Urgent Oasis/Liberty Wi-fi Internet Questions (Leave Friday)

adam61

My wife and I typically like to completely unplug during our cruises no cell phone, no computer no nothing. However, Murphy's law being what it is just 2 days before we fly out there's been a bit of a catastrophe at work and they really need me to be able to be connected in some form or fashion (in fact they'd prefer I didn't leave at all, but at this point that's not happening). I've NEVER done any cell service at sea so I need some advice badly on options and pricing.

If at all possible please let me know pricing with tax and any applicable fees. Our possible devices are a laptop, an ipad, and 2 iphones, all have Wi-Fi.

1) Which would be the best devices to use typically, and are there plans that include unlimited devices for 1 stateroom?

2) Is the internet reasonably fast? I need to be able to move 5-20MB files without spending my entire cruise waiting for it and I know cruise internet has a reputation for being pretty slow.

3) Also I anticipate I can handle the business by e-mail only, but if I needed to call or text would that be included as well or what would be the charge for that service? We utilize Verizon if that matters.

4) We leave on the Oasis this Saturday (2/21-2/28) What are my options and costs for this leg?

5) We then board the Liberty from (2/28-3/5) What are my options and costs on this leg?

Sorry if I sound demanding, but just as I'm starting to pack and get ready to leave this hit me out of left field so it's more a sense of panic I promise!! I need to know costs as close as possible so I can submit options for reimbursement. Thanks a million for your help I know you are all the masters at this!!

Edited by adam61

Who is your cellular provider? I just read some articles on T-Mobile has voice/text/data over WiFi. Basically, your phone works as normal when connected to WiFi. However, it appears they are the only provider who offers that service at this time. I have ATT and they are saying it will be offered "in 2015" so no date set yet.

Oasis seems to have a great new WiFi plan, which I plan to use in March. Reports have been the speed is equivalent to home broadband.

Keep in mind if you are in a US port you can also use your cellular phone as normal. Last cruise I used my cel phone as a "hot spot" for my IPad in San Juan.

If this is work...then your work will PAY for you to be connected! That's how it works! It's a "write off" as a business expense... so keep whatever bills you incur, and turn them in. Cost shouldn't be a factor, if your business requires your contact!

Costs are the same, no matter the ship!

Edited by cb at sea

If at all possible please let me know pricing with tax and any applicable fees. Our possible devices are a laptop, an ipad, and 2 iphones, all have Wi-Fi.

On Indy I absolutely could not get DW's iPad to connect. It was very out of character for an Apple product, but no problem with my MacBook and while the connection was obviously slower than my 65mbs cable connection at home it certainly has improved. I'll blame the Remote Desktop for slowing down the work stuff as Facebook was plenty quick enough.

Our unlimited plan was 2 devices only, but that also predates this recent favorable price change so who knows? And don't forget the coupon in your Seapass dealie, our Emerald one got us 15% off.

I remember the dark days when you were getting dial-up speeds and needed a wired connection, followed by the same speeds at a wi-fi hotspot of which there weren't many. Kudos to RCL for the "upgrade".

Was on Oasis on Jan 24th. Was able to get premium plus for $130 for the week for one devices. Speed was 4-5 megbits. Was able to do facetime and use skype to make calls to landlines and cell phones. Had a chat app open so if someone needed me, they could ping me, but I did not have it on all the time. Some parts of the ship were better than others, but generally was good. Facetime seems better quality than skype calls. If you need a laptop and phone at the same time you will need to get the 2 device plan. I've VPN'd into my office network with a 4Mbs connection and was able to use email, chat access Db's and could work fairly normally.

Was on Oasis on Jan 24th. Was able to get premium plus for $130 for the week for one devices. Speed was 4-5 megbits. Was able to do facetime and use skype to make calls to landlines and cell phones. Had a chat app open so if someone needed me, they could ping me, but I did not have it on all the time. Some parts of the ship were better than others, but generally was good. Facetime seems better quality than skype calls. If you need a laptop and phone at the same time you will need to get the 2 device plan. I've VPN'd into my office network with a 4Mbs connection and was able to use email, chat access Db's and could work fairly normally.

Do you know what kind of VPN you were using?

Thanks for your help!!

It seems Oasis now has unlimited for $10/day per device (Is this confirmed it seems to be very new and I still see $250 for 2 devices thrown around along with the $140/). A couple unanswered questions still...

1) When they say per device is that at once or is it tied to that device forever. If I edit a spreadsheet and send it on my computer then log off that and onto my phone to facetime someone to explain my changes is that 1 device or two?

2) Everyone mentions Oasis and their great internet, but I don't see Liberty mentioned. What are my options and costs for the 5 day cruise on Liberty right after?

Thanks!!

Thanks for your help!!

...1) When they say per device is that at once or is it tied to that device forever. If I edit a spreadsheet and send it on my computer then log off that and onto my phone to facetime someone to explain my changes is that 1 device or two?...

Per device means per simultaneuous device. You can use as many different devices as you like, but only 1 or 2 (depending on the plan your purchase) can be logged in simultaneously.

If this is work...then your work will PAY for you to be connected! That's how it works! It's a "write off" as a business expense... so keep whatever bills you incur, and turn them in. Cost shouldn't be a factor, if your business requires your contact!

Costs are the same, no matter the ship!

EXACTLY. then there is no need to worry about cost or speed. they need you so badly, then they can foot the bill.

Yes they are willing to foot the bill but I have to give them the cost before I go (like today) and I will get a thumbs up or thumbs down. I'm hearing 140-250 on oasis for 2 devices for the week and for liberty I still have no idea.

Yes they are willing to foot the bill but I have to give them the cost before I go (like today) and I will get a thumbs up or thumbs down. I'm hearing 140-250 on oasis for 2 devices for the week and for liberty I still have no idea.

We must be cruising together on both cruises. We leave in the morning for FLL first week on the Oasis, then 5 days on the LIberty.

You might want to join the meet and mingle from CC.

jc

Per device means per simultaneuous device. You can use as many different devices as you like, but only 1 or 2 (depending on the plan your purchase) can be logged in simultaneously.

Ah, did not realize that. That makes the package much more appealing to me. Thanks for the info, as always

I'm on Liberty in two weeks, and got this from a recent cruiser on another thread:

Hi, was on the Dec 15th sailing -- service plans were:

Best Value: $129.95 - cruise special plan - unlimited plan for 2 devices can be logged in at a time.

Unlimited Plan: $95.50 (one device may be logged in at a time)

Daily Plan: $49.95 -- 24 hours consecutive access (one device at a time)

Hourly Plan: $29.95 -- 60 minutes can be used throughout the cruise (one device at a time)

C&A members can redeem any internet coupons at the time of purchase.

I used the ships computer(s) and found the internet service not too bad. Only once did it seem rather slow.