Help, do i need a passport?

bobbyster

"Should the last names of the parent sailing with their minor child differ, the parent is required to present the child’s valid passport book and visa (if required) and the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation."

The mother's last name does not match the children's last name, but the two children are older than 18 and younger than 21. Do the children still need to follow this rule?

"Should the last names of the parent sailing with their minor child differ, the parent is required to present the child’s valid passport book and visa (if required) and the child’s birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation."

The mother's last name does not match the children's last name, but the two children are older than 18 and younger than 21. Do the children still need to follow this rule?

If a person is over 18, they are not a minor chil, period. They are legal adults in virtually every country in the world including the United States. No idea what being 21 has to do with anything except being able to purchase and consume alcohol onboard from US posted ships.

As such, they will need their own documentation for their cruise, regardless of what the mother has. If the young adults are US citizens, a passport is encouraged, and recommended. However, in some circumstances, such as a closed loop cruise which includes only countries in the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (ie Bahamas, Most Caribbean, Bermuda, etc), as a US citizen, they would only need state issued birth certificate, and government issued photo ID. If their last name is differenthe than their birth certificate, they also need the bridge document which shows when/why name change.

If you are the mother, you need the same info as above for yourself. As the "kids" are actually adults, you don't have to prove parenthood nor have documents showing you have permission to take them out of country.

Enjoy your sailing.

But at the same time, 18 year olds are not allowed to sail alone, they must be accompanied with an adult, which is why i am confused.

Unless they're married, traveling with parents or grandparents or in the military.

As noted, the young adults are not minors - they could sail on their own in above circumstances, or even if they had a 21 or older friend with them in same cabin.

Edited by reedprincess

Unless they're married, traveling with parents or grandparents or in the military.

As noted, the young adults are not minors - they could sail on their own in above circumstances, or even if they had a 21 or older friend with them in same cabin.

So basically you're saying, if I am 18 years old, I can sail with a 25 year old even if they are not my legal guardian?

Also, one more question, what kind of vaccinations do i need to sail to cozumel, mexico, if any? And how would they even check if i got my vaccinations?

So basically you're saying, if I am 18 years old, I can sail with a 25 year old even if they are not my legal guardian?

Also, one more question, what kind of vaccinations do i need to sail to cozumel, mexico, if any? And how would they even check if i got my vaccinations?

No vaccinations are needed for Caribbean travel.

Each line has different age requirements. Some say those under 21, have to sail with someone over 25 if not with parents or a spouse. Some say everyone in a cabin has to be over 21. Disney (and a couple others) will let anyone over 18 sail with anyone over the age of 18.

RCCL policy states:

No Guest younger than the age twenty-one (21) will be assigned to a stateroom unless accompanied in the same stateroom by an adult twenty-one (21) years old or older. A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing.

Link

Edited by Corndog819

You don't need anything as has been stated, but if the names are different due to not changing the name when married a certified birth certificate would work.

But if due to divorce you would need paperwork showing you have custody of the child and are not taking them out of the country illegally.

Currently we are a 3 last name family and have never had an issue, but we have always had the paperwork with us just in case that one time there is an issue.

http://info.legalzoom.com/signature-divorced-spouse-minor-child-out-country-21628.html

A divorced parent may want to take a child on trips and vacations outside the United States without the other parent's involvement or permission. However, international travel with a child may require consent from the other parent. Travel without the other parent's consent may result in an international child abduction case or other legal consequences. Parents should know their rights established by their divorce decree and understand the relevant state and federal laws regarding travel with children.

Terms of Custody Order

The divorced parents' custody arrangement often determines each parent's rights to act without the other parent's consent. If parents share custodial rights through joint legal custody, each parent generally has a right to oppose major decisions related to the minor child's life. For example, a parent with custodial rights may be able to oppose the other parent taking a child out of the country for a trip or for relocation. In addition, the terms of the parents' divorce decree may specifically restrict travel or relocation without the consent of both parents. If the other parent opposes the international travel, a parent planning to travel may need to obtain a court order.

Requirements for Passport Issuance

To travel abroad, a child requires a passport. U.S. laws regarding passport issuance require both parents' signatures on the application form submitted on behalf of a child under the age of 16. Both parents must appear in person to apply for their child's passport. If only one parent can appear in person to apply for the child's passport, the other parent may provide a signed consent form. If only one parent would like to apply for the child's U.S. passport and the other parent does not agree, the parent applying for the passport generally must show a court order confirming sole custody of the child. However, a child who qualifies for dual citizenship may receive a foreign passport in addition to a U.S. passport. The U.S. Department of State does not oversee the application procedures and passport issuance laws of other nations.

Letter of Consent for International Travel

The U.S. Department of State suggests that a parent who plans to travel abroad without the child's other parent obtain a letter of consent. The entry and departure requirements for travelers often vary from one airport to another and from one destination to another. Under some circumstances, an airline employee or immigration official may ask to see signed consent from the child's other parent before allowing a child to leave the country.

Consequences of Travel without Parental Consent

If a divorced parent takes a child out of the country without the other parent's consent, the other parent may be able to open an international parental child abduction case. The U.S. Department of State handles international child kidnapping through the Office of Children's Issues. In addition, a custodial parent may need to file a local police report and ask law enforcement to enter the minor's information into the National Crime Information Center, a federal database. The parent may also benefit from consulting with a family law attorney about enforcing the custody terms of the divorce decree.

You don't need anything as has been stated, but if the names are different due to not changing the name when married a certified birth certificate would work.

But if due to divorce you would need paperwork showing you have custody of the child and are not taking them out of the country illegally.

Currently we are a 3 last name family and have never had an issue, but we have always had the paperwork with us just in case that one time there is an issue.

http://info.legalzoom.com/signature-divorced-spouse-minor-child-out-country-21628.html

A divorced parent may want to take a child on trips and vacations outside the United States without the other parent's involvement or permission. However, international travel with a child may require consent from the other parent. Travel without the other parent's consent may result in an international child abduction case or other legal consequences. Parents should know their rights established by their divorce decree and understand the relevant state and federal laws regarding travel with children.

Terms of Custody Order

The divorced parents' custody arrangement often determines each parent's rights to act without the other parent's consent. If parents share custodial rights through joint legal custody, each parent generally has a right to oppose major decisions related to the minor child's life. For example, a parent with custodial rights may be able to oppose the other parent taking a child out of the country for a trip or for relocation. In addition, the terms of the parents' divorce decree may specifically restrict travel or relocation without the consent of both parents. If the other parent opposes the international travel, a parent planning to travel may need to obtain a court order.

Requirements for Passport Issuance

To travel abroad, a child requires a passport. U.S. laws regarding passport issuance require both parents' signatures on the application form submitted on behalf of a child under the age of 16. Both parents must appear in person to apply for their child's passport. If only one parent can appear in person to apply for the child's passport, the other parent may provide a signed consent form. If only one parent would like to apply for the child's U.S. passport and the other parent does not agree, the parent applying for the passport generally must show a court order confirming sole custody of the child. However, a child who qualifies for dual citizenship may receive a foreign passport in addition to a U.S. passport. The U.S. Department of State does not oversee the application procedures and passport issuance laws of other nations.

Letter of Consent for International Travel

The U.S. Department of State suggests that a parent who plans to travel abroad without the child's other parent obtain a letter of consent. The entry and departure requirements for travelers often vary from one airport to another and from one destination to another. Under some circumstances, an airline employee or immigration official may ask to see signed consent from the child's other parent before allowing a child to leave the country.

Consequences of Travel without Parental Consent

If a divorced parent takes a child out of the country without the other parent's consent, the other parent may be able to open an international parental child abduction case. The U.S. Department of State handles international child kidnapping through the Office of Children's Issues. In addition, a custodial parent may need to file a local police report and ask law enforcement to enter the minor's information into the National Crime Information Center, a federal database. The parent may also benefit from consulting with a family law attorney about enforcing the custody terms of the divorce decree.

None of which applies as the "children" are all of legal age.

I'm not saying it, RCI is. Right in their FAQs. http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&faqId=309&faqSubjectId=333

Hence, if they are 18 and marri d, 18 and in the military, 18 and sailing with a friend over 18, etc - they can sail "unaccompanied. Otheroine, someone 18-20 has to have someone 21 and over in their cabin. The only way two 18 year olds can sail unaccompanied is married or in military. They do not have to be with parents or legal guardian guardians as at 18, they Revamped their own legal guardian. You do not need any paperwork to prove you have custody or legal guardianship or whatnot - as they are legal adults. They can vote, go to jail, buy booze in any other country in the world, rent a car (albeit with a surcharge usually), enter legal contracts, and so on.

I believe that when you turn 18 you no longer have a "legal guardian" unless it's court ordered. You become and independent adult. You can sign contracts, live on your own, etc.

If a person is over 18, they are not a minor chil, period. They are legal adults in virtually every country in the world including the United States.
A "child" who has turned 18 is now an adult. As you said, period.

However, many businesses still will not extend "full services" to a young adult -- that is, someone 18-21 or perhaps 25. For example, car rentals and hotels won't rent to young adults. We all know the reason why: They've lost money on some of these people in the past, and they're not willing to risk this next 18-year old being irresponsible too.

Examples: After her freshman year in college, my then 19-year old wanted to rent a storage building in her college town rather than bringing home all her winter clothes, refrigerator, lamps, printer, etc. They wouldn't rent to her, but they were happy to take my money and put both our names on the lease. Right now my 18-year old daughter and her friends want to go camping this summer. The campground won't allow them to make a reservation -- and we're talking about a campground, a place that doesn't have much to destroy!

16-25 is an odd age in a kid's life. Odd, that is, in the way that the law and businesses treat him or her.

Back to the issue at hand: Yes the "children" in question can board with their own IDs, whether that's a passport or a birth certificate and state-issued ID. They do not have to prove a connection to mom. However, that's only possible because they're already booked with mom and are included in her reservation. If they were to call up on their own, they'd be turned down.

No vaccinations are needed for Caribbean travel.

That's not good general advice. There are some Caribbean areas where certain vaccinations or medications are recommended, especially if you will be taking excursions beyond the immediate port area or sampling local cuisine.

That said, Cozumel, which was the question, is pretty safe.

The CDC has a good site for advice on travel precautions. You can select the country you're visiting and the type of traveler (and cruise ship traveler is one of the options), and it will give you recommendations. It's pretty conservative and actually recommends Hep A and Typhoid for "most travelers" to Mexico, so you can get those, if you want to be on the safe side. They're not that important for a visit just to Cozumel, though.