Help! Green Card Expired & HAL Cruise is in 7 DAYS! What to do? Please share exp.

AmazonBlondeum

2/20/15 I booked a Caribbean cruise on Holland America for 2/27/15 the other day for my boyfriend and me. When I went to register us on their website which requires green card info, we found his green card had expired, and it won't allow us to complete the registration.

His U.K. passport is valid. He's submitted his online permanent resident renewal and paid the fees, but from what I can learn online, it may take months to receive an in-person Biometric appt (to record his fingerprints and check documentation) and then a new card.

Has anyone else ever been in this position? What can we do? I've looked online and see that some go directly to the closest USCIS office and get some sort of I-551 stamp that goes into the passport that shows renewal is in process. But that would require an emergency appt. We're only 7 days away from boarding. I'm frantic that we are going to lose our cruise & the $ I paid in full. :(

Try going old school and calling HAL. I know that some lines don't allow booking through sites where you are not resident, but as far as sailing, his passport is sufficient, it doesn't matter where he resides, just his citizenship (unless there is a visa restriction for re-entering the US or any of the countries visited). Call HAL and explain, and I'll bet they can fill out the registration.

I'd be more worried about him re-entering the country.

HAL will not let him board if there is a chance of that happening. Unfortunately I don't have any advice to give except maybe a passport/visa expediting company might be able to help? Not sure about a green card situation.

Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

I am certainly no expert on UK passports but if it is valid, can't you get the ESTA waiver required by CBP. Maybe since he is a green card holder and already in the USA, he is not eligible. I don't know. Send him out of the country someplace close and come back into the USA with the ESTA waiver???

I have an employee who is a green card holder from Fiji. When he has to renew, it usually takes him about 6 weeks with all the hoops he has to go through. And he can't renew his commercial DL without the valid green card. So every year he is out of work for about 6 weeks.

Good luck. Just be aware that you may not be able to go on your cruise.

According to this link in order to re-enter the country he would have to show a non-expired green card. Not sure if he would be denied entry if he tried to use his expired card, but I know that I wouldn't want to take that chance.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/international-travel-permanent-resident

Sounds like the OP will be sailing solo since HAL will deny her boyfriend boarding if he doesn't have documentation to re-enter the US.

The OP has just made an expensive tuition payment in the University of Life Experience.:(

Edited by BlueRiband

Thanks a bunch for those who have spotted my message and are replying. Really hoping that someone who has gone through this would articulate what they did to get through it, though, as speculation of what "might" happen can go all over the map, and we can't fly down there based on speculation. It pretty much seems up to the US Customs and Immigration to tell us right here and now what they will accept at the port, period, and HAL shouldn't argue about that, because it isn't up to them. (see below)

I've read tons of old posts online, but mostly several years old. We called US CIS (Customs and Immigration Service) 1-800-375-5283 and they agreed we'd need to go to nearest immigration office to get an I-551 stamp on passport (like an advance on the green card process for a year, but not free cuz you've already paid $450 for the renewal). That requires an appointment miles away. They don't allow walk-ins anymore. Fortunately, there were appointments on their schedule every day next week, and ones as early as Monday (today is Friday).

The CBB (Customs and Border Patrol) website contacts were useless. Their idea of phoning them is to put you into an endless loop of info, with no option to talk to anyone, and it takes 30 calls to get past the busy signal or try later messages. Sending an e-mail prompted a response of we are behind. Don't expect a response for 2 - 3 WEEKS!!! :eek: Yes, our lovely gov't at work.

As you can imagine, I nearly fell over when the US CIS Infopass website allowed us to make an appt as soon as Monday but perhaps that is because he had already paid for his renewal online and had a receipt #. (It just hasn't gotten to the fingerprinting, photographing and documentation steps.) Green cards used to have NO expiration date, but now the gov't has gotten greedy and wants $450 every ten years, not because the alien will be exported out of the country if he doesn't pay to get the card, this fee is just to renew the "card" itself. This is part of the gov't plan to entice aliens to become US citizens, as it is cheaper to become naturalized, than to remain in the country as a LPR, legal permanent alien. But for some people, who work in other countries or want to retain the right to return home one day, it makes more sense to remain an LPR.

I'll try to keep others informed here, as I go through the process. Fortunately, Travelocity allows you to cancel most paid-in-full flights booked on a Friday as late as Monday at midnight, so you don't end up with high priced, poorly connected flights. Same free cancellations with some reasonably priced hotel reservations too.

We understand that the green card has mostly to do with being allowed back into the country, even on a closed loop cruise in the Western Hemisphere. However, HAL behaved very irresponsibly in answering by simply passing the buck to Orbitz where I made the reservation. Orbitz has nothing to do with what HAL will accept on the ship or with customs potentially refusing to let him sail or potentially holding him up on return into the country. HAL is just playing games at this point, but I will be connecting with a different rep again to find out what occurs, if we are able to get that I-551 stamp on the passport.

I mean, if the problem is that he may get held up upon re-entering the country awhile, so be it, we'll take that chance .... (I've read stories from 12 hours to a day or two if they want to get mean, :mad: but this is totally unnecessary since he's been here for 50 years, has valid state driver's license, working papers, medical, etc., so plenty of paper trail to prove he belongs here, plus his expired card and valid passport.), .... but to not be forthright about whether HAL themselves will or will not allow him on the boat is total BULL! He does NOT need a green card to travel to the islands, only his passport which is valid, so why should they care? and why not just be honest? :confused:

Try going old school and calling HAL. I know that some lines don't allow booking through sites where you are not resident, but as far as sailing, his passport is sufficient, it doesn't matter where he resides, just his citizenship (unless there is a visa restriction for re-entering the US or any of the countries visited). Call HAL and explain, and I'll bet they can fill out the registration.

Yes, Yes, thank you for your suggestion and encouragement... I'm hoping you are correct, as this would make for "common sense"! It is really up to him whether he wants to take a chance getting held up at the FL port when he returns (and possibly paying a fine as it is a misdemeanor to be returning with an expired green card -- the fine would be much cheaper than losing the cruise), as he is a British citizen and yes, his passport is more than sufficient for traveling these islands.

Even if there were a VISA restriction to one of the islands, the worst they should do, is keep him on the boat at that port.

Will get back on how HAL treats this subject after I call.

Yes, Yes, thank you for your suggestion and encouragement... I'm hoping you are correct, as this would make for "common sense"! It is really up to him whether he wants to take a chance getting held up at the FL port when he returns (and possibly paying a fine as it is a misdemeanor to be returning with an expired green card -- the fine would be much cheaper than losing the cruise), as he is a British citizen and yes, his passport is more than sufficient for traveling these islands.

Even if there were a VISA restriction to one of the islands, the worst they should do, is keep him on the boat at that port.

Will get back on how HAL treats this subject after I call.

Actually, no. If there was a visa restriction at one of the islands, HAL would be held responsible, and could be fined. Whether you go ashore in a port or not, everyone onboard is cleared into and out of the country by local immigrations. This is why all cruise lines reserve the right to disallow boarding for not having the proper documentation.

And it is not up to HAL what is required to board, it is up to CBP. HAL doesn't make the rules. And HAL could be fined by the US, or in an extreme case (and I've seen it done in cases different than yours) make HAL pay to have him flown out of the country until he can get proper immigration paperwork.

However, it sounds as if you are getting the stamp for his passport, so that should be okay. You really can't blame the customer service agents at HAL, I doubt any of them are more trained in immigration law than to run down a checklist of what is acceptable. Anything out of the list is "not acceptable", whether it is correct or just that your specific circumstances have not been considered before.

Edited by chengkp75

Actually, no. If there was a visa restriction at one of the islands, HAL would be held responsible, and could be fined. Whether you go ashore in a port or not, everyone onboard is cleared into and out of the country by local immigrations. This is why all cruise lines reserve the right to disallow boarding for not having the proper documentation.

And it is not up to HAL what is required to board, it is up to CBP. HAL doesn't make the rules. And HAL could be fined by the US, or in an extreme case (and I've seen it done in cases different than yours) make HAL pay to have him flown out of the country until he can get proper immigration paperwork.

However, it sounds as if you are getting the stamp for his passport, so that should be okay. You really can't blame the customer service agents at HAL, I doubt any of them are more trained in immigration law than to run down a checklist of what is acceptable. Anything out of the list is "not acceptable", whether it is correct or just that your specific circumstances have not been considered before.

Thanks for the details of how it works, ChengKP75. I knew CBP made the rules, but it isn't transparent how they rule over the cruise line. I had secret suspicions that the cruise line may be fined for not turning down improper documentation, but could find nothing stated anywhere.

I just spoke to the HAL line 1-800-207-3545 which is reserved for helping with filling out the online check-in. The fellow I spoke to was very understanding and helpful. He was familiar with the I-551 stamp on the passport, and said that if we get that on Monday, we should be just fine.

On the other hand, if we can't get it, I should call back and we'll discuss the "Receipt #" e-mail received from US CIS when the renewal was paid for, in more detail, and they'll try to work with me on other options of getting proper documentation approval prior to embarkation. He said since all his other life's details are in order and he's been here 50 years, we could bring him in on his passport alone and then deal with questions later, and hope for the best. Still better than missing the cruise, as I had earlier posted.

I asked him to please check their records if they knew of any VISA restrictions on a British passport and he put me on hold and returned very pleased to state that there were none at the islands we're visiting at this time for Brits. So, this very much agrees with what you were stating in regards to their worrying about fines.

Of course, we will be heading to the ship and get in line at the earliest time they allow people to board, so that there is plenty of time to sort this thing out, if any doubts still there. Interesting to note, that one must be on the boat and have all their documents correct and the check-in (if not done online) completed 90 minutes prior to departure for Customs to have all the data wired to them before they can leave the port.

Another thing learned, as so many people on posts have said different things about different cruise lines when I searched, is that HAL does not keep customers passports or green cards, unless the islands require a VISA from that person.

He was very disappointed that the earlier representative tried to pass off blame to Orbitz, telling us to call them, as that wasn't helpful toward moving forward with anything! He believed she wasn't trained very well at how to resolve a situation and only looked at the problem being a problem. He looked at his job as meeting the customer's needs, whether that be helping him/her to have his proper documentation, or any other need like buying excursions. He was wise, because losing us both, would in the end lose the cruiseline all those extra's that get purchased along the way. I really liked this guy!! He had compassion, was calm, and had a brain in his head! :p

He documented everything, so that if I need to call with further issues, the next agent can pick up where he left off.

I must mention that Orbitz's confirmation e-mail was terribly amiss with asking customers only to check with the US citizen site for proper passport papers!! They gave no links or even hinted at what a LPR (Lawful or legal permanent resident), or other alien category would need to check into.

If Cruiselines are fined, as the airlines do when they bring a PAX to the USA without proper papers, he will not be allowed on board.

This link may be more helpful that opinions of CC members

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/list/search/1/kw/entering%20without%20green%20card/suggested/1

Edited by The Viking

Thanks a bunch for those who have spotted my message and are replying. Really hoping that someone who has gone through this would articulate what they did to get through it, though, as speculation of what "might" happen can go all over the map, and we can't fly down there based on speculation. It pretty much seems up to the US Customs and Immigration to tell us right here and now what they will accept at the port, period, and HAL shouldn't argue about that, because it isn't up to them. (see below)

I've read tons of old posts online, but mostly several years old. We called US CIS (Customs and Immigration Service) 1-800-375-5283 and they agreed we'd need to go to nearest immigration office to get an I-551 stamp on passport (like an advance on the green card process for a year, but not free cuz you've already paid $450 for the renewal). That requires an appointment miles away. They don't allow walk-ins anymore. Fortunately, there were appointments on their schedule every day next week, and ones as early as Monday (today is Friday).

The CBB (Customs and Border Patrol) website contacts were useless. Their idea of phoning them is to put you into an endless loop of info, with no option to talk to anyone, and it takes 30 calls to get past the busy signal or try later messages. Sending an e-mail prompted a response of we are behind. Don't expect a response for 2 - 3 WEEKS!!! :eek: Yes, our lovely gov't at work.

As you can imagine, I nearly fell over when the US CIS Infopass website allowed us to make an appt as soon as Monday but perhaps that is because he had already paid for his renewal online and had a receipt #. (It just hasn't gotten to the fingerprinting, photographing and documentation steps.) Green cards used to have NO expiration date, but now the gov't has gotten greedy and wants $450 every ten years, not because the alien will be exported out of the country if he doesn't pay to get the card, this fee is just to renew the "card" itself. This is part of the gov't plan to entice aliens to become US citizens, as it is cheaper to become naturalized, than to remain in the country as a LPR, legal permanent alien. But for some people, who work in other countries or want to retain the right to return home one day, it makes more sense to remain an LPR.

Not true. Becoming a US citizen does not affect your citizenship of other countries.

I'll try to keep others informed here, as I go through the process. Fortunately, Travelocity allows you to cancel most paid-in-full flights booked on a Friday as late as Monday at midnight, so you don't end up with high priced, poorly connected flights. Same free cancellations with some reasonably priced hotel reservations too.

We understand that the green card has mostly to do with being allowed back into the country, even on a closed loop cruise in the Western Hemisphere. However, HAL behaved very irresponsibly in answering by simply passing the buck to Orbitz where I made the reservation. You did not make a reservation with HAL. You made a reservation with Orbitz. Cruise lines will not talk to you about reservations made through a travel agency. You have to go through the travel agent. Orbitz has nothing to do with what HAL will accept on the ship or with customs potentially refusing to let him sail or potentially holding him up on return into the country. HAL is just playing games at this point, but I will be connecting with a different rep again to find out what occurs, if we are able to get that I-551 stamp on the passport.Your friend is responsible for making sure his papers are in order, not HAL and not Orbitz.

I mean, if the problem is that he may get held up upon re-entering the country awhile, so be it, we'll take that chance .... (I've read stories from 12 hours to a day or two if they want to get mean, :mad: but this is totally unnecessary since he's been here for 50 years, has valid state driver's license, working papers, medical, etc., so plenty of paper trail to prove he belongs here, plus his expired card and valid passport.), .... but to not be forthright about whether HAL themselves will or will not allow him on the boat is total BULL! He does NOT need a green card to travel to the islands, only his passport which is valid, so why should they care? and why not just be honest? :confused:

The cruise line would be fined if he did not have the proper documentation to re-enter the US. It doesn't matter what any rep on the phone told you - what matters is if he has sufficient documentation to travel to the countries on the itinerary and to return to the US to satisfy CIS when he tries to board.

After 50 years, he doesn't have citizenship?? Speaking as someone who used to have a green card, he really should have obtained citizenship a long time ago.

• 1 year later...

Normally i dont write reviews but i just want to share my recent experience going on a cruise with an expired green card. I went on a cruise to Bermuda on 11/28/16 with my girlfriend. i am a green card holder with Chinese passport and my girl friend is an u.s citizen. A month before the cruise i realized my green card was expired and it has being for half a year already. Google results told me to apply for a green card extension or a stamp. I tried to apply but the waiting was too long and my cruise was in a month so i had insufficient time to get the documents that i need for a safe return. The only thing I can do was to renew my green card and at that time I believe i paid $350. After you apply for the green card you will receive an email with your green card number, your name and the receipt saying that your renewal is under review. Long story short I went to the cruise anyway with my valid chinese passport, expired green card and a paper saying that i renewed my green card. You need these documents to get through two check point. First is the checkin on your first day of the cruise with the cruiseline workers at port. Yes, i did get stopped and they had a supervisor come and look at the situation. After a few minutes the the cruise line worker came back and said welcome aboard. (that was the easy part) Second will be coming back to port and you have to go through customs. First I shown him my passport and green card, he realized that i had an expired green card so he proceed to look through my passport for an stomp which i didnt have. Even before he said a word I slip in the renewal paper and said I have already applied for a renewal and he let us pass through. worst case scenario will be a few hours of being detained at the port, pay a few hundred dollar in fines. being with someone with a u.s passport might have helped. my trip was to bermuda for 5 days, deported from nj.

Edited by cheboii

Despite the fact this thread is almost 2 years old - there are many different types of Green Cards even for people from the same country. The only definitive answer is to contact Immigration regarding your personal situation. You can have 10 people from Canada standing side by side and each case might be handled differently.

Normally i dont write reviews but i just want to share my recent experience going on a cruise with an expired green card. I went on a cruise to Bermuda on 11/28/16 with my girlfriend. i am a green card holder with Chinese passport and my girl friend is an u.s citizen. A month before the cruise i realized my green card was expired and it has being for half a year already. Google results told me to apply for a green card extension or a stamp. I tried to apply but the waiting was too long and my cruise was in a month so i had insufficient time to get the documents that i need for a safe return. The only thing I can do was to renew my green card and at that time I believe i paid $350. After you apply for the green card you will receive an email with your green card number, your name and the receipt saying that your renewal is under review. Long story short I went to the cruise anyway with my valid chinese passport, expired green card and a paper saying that i renewed my green card. You need these documents to get through two check point. First is the checkin on your first day of the cruise with the cruiseline workers at port. Yes, i did get stopped and they had a supervisor come and look at the situation. After a few minutes the the cruise line worker came back and said welcome aboard. (that was the easy part) Second will be coming back to port and you have to go through customs. First I shown him my passport and green card, he realized that i had an expired green card so he proceed to look through my passport for an stomp which i didnt have. Even before he said a word I slip in the renewal paper and said I have already applied for a renewal and he let us pass through. worst case scenario will be a few hours of being detained at the port, pay a few hundred dollar in fines. being with someone with a u.s passport might have helped. my trip was to bermuda for 5 days, deported from nj.

I am having the same issue with my boyfriend who has an expired US permanent resident card and a valid South Korean passport. He did apply to have it renewed as well as citizenship very recently and we just realized this would be an issue.

Which cruise line did you sail with? He does have the receipt but I'm still very nervous and this is encouraging. Did you have any other forms of ID like a driver's license or something?

Edited by hwola

The cruise line would be fined if he did not have the proper documentation to re-enter the US. It doesn't matter what any rep on the phone told you - what matters is if he has sufficient documentation to travel to the countries on the itinerary and to return to the US to satisfy CIS when he tries to board.

After 50 years, he doesn't have citizenship?? Speaking as someone who used to have a green card, he really should have obtained citizenship a long time ago.

In the terminal while we are checking in, there are CBP officials fesent who will approve or didsapprove the travel documents if the check in workers are not fully sure what we present is sufficient . The cruise check in wokers will consultt with CBP Pbefore theypermit boarding by someone with documents they think could be inadequate. if CBP accepts the documents, the cruise line is free of worryin g about a fine when they bring ythat guest back to port.

Edited by sail7seas