you! 2006 ... 9 years ago and 116 shared cruise-days aboard HAL ships since! 31 more to come!

As horrible as that boarding was, and the Earthquake in Hawaii aside, the cruise was fantastic.

Edited by RevNeal

And ... has HAL discontinued regularly scheduled cruises to Hawaii, or have I just missed something? I loved their 15-day round trip to Hawaii out of San Diego. I've done it 3 times and would love to do it, or something like it, again some day.

Our last cruise outta San Diego was a dream, granted it was the fall of '12 so things might've changed a little.

We flew in 2 days early to do some touristy things and the airport was a breeze. Of course we were smart and didn't arrive at peak traffic time. We got to San D @ about 8-9 pm and then got to our hotel and grab some victuals in Little Italy w/o any negative fanfare by 9.30 pm.

Boarding the Westy was a dream too, got to the pier at 10.15 am and we were on board by 10.50. Our room was ready by 11.30 IIRC.

Flying outta San Diego was a dream too. Got to the airport, dropped off our bags and that was it.

I am used to congested and just bandaged up mistakes from the East Coast though... so to me San D was a breeze.

That was our Hawaii "Voyage of the Spammed" Cruise Critic Group Cruise, dearest Ruth ...

That's the cruise.

Everything that came after actually getting in the terminal was wonderful, especially sailing with you and the great group you put together. Scared as I was at the time, I don't even mind remembering the earthquake! :eek:

But to this day, remembering that initial experience at the San Diego port, is still upsetting. No port that has ships in on a regular basis, year after year, should be that bad.

That's the cruise.

Everything that came after actually getting in the terminal was wonderful, especially sailing with you and the great group you put together. Scared as I was at the time, I don't even mind remembering the earthquake! :eek:

But to this day, remembering that initial experience at the San Diego port, is still upsetting. No port that has ships in on a regular basis, year after year, should be that bad.

Totally agreed.

I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience with your only San Diego embarkation. Please don't completely rule out giving San Diego another chance. We have boarded in San Diego several times and yes you need patience when waiting for a wheelchair (they only have about 2 or 3) but once you are in that wheelchair you are on board very quickly.

I cannot even count how many times I have sailed in and out of Holland America. The ONLY times Embarkation and Disembarkation were terrible for us were when we sailed on the Zaandam, Ryndam and Veendam. The many many Oosterdam sailings were never a problem. We have sailed so many times out of San Diego and at the time thought we would be able to continue these cruises for many years to come. (WOW were we wrong) We just did not know how good we had it :o

HAL's BIG complaint is that they cannot make enough money out of San Diego and or the West Coast in general. Even though the economy has changed they are convinced that no one who sails out of the West Coast will spend any money on board. Of course their recent back up proof is the Veendam that has a terrible spa and totally empty shops on board with nothing to purchase so that tells HAL that no one will spend money on the ships on the West Coast :rolleyes: ........In the mean time I am taking a cruise on NCL Jewel out of LA in November, In a suite and yes will spend lots of money on board with their nice Spa and things to do on board the ship :D

And ... has HAL discontinued regularly scheduled cruises to Hawaii, or have I just missed something? I loved their 15-day round trip to Hawaii out of San Diego. I've done it 3 times and would love to do it, or something like it, again some day.

There is a 30 day R/T out of San Diego next year on the Westerdam. Hawaii, Tahiti and Marquesas. come join us :D

Well, they could start to look at San Francisco. There is a new cruise terminal after the America's Cup finished. X and Princess already embark from SF.

We loved the 14 night Mexico cruises from SF in the early 80's. Had an overnight in Acapulco in the middle.

I love San Diego. even the airport.

There, I said it.

We walk from the airport, the only port we can do that!

Otherwise, the new cruise terminal is lovely, but have used it all of once since it was built! The "barn" is fine if you are 5 star and get to waltz in, past the long lines, both outside and after customs.

Too bad!

igraf

Really? I cancelled a cruise from San Diego last year because it was going to take me all day to get there from Vancouver. That used to be a 3.5 hour flight. Now you can only do it with connections through SF or LAX. A 45 minute connection would be insanity.

Really? I cancelled a cruise from San Diego last year because it was going to take me all day to get there from Vancouver. That used to be a 3.5 hour flight. Now you can only do it with connections through SF or LAX. A 45 minute connection would be insanity.

I do have to say that our connections from the East Coast are really awful for San Diego. You either run the risk of missing the flight in TO with not enough time or you have to overnight in T.O.

I am so sorry that you had such a terrible experience with your only San Diego embarkation. Please don't completely rule out giving San Diego another chance. We have boarded in San Diego several times and yes you need patience when waiting for a wheelchair (they only have about 2 or 3) but once you are in that wheelchair you are on board very quickly.

Oh, I wasn't using wheelchair assistance for boarding back then! I would never try boarding in San Diego now that I do need assistance. It is so much more complicated, and considering how bad it was then, I wouldn't dare try it now.

Nope, one and done with that port for embarkation.