which Caribbean cruise has better ports of call

opus2002

Hello,

First time poster here. Wife and I have never been on a cruise before nor to the Caribbean. We could use some help in figuring out which itinerary fits our needs better Since we have friends at Oceania, we have narrowed it down to two trips.

Islands common to both cruises

- Miami

- San Juan, Puerto Rico

- Gustavia, France

- Philipsburg, St. Maarten

- Nassau, Bahamas

10-day on Riviera:

- Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos

- Tortola, BVI

- Cayo Levantado, Dominican

2 days just cruising the sea, plus islands common to both

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Carib...evenToFourteen

12-day on Regatta:

- St. John’s, Antigua

- Castries, Saint Lucia

- St. George’s, Grenada

- Bridgetown, Barbados

3 days cruising the sea, plus islands common to both

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/Caribbean-cruises/miami-to-miami-REG150411/?sr=%2Fcruise-finder%2F%23destinations%3Dcaribbean%23cruiseLengths%3DUpToSeven%2CEightToTen%2CElevenToFourteen

I would have preferred the shorter trip, but work schedule wise, the longer 12-day trip is better. (Other one is still doable.) Riviera is a bigger ship with bigger rooms while the Regatta has smaller rooms and has recently been renovated. Since we have never been on a cruise, we don’t know what our preference is – better or smaller ships. We are looking for a relaxing time, good beaches, and some sightseeing as well.

Question:

- Ports of call wise, which one is better suited to what we are looking for? (Great beach at or near port of call, some sightseeing)

- I remembered reading that in Oceania, you can only eat at the specialty restaurant once. I think this was on Riviera. But then, I read a review about Regatta, that they ate at a specialty restaurant several times. What did I miss here?

As to the ports, you should hit the library, pick up a guidebook, and see what each place has to offer...then you can make your decision on which itinerary to pick!

Ship cabins are NOWHERE near the size of a hotel room, so be forewarned! On a longer cruise, the larger cabin you can get, the more comfortable you'll be!

More Oceania specific questions, find the Oceania Forum...you'll get ship-specific info!

Good luck! whatever you choose, you'll have a great time!

Welcome to CC and the great folks here who are eager to help!

I would also suggest that you check out the Ports of Call board on CC. You can look at all of those and get some good tips from other cruisers who have been there and done that. You should also be able to take a look at the two ships to see what others are saying about them. And, if all that fails, the advice to get a guide book is good advice!

Have a great cruise and let us know which ship/itinerary you chose and how you liked it. :)

One thing you might take into consideration is that the shorter cruise has two more tender ports than the longer cruise. If you aren't familiar with the term, it means that the ship does not dock, but anchors offshore, and you go ashore in a smaller boat, or tender. Not that it is a painful process, but having to be ferried back and forth to shore eats into the time you have in the port. EM

Do what we are doing. Fly to Puerto Rico and start your cruise from there. We found flights to actually be cheaper (from Mpls anyways) and that allows us to do the southern Caribbean.

Something to consider if you planned on flying to your start point anyways.

If you are driving to Miami from Philly, then ignore me. :p

BTW: We are excited with our choice on AOS.

Puerto Rico

St. Thomas VI

St. Croix VI

St. Johns Antigua Barbuda

St Lucia

Grenada

Day at sea

Puerto Rico

We have been on Regatta and Riviera. I prefer the slightly larger Riviera, but if the 12 day Regatta cruise is more convenient, by all means take it. Since you don't know any of the islands, it makes no real difference which ones youl visit. Sooner or later you'll need another winter break and cruise to the other islands. :)

Both ships are in top shape, have excellent food and offer a relaxing atmosphere.

OP: The dining limit is on ADVANCED specialty restaurant reservations.

The number per restaurant and how far in advance you can reserve depends on cabin category and ship. For example, if you are in a veranda cabin on either ship you get one reservation per each of the two restaurants on Regatta or four restaurants on Riviera.

However, on board you can then ask for this evening's reservation that same morning. On our Regatta Alaska cruise this past summer, we had 2 advanced reservations but ate in specialties on 4 nights.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Thank you for all your helpful comments.

- Guidebook and CC to look at ports of call. I am now reading Frommer's Caribbean ports of call book.

- Bigger cabins...I certainly prefer this, which would favor the Riviera / 10-day cruise.

-On the other hand, 10-day cruise has three tenders versus one for the 12-day one.

- Miami to Miami is fixed, as Oceania does not offer Puerto Rico ports.

- Ocruises and George C...what ports in the 12-day cruise make both of you prefer it?