Upgrade Fairy!

Just got the email for a balcony upgrade on our March 30th Enchantment cruise! We were booked in an ocean view on deck 2. Upgraded for $60 per person to deck 7! I was really disappointed with our cruise fare with the BOGO sale. We paid $150 more per person for the same cruise/same category/ same week than we did a year ago. This makes it all worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Just got the email for a balcony upgrade on our March 30th Enchantment cruise! We were booked in an ocean view on deck 2. Upgraded for $60 per person to deck 7! I was really disappointed with our cruise fare with the BOGO sale. We paid $150 more per person for the same cruise/same category/ same week than we did a year ago. This makes it all worth it!

Congratulations and enjoy your balcony!

Upgrade fairy is when you pull up your resi and see that you have automatically been upgraded....not pay upgrade....but congrats :)

I think Upgrade Fairy can be both. Especially if it makes people happy. Besides, not everyone wants an automatic upgrade.

Upgrade fairy is when you pull up your resi and see that you have automatically been upgraded....not pay upgrade....but congrats :)

I'm sorry, I was thinking the same thing. They paid $150 pp more for the same cruise, then had to pay an additional $120 for balcony. Doesn't sound like much of a deal. If the balcony was a free upgrade, then that would at least account for the $300 bucks. Just saying. RC is tripping with this so-called BOGO and WOW "sale". They're just jacking up the price and making you "think" you got a deal.

I'm sorry, I was thinking the same thing. They paid $150 pp more for the same cruise, then had to pay an additional $120 for balcony. Doesn't sound like much of a deal. If the balcony was a free upgrade, then that would at least account for the $300 bucks. Just saying. RC is tripping with this so-called BOGO and WOW "sale". They're just jacking up the price and making you "think" you got a deal.

Absolutely agree. Fudging the numbers to trick us into thinking we are herring a deal. Hate to do it but Carnival here I come.

If demand for that week is higher this year than last year, then prices will be higher this year than last year. Not tripping, that is econ 101.

Last year they sailed in an OV; evidently they enjoyed it as they are returning. This year they are sailing in a balcony for a little more, and they are happy.

Absolutely agree. Fudging the numbers to trick us into thinking we are herring a deal. Hate to do it but Carnival here I come.

Here's the math....We paid $329 for the ocean view last year....We paid $150 more than that this year for the same category, but we also got the $50 OBC. Depending on how you look at that, you could say it was $100 more we paid. We now paid $60 more per person for a balcony. The current rate for the room online is $839. 329 + 100 + 60= $489. I may be missing something, but that looks like a pretty good deal for a balcony to me.

As far as Carnival....tried it once....wouldn't recommend it.

Here's the math....We paid $329 for the ocean view last year....We paid $150 more than that this year for the same category, but we also got the $50 OBC. Depending on how you look at that, you could say it was $100 more we paid. We now paid $60 more per person for a balcony. The current rate for the room online is $839. 329 + 100 + 60= $489. I may be missing something, but that looks like a pretty good deal for a balcony to me.

I'd say $329 for an OV for four nights on Royal Caribbean last year was a very good price.

I'd say $479 with $50 OBC (429) for OV for 4 nights on Royal Caribbean this year was a decent price.

I'd say $539 with a $50 OBC (489) for a balcony for 4 nights on Royal Caribbean this year is a very good price. Have a wonderful time.

I have also been one one Carnival cruise. DH says never again. Personally, I might consider them again under limited circumstances (maybe a long, port intensive cruise with a special itinerary). Still, if Carnival suits somebody's style well, great for them, because Carnival cruises are generally substantially less expensive.

Last month I called in response to such an email; I was also happy to take the upsell.

With these emails, there may be fewer free upgrades, but the better cabins may now go to people who really value the better cabin (they value it enough to fork over money).

I think this thread is incorrectly labelled... this was not an upgrade. This was an upsell... OP had to pay more for the higher category room, it did not come for free as an upgrade.

I think this is brilliant strategy from RCL and I've always wondered why it was not done earlier. Rather than offering free upgrades (in other words, no revenue at all to RCL), they'll upsell a loyal cruiser for a price thus freeing up a lower price category cabin closer to sail date which has an exponential better chance of being sold at a reduced price last minute.

An amazing upsell just happened to me the first time on my upcoming Legend, and I know of quite a few on our roll call who received the phone call for upgrade. I personally think now RCl will get more revenue for those higher priced and empty higher-end cabins if they remain unsold or given away as an upgrade with zero extra revenue. And I suspect this sailing will have zero "upgrades" because of this strategy.

I believe the upgrade fairy has vanished... the upsell fairy is here to stay imo

Edited by Hoopster95

I think this thread is incorrectly labelled... this was not an upgrade. This was an upsell... OP had to pay more for the higher category room, it did not come for free as an upgrade.

I think this is brilliant strategy from RCL and I've always wondered why it was not done earlier. Rather than offering free upgrades (in other words, no revenue at all to RCL), they'll upsell a loyal cruiser for a price thus freeing up a lower price category cabin closer to sail date which has an exponential better chance of being sold at a reduced price last minute.

An amazing upsell just happened to me the first time on my upcoming Legend, and I know of quite a few on our roll call who received the phone call for upgrade. I personally think now RCl will get more revenue for those higher priced and empty higher-end cabins if they remain unsold or given away as an upgrade with zero extra revenue. And I suspect this sailing will have zero "upgrades" because of this strategy.

I believe the upgrade fairy has vanished... the upsell fairy is here to stay imo

Royal Caribbean has been slower than other lines to use the upsell technique. NCL has been doing it for many years. I got an upsell call for my one and only Carnival cruise several years ago.

Royal Caribbean does not even have to make the call. They can enter the offer details into the computer for selected guests reservations, the email the guests a vague offer. Interested guests call in to get the details.

There are PAID UPGRADES and FREE UPGRADES.

If I buy a car and pay to UPGRADE to leather, it's still an UPGRADE.

If I go to a hotel and pay to UPGRADE to a suite, it's still an UPGRADE.

I've sometimes paid a fee to UPGRADE to first class on airlines. I never ask if they could possibly UPSELL my ticket.

UPGRADE: To raise to a higher grade or standard.

UPGRADE: an occurrence in which one thing is replaced by something better, newer, more valuable, etc.

No mention is made in the vast majority of definitions as to whether it's free or paid.

FREE OR PAID it's still an UPGRADE. For a small extra fee, the OP was able to UPGRADE the cabin.

CONGRATS OP!! Good for you and enjoy. Sounds like you got a good deal that made you happy! :)

An amazing upsell just happened to me the first time on my upcoming Legend, and I know of quite a few on our roll call who received the phone call for upgrade.

Yes, and you just need to pass that right on down to us on our Legend in May...please remind them will you?????;)

In that case I see the deal. Thats better. Congrats!

If demand for that week is higher this year than last year, then prices will be higher this year than last year. Not tripping, that is econ 101.

Last year they sailed in an OV; evidently they enjoyed it as they are returning. This year they are sailing in a balcony for a little more, and they are happy.

Just because they enjoy it doesnt mean its a good deal. If theres something I really want, I get it, sale or not. But I wont be fooled into thinking I got a deal when I didnt. Thats all Im saying. And I said RC was tripping, not the OP.

Just because they enjoy it doesnt mean its a good deal. If theres something I really want, I get it, sale or not. But I wont be fooled into thinking I got a deal when I didnt. Thats all Im saying. And I said RC was tripping, not the OP.

Hmm, 3 minutes before you posted this, you posted that you could see the deal. Are you missing it again? Who's tripping? ;)

I, too, ignore the silly marketing games (from this company and others), but it they are filling their ship. If I feel the price is fair, I'll book it. That a company uses marketing tools to draw customers to look at products and prices is hardly groundbreaking; standard stuff.