Royal Princess - 10 Day Eastern Caribbean - A Photo Review!

umbluemusic

About Us: Andrew and I are both 29 and I’m truly addicted to traveling, so we were excited to book this cruise a year in advance and get to stop at 6 different islands! When we were looking at different options, I knew I wanted to go to Barbados and St. Lucia, and he is pretty laid back so he let me choose this itinerary. This was also our first BIG trip together as a couple – we’ve taken a long weekend to go camp and we’ve traveled out of town for a family wedding this past summer, but neither of us has cruised with one another so it was good to see if we travel well together! I also really wanted to travel on the Royal Princess to see what it was like. Drew has only ever cruised with Royal Caribbean before, but we've each taken 2 previous cruises to this one.

Because I am the most unlucky traveler in the entire world (at least I feel like I am) we definitely wanted to fly down a day early to ensure we didn’t miss the ship. Seriously, I once misplaced my passport mid-flight and almost wasn't allowed back on the plane in Samoa. We were flying from Pittsburgh to Fort Lauderdale, and luckily direct flights were possible on JetBlue.

Andrew and I have been dating for about three and a half years, and we just recently got engaged – so this cruise felt like a big celebration for us. We are pretty budget oriented as well when we travel (mostly because I am a very frugal person and question pretty much every purchase haha).

All pictures are thumbnails, so if you'd like to see a slightly larger version just click and it should open in a new tab!

So – onto our trip!

Feb. 6, 2015 – Andrew’s Birthday and our Travel Day!

IMG_2464.jpg

^We looked so peppy considering it was about 6 am!

P1060145.jpg

^Andrew before we boarded.

The more I fly JetBlue the more I love them. Seriously – they have the comfiest seats (even without paying for their extra legroom aisles) and the TVs in the seat kept Drew occupied through our flight (hehe). As an even better bonus, they had free wifi courtesy of Verizon on our flight too so I was able to do some schoolwork while we were on our way! I kept monitoring the flights up until we left and if we had held out and flew Delta we may have saved a little money, but the free checked bag on JetBlue combined with the direct flight made it worth it to me.

We arrived on time and we had taken our bags from baggage claim by 10:15 am, and then we headed to Budget to pick up our rental car. I am normally not a person who would get a rental car, but since we got into Fort Lauderdale so early and since we decided not to stay at a traditional hotel, I decided splurging for wheels was worth it. It cost about $80 and I did make the reservation quite awhile ago – with so many ships in port and leaving the next day I’d hate to see what people were paying if they walked up to the counter to book.

The line did take forever – I didn’t get my car until after 11, and I almost took a minivan to escape the line but I really didn’t feel like driving one and paying for more gas due to it being less efficient. We were given a Ford Focus 4 Door compact car and then we went on our way!

Now, because it was Andrew’s birthday, I asked him what he would like to do. He didn’t give me any definite answers (because he is so laidback that he really is pretty happy doing whatever I pick) but about a week before we left when I asked again his face lit up and he asked to do an airboat ride. I looked into airboat companies close to Fort Lauderdale and we wound up taking a 30-minute ride and then we got to see their zoo with different wildlife found in the area.

P1060150.jpg

^Andrew before our airboat ride

P1060151.jpg

^The airboat at the dock

IMG_0906.jpg

^The ONLY alligator we saw in the water! Just a baby by the dock.

Even though we only saw the one baby gator by the dock, it was a very informative ride. I believe our captain was Captain Gerald (but I could be wrong, I meant to write it down that day) and he personally is trying to help save turtles in the Everglades. He said that the city now keeps the water high in the park all the time so a lot of wildlife have moved out of it – the deer and a lot of the turtles can’t survive there any longer. Pretty much the only things in the water are the alligators, fish, and one species of turtle, and they fall prey to alligators frequently. He said that there is an artificial island near the middle of the park and he lives on it. The turtles lay their eggs there and to help them survive, he takes the eggs and buries them in giant tubs of sand and when they hatch, he transports them to safer parts of the Everglades. He has turned over a thousand baby turtles loose each year since starting it, and is working to get protection from the government for his conservation work.

The tour company looks to be the only one in the area, but it was Everglades Tours at Sawgrass Recreation Park and I pre-purchased our tickets online. It looks like we saved a few dollars each by doing that. It was about 20 minutes from the airport and it was a very easy drive with no tolls along the way.

Because it was so windy and chilly for Florida standards, we didn’t see any gators until we got to their little zoo, but I still enjoyed riding around with Andrew and seeing the Everglades at least a little.

P1060166.jpg

P1060171.jpg

P1060186.jpg

Once we made it to the zoo section it was cool to see the alligators more closely. They even had a few that had obviously had an accident; one was missing part of a front leg (but it was all healed and he moved surprisingly fast!) and there were also snakes, tortoises, and some of the big cats that used to roam a lot more freely throughout Florida. I’m not usually a big supporter of zoos but it was a nice small one and it seemed that all the animals were pretty well taken care of in the facility.

P1060203.jpg

^I freaking loved these guys! They were so huge.

P1060204.jpg

^I love this guy too ☺

P1060220.jpg

^A hawk posing for us.

After the park, we were pretty hungry so I looked on Urbanspoon and found a tapas restaurant not too far away from the park (Entretapas Restaurant). We shared a pitcher of sangria and got some sandwiches as well – the food was really good, but seemed a little overpriced and the service was less than stellar. I actually think I talked to the busser more (because he kept checking on us). It took us about 15 minutes to even get our drinks ordered, and the restaurant had 3-4 other tables. We were exhausted once we left the restaurant - getting up around 5am had really kicked our butts by that point, so we headed to our AirBnB.

I had originally booked a hotel for over $100 for the night, but after looking into AirBnB I found a great deal and stayed at someone's house for $62 total. The bed was AMAZING - probably the comfiest thing ever; we've determined that we need a memory foam topper now. It was a large room with a queen bed, a printer, desk, wifi, a Keurig, a bathroom separate from the owner and her husband, and they gave us full use of their laundry, living room with huge TV, and kitchen if we needed it. They also had a nice large lanai style porch at the back of their house and if we had been staying longer the sliding door from our room to the back would have been open more to enjoy the outdoors. Since we were only staying for one day we didn't use much, but I was pretty thrilled to have saved so much on our room. They were about 15 minutes from the airport and close to lots of shopping and a movie theater too.

We took a nap for a couple hours after lunch and then we headed out to grab some things for the ship - I have Type 1 Diabetes and because the only fountain soda on board is diet cola, I bought a 12 pack of diet sprite and also some carbonated water. I also bought a couple things of juice and crackers as well so that I wouldn't have to pay ship prices for juice if I went low, and also I could take them on excursions with me. I also got a new memory card since mine was acting sort of weird and I didn't want it to quit mid-cruise.

We walked around the mall for awhile to waste time, headed back, and ran into our host. Both of us ended up going to bed by 11 - we were too excited to stay up and going to bed meant that we could wake up the next day and get to the ship!

Feb. 7th – Embarkation Day!

Andrew and I woke up before our alarm went off, so we hurried up and organized ourselves and then had some coffee before heading out. We had to return the rental by 10 am and I also needed to get more gas in it, so we probably left the house by about 9 am.

I had the bright idea of dropping Andrew off with our two large bags at baggage claim – I booked Princess transfers just because I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect, but in the future I’ll probably just take a regular taxi to the port when in Fort Lauderdale. Still, it did help keep my stress level down knowing that once we handed off our bags we wouldn’t have to bother hauling them around again and they would just show up in our cabins.

I dropped Andrew off and then went off to find gas – and instead I found myself in the middle of a bike race.

IMG_2483.jpg

Seriously, I am the UNLUCKIEST traveler. I was stopped for at least 10-15 minutes as cops directed the traffic and held us back when the bikers came, but I was so worried I wouldn’t get the car back in time and be charged extra. I made it back to the airport and then realized I missed the turn off for car rental return, so I frantically called Andrew and had him come pick up the two smaller carry-on sized bags we had (that I had originally planned to drag back myself from the rental area) since I was passing him again. Luckily the car made it back just in the nick of time and I checked it back in.

I made it back to the JetBlue baggage claim and then the waiting game began. I think we waited until about 11:15 or so for the transfer bus to arrive, and it was pretty boring.

So what do 20 something year olds do when bored?

IMG_2484.jpg

That’s right – take a selfie. I won’t subject you to all of them but our slightly crazy expressions should say it all.

We got on the bus and it was pretty full. We did sit in some traffic as well – with the Oasis, Celebrity, Carnival, and two Princess ships in port in addition the the Bahama Celebration ship too, it was a busy day (at least it seemed to be).

IMG_2485.jpg

Oh hey, Royal Princess! So happy to see you!

IMG_0917.jpg

The liinnnnnnnesssssssss.

Now, embarkation. Andrew is obviously brand new, and I’m still gold, so instead of getting to hang with the Platinums and Elites like I did last cruise with my aunt we were with the masses waiting. You’d think there was a fight to the death to determine who makes it on the ship from some people’s attitudes in line – honestly, I cannot grasp acting as disgruntled on the first day of my vacation as a lot of people do. I get not everyone wants to take a photo, but a first happened to me. The couple in front of us reached the photographer who asked them to stand and take their embarkation shot, and they were venomous to her – telling her how they will never take a photo and how awful the photos are and how she should just leave them alone and they just pushed right by her. She looked at Andrew and I and seemed a little shocked, so we smiled brightly and told her we’d be thrilled to take a photo.

As we stood for our picture, the next two couples behind us literally came in between the photographer and us and rolled their eyes and again ran up the gangway. Now, I understand refusing a picture. Fine. But by doing that, you’re just slowing down the process for us – and we were in line before you! After she snapped our photo, we walked up the gangway and – shocker – we were standing directly behind them. By being rude and looking crazy, they effectively jumped…two people ahead. Totally worth it, I guess.

IMG_0918.jpg

We don’t care, we’re still on vacation and HAPPY!

IMG_2486.jpg

Hey look, a big PIAZZA.

First impressions were great of the Royal – she really is beautiful. I think I still loved the Island overall for how easy it was to get around (I stayed on Caribe for my previous cruise and basically never took an elevator) but I also felt like I didn’t even get to really explore all of the Royal on this 10 day cruise. There were so many things to see and do every single day that I missed a bunch.

Our cabin was M531, and as much as I get seasick and was worried on a pretty high deck it was a great location for us. We used the aft stairs to get up to Horizon Court and the pools whenever we wanted, and we were so rarely in the room I didn’t miss having a balcony. On both previous Princess cruises I sailed with my aunt and she insists on a balcony, but when Drew and I booked this one I basically said to him we could sail inside for 10 days or on a balcony for 5, and we both wanted a longer vacation instead.

Cabin pictures!

P1060225.jpg

P1060226.jpg

P1060227.jpg

This was obviously pre-bag arrival since we hadn’t overtaken everything with our stuff.

After we dropped off my backpack and his messenger bag we went up and got Andrew his soda sticker and then went down to Concerto for lunch. As we walked in we were asked if we’d like to sit by ourselves or with others, and we said we’d be fine with other people. Andrew has never done traditional dining before and also never eaten with other people than those he came with on a cruise, so I figured this would be a good intro to see if our 5:30 early seating was going to work out.

The crew member walking us to the table kind of chuckled and said “good luck” as we sat down with three other couples that had already ordered. It turned out all three were traveling separately but they had all been married at least 50 years. One couple was from Colorado, one was from England, and the other was from…I want to say Chicago? Anyway, it was a really funny lunch; we found out the one couple had lived in Pittsburgh in the area I’m from back in the 70s, and we bonded with the other couple over our love for Doctor Who. Anyway, after we left the table Drew wasn’t scared off of the idea of traditional dining so we were definitely doing early seating in Concerto as planned!

We ended up walking around the ship and scoped out a place for sail away – Outrigger Bar! Seriously, this place was under utilized for most of the cruise. The aft location with the nice seating made it our favorite place to eat breakfast in the morning and even to grab a drink at night sometimes.

IMG_0924.jpg

Me checking out the view from Outrigger while we wandered.

P1060232.jpg

Comfy seats modeled by Drew

We then walked around and also checked out the Retreat Pool at the forward section of the ship.

P1060235.jpg

By that point, it was time for the muster drill and we wound up rushing to get our life jackets and head down to Deck 7 outside of Princess Live. We weren’t the last people to get there, but we were late enough that we didn’t get a seat. It didn’t take too long and as soon as we finished, we stopped back at the room to drop off our life preservers and head back to Outrigger for a sail away margarita!

Loving your review!![emoji1]

Thank you for the review. Very enjoyable and I'll continue to follow it!

We go on the Regal next week-woo hoo!

I'm not sure how to multi quote clearly but thanks everyone! I want to post it all as soon as I can so it stays fresh - it was a great trip. :)

Thanks so much for reviewing your vacation! I am totally enjoying it.

On the part about how rude people are when you decide to have a boarding photo done is so true! What is so wrong that you can't wait 10 seconds to proceed? And the faces! Exactly! :eek:

Its now a tradition that DH and I get a photo pre-boarding. We don't usually take any other photo's but the first one. Doesn't everybody have a tradition when they cruise?:cool:

So funny, to see if you travel well together. We did this 12 years ago on the Grand Princess. Come to find out we traveled very well together. Married 9 years now with two sharp kids 6 and 5. it all started where you guys are now. Got engaged on a ship too. Hope you guys had a great time!!!

Our cabin was M531...

I'm trying to think back - all the way back to SwissDave's pictures while he was on the Maiden Voyage of Royal Princess - but I believe those are the first pictures I've seen of a standard inside cabin? Interesting. And I can see now why people say that the sideways inside cabins are a little bigger in the bedroom area.

I'd be interested in hearing of any noise issues that you have from the only neighboring cabin (M537), or any other "issues" from it's location.

:D

I'm trying to think back - all the way back to SwissDave's pictures while he was on the Maiden Voyage of Royal Princess - but I believe those are the first pictures I've seen of a standard inside cabin? Interesting. And I can see now why people say that the sideways inside cabins are a little bigger in the bedroom area.

I'd be interested in hearing of any noise issues that you have from the only neighboring cabin (M537), or any other "issues" from it's location.

Honestly, we didn't have any issues with noise. I know the cabin next to us was occupied but we never heard a thing. I was a little worried when we were assigned it (since we booked guarantee and didn't get our cabin until a few weeks until the cruise) but even being under Horizon Court and the Pastry Shoppe, I rarely heard anything. I know one morning when I was already up I heard something crash, but if I hadn't been awake already it wouldn't have woken me up.

Very nice, thank you!

Honestly, we didn't have any issues with noise. I know the cabin next to us was occupied but we never heard a thing. I was a little worried when we were assigned it (since we booked guarantee and didn't get our cabin until a few weeks until the cruise) but even being under Horizon Court and the Pastry Shoppe, I rarely heard anything. I know one morning when I was already up I heard something crash, but if I hadn't been awake already it wouldn't have woken me up.

Thanks for your fun and positive review - can't wait for more. We will be onboard in April; it is great to see a positive review!

Pam in KY

I second that!

We sail on Feb 27 and I love your detailed 'POSITIVE' review. I typically don't enjoy the embarkation photos (would rather wait until I am dressed-made-up for formal night) but seriously can't people just be polite - wait - and say 'no thank you' with a smile. You are on vacation for goodness sake- have fun!

I'll admit, the last few cruises I have bypassed the photographers, smiled and said no thank you. I started that when they still used film and I hated for them to waste it. You've awakened my conscience, though, so we'll stop and smile when we get to them in March.

We too have been guilty of passing by the photographers. It was a game to see if we could slide by before being gently grabbed and dragged over for the photos, both the when boarding and when getting off the ship at a port.

Our daughter just graduated from college with a degree in Commercial photography. This summer one of her jobs was to take photos of the fans at the local ball park as they entered for a game. They were paid by how many photographs they took during their time there. She told us that that is how most of these places work. Number of photographs taken, more money earned. I don't know if Princess operates this way but it made us think, what does it matter if we are 10 seconds later getting on or off the ship? On the last cruise we took, we tried to get and many taken as possible! It was fun.

In any direction you feel about the photographers, there is no need to be vocal about them. Just quietly pass or smile and say sure.

love reading your photo journal. we were on this sailing too and I remember seeing you both on board.

I don't mind posing for the pics, we rarely buy them, but the photo staff on board do need to get quotas and heck it is fun to pose and then try to find them later...

Note the Coral will be the first ship to go totally digital with all pics being displayed on screens (told to us by the photo manager on the ultimate ship's tour).

Vickie