Silversea all inclusive

Capri73

Just returned from a Regent cruise of the Caribbean and eschewed each and every one of the included excursions. So not a fan of this extension of inclusive. Sorry to learn Silversea has capitulated. Especially since we sail on Whisper in November bound for the Amazon, in and out of Barbados.

Edited by OctoberKat

Just received my new Conde Nast Travel magazine.Silversea is now going all inclusive including all side tours.

What will SB do now do to compete?

Your statement is not accurate. Only a small number of "select" tours will be included on Silversea Mediterranean cruises - mostly of the drive-by/overview variety. Anything in-depth is extra.

Edited by johnnycruise

Your statement is not accurate. Only a small number of "select" tours will be included on Silversea Mediterranean cruises - mostly of the drive-by/overview variety. Anything in-depth is extra.

That sounds a lot like Regent. I wonder if Silversea will give you a credit towards the more expensive tours or if it will knock their prices down a bit.

Let's all pray and hope that SB does NOTHING to compete with this stupid plan. These included shore excursions are not free. They are raising the fares so that you are paying for them whether you want to take them or not. PLUS only the cheapest, most basic excursions are included. Anything good costs extra. Obviously SS is testing this Regent system in the Med before rolling it out fleet wide.

Let's all pray and hope that SB does NOTHING to compete with this stupid plan. These included shore excursions are not free. They are raising the fares so that you are paying for them whether you want to take them or not. PLUS only the cheapest, most basic excursions are included. Anything good costs extra. Obviously SS is testing this Regent system in the Med before rolling it out fleet wide.

I agree, as usual. We laugh when we get the Regent mailers with "Free Business Class Air, Free excursions, Free Wi-Fi", etc. Then look at the "Book Now" rates. Does anyone actually believe in that "Free" stuff? Well, besides just about every government in the world.:eek::D

Agree completely

There are many suckers that fall for this stuff.

It seems to me that through these gimicks Regent and now Silversea are looking for a new demographic for additional clientele. Not content with offering a clear picture of what they offer in terms of value, they decide to muddy the package with "free" stuff while raising prices for everyone who wants the "benefits" or not at the new price. This is cynical, at least as far as their knowledgable current customers are concerned.

The goal is more dopey and witless new passengers, while taking for granted that the originals won't leave, notice or care. Beats me how their management looks themselves in the mirror each morning before heading off to approve and then implement such a strategy and promote the nonsense.

Happy sailing on Seabourn!

Any cruise line that compels us to pay for included excursions is not a contender for us. We only do small private excursions. We are regular Oceania cruisers looking forward our first seabourn cruise this October.

We are glad the dress code has been slightly relaxed. We would hate to see included excursions

In my view, excursions which are included in the price only really work with the smaller expedition ships which visit places with little or no tourist infrastructure. If you land in, say, Antigua, St Lucia or a city like Mumbai you have a number of decent options. Not so if you land on Pitcairn or Tristan da Cunha or a tiny village in the Solomon Islands.

It seems to me that through these gimicks Regent and now Silversea are looking for a new demographic for additional clientele. Not content with offering a clear picture of what they offer in terms of value, they decide to muddy the package with "free" stuff while raising prices for everyone who wants the "benefits" or not at the new price. This is cynical, at least as far as their knowledgable current customers are concerned.

The goal is more dopey and witless new passengers, while taking for granted that the originals won't leave, notice or care. Beats me how their management looks themselves in the mirror each morning before heading off to approve and then implement such a strategy and promote the nonsense.

Happy sailing on Seabourn!

Well said!!!

I thought SilverSea's offer was really driven by the entry of Viking Ocean vs Regent. By all account SS was holding it's own against Regent, but VO was posing a challenge due to the comparable pricing.

If all the other super-lux go excursion inclusive in the med, I think SB will have a challenge not matching.

I agree with the sentiment here though, the included excursions were not ones we wanted to go on when we we've gone Regent.

If all the other super-lux go excursion inclusive in the med, I think SB will have a challenge not matching.

All anyone, especially Seabourn marketing, has to do is compare the fares for those cruises with included excursions to theirs and people can see the difference. And only those who truly believe they are getting two for one fares from any cruise line will fall for this misleading marketing ploy.

I do hope SB would not fall for this one - if they can keep their prices lower than the others, and perhaps have a marketing ploy suggesting that although they of course provide excursions for those who want them, many of their discerning clientele like to make their own arrangements, and like to have the choice. Ditto air and transfers - we do usually use theirs, out of laziness and lack of airmiles, and find them to be very efficiently run. But many people prefer to make their own arrangements. I notice that many of the devoted Regent fans do not like having the excursions foisted on them.

It might work for a few newcomers for a while, but only really the somewhat 'dopey and witless' would really like it. I am sure SB PR people could come up with suitable wording for adverts - or have any of you discerning people any ideas for them - hoping management read this.

If I may summarize the general sentiment expressed in this thread:

Only someone hopelessly naive, dopey and witless would fall for such an obvious marketing ploy. Cruise line organized excursions are inferior to what I can plan on my own and the new breed of "free" excursions will be even worse than the current offerings. These excursions will be included in the price, making my cruise experience more expensive, especially since I don't plan on participating.

I don't disagree with the general sentiment. What I am struggling with is how most of you wholeheartedly embrace certain aspects of an all-inclusive vacation, but are up in arms about one more thing (excursions) being diluted by an all-inclusive experience. My own experience has shown me that all-inclusive vacations do not have the same quality as a la carte pricing. More to the point, I can choose to spend my money on things that are important to me.

The included wines on Seabourn were abysmal. The food was not as good as what I am used to when I dine out. Etc, etc. Is the convenience of not having to sign for purchases worth suffering through a vacation with lower quality items? Not for me. And things have only become worse as more of the cruise industry has shifted towards an "all-inclusive" experience.

I find this whole thread laughably ironic.

Edited by sananda

If I may summarize the general sentiment expressed in this thread:

Only someone hopelessly naive, dopey and witless would fall for such an obvious marketing ploy. Cruise line organized excursions are inferior to what I can plan on my own and the new breed of "free" excursions will be even worse than the current offerings. These excursions will be included in the price, making my cruise experience more expensive, especially since I don't plan on participating.

I don't disagree with the general sentiment. What I am struggling with is how most of you wholeheartedly embrace certain aspects of an all-inclusive vacation, but are up in arms about one more thing (excursions) being diluted by an all-inclusive experience. My own experience has shown me that all-inclusive vacations do not have the same quality as a la carte pricing. More to the point, I can choose to spend my money on things that are important to me.

The included wines on Seabourn were abysmal. The food was not as good as what I am used to when I dine out. Etc, etc. Is the convenience of not having to sign for purchases worth suffering through a vacation with lower quality items? Not for me. And things have only become worse as more of the cruise industry has shifted towards an "all-inclusive" experience.

I find this whole thread laughably ironic.

Cool story. Perhaps next time you can compare apples to apples, er cruises to cruises rather than cruises versus land based things.

We are on Sojourn now en route to Halong Bay having left Da Nang yesterday.

The weather since our start in Singapore 24 days ago has always been glorious,

the food excellent, the bar service attentive, and the suite immaculate.

About tours and the like, yesterday we took a taxi to Hoi An for a few hours and tomorrow have arranged a day in Hanoi having familiarised ourselves with the Seabourn options and our friends' and our preferences. We have choices and among us know the region very well. So no compulsion to do anything programmatical.

Upon our return to the ship we showered, had a couple of libations with our circle by the Patio Bar and then before sailing headed down to 5 deck to experience one of my favoriite events of Seabourn: the shore side welcome back party- a receiving line of maybe 50 staff and officers, the 5 piece band and singer, the red carpet, the dancing and signing and that "Welcome Home to Seabourn Sojourn" 4 meter banner held proudly by our wait staff, stewardesses, and officers- all friends. That's the way to accommodate the final couple of tour buses, hand them hors d'oeuvres and drinks, and then ultimately depart. Remember we were at the Da Nang container port and had just spent 3 hours at a UNESCO World Heritage site. What a show put on for us- pure joy, and something special, special, special! Who WHO can compete with Seabourn on land or sea?

Seabourn has it right with its terrific hospitality and warm personnel. No tomfoolery, smoke, mirrors or wannabe parallels which would degrade the brand. I hope Seattle simply ignores this latest ploy by its (ahem) competitors.

Happy sailing!

Mr L,

No, I hanen't benn to R2 but I have heard it's very popular with its fine food and service under maitre d' Rossi.

Hope all is well!

Yes thank you,a balmy ten degrees in London today and sunshine.

Will have to make sure that the wine is properly chilled this evening.

I am slowly learning to shop for the "all-inclusive" items that I like (gratuities, internet, wine/alcohol) and to avoid the items I don't want included, such as all-passenger excursions and special on-shore events. It may be impossible to find a menu of included items perfectly groomed for me. I recognize that one may get the best buy while doing everything al a carte, but on the lines where this happens, it seems as though everything is for sale, all day long. And that does not appeal to me at all, sort of like taking a vacation at a shopping mall. So the challenge becomes to find what works best for you. Happily one can learn a thing or two from this forum. I'll add my name to those who hope Seabourn does not add a bunch of "all-inclusive" excursions to their menu. And, Markham, isn't Rossi a great guy? Maitre d'? I think that would be a promotion, well-earned.