New Cruisers! RCCL FOS?

ClaireandHollie

hi there

I wonder if you can help. We're booked to go on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas in August 2nd. Western route.

We've never cruised before and so excited. We're 3 adults (mum, dad and daughter of 27)

Can anyone tell us what FOS is like? Ie food, entertainment?

Also can someone tell us when online check in opens and if we need to book shows in advance?

When we booked we got a pay for 2 get 3rd adult half price. This offer is still coming out cheaper thank the current all inclusive drinks offer but does anyone if RC has offers on to buy the drinks package at a lower rate?

Many thanks

Claire

Only on Allure/Oasis do you book shows in advance. On your ship, the shows are scheduled around the 2 traditional seating times...Early (main) seating goes to the AFTER DINNER shows..Late seating goes BEFORE dinner. If you have My Time Dining....you pick the show you want to see and eat accordingly.

No..the drink packages will not drop in price. You will need to drink about 7 drinks per person daily to make the packages "pay" for themselves.

Included in your fare will be: ice water, coffee, tea (hot or iced), lemonade or flavored water, milk and juice with breakfast. Soda can be purchased by the can, if you don't have the soda package....

Food is ok,..you won't go hungry...some love it, some hate it...but it's plentiful and you don't have to cook it....so....

Online checkin is usually avail. after the final payment date.

Freedom is an excellent cruise. Royal Caribbean is upping their entertainment on Freedom by removing the standard 45 minute cruise line show that includes people just singing and dancing. Instead, the main attraction will now be a 90 minute production of Hairspray, which is every bit as good as on Broadway. You'll be on your feet dancing at the end. Plus, the ice show is excellent. Do not miss it.

I'm not sure if they are going to require reservations with the new show but if they do, it'll open about 90 before sailing.

hi there

I wonder if you can help. We're booked to go on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas in August 2nd. Western route.

We've never cruised before and so excited. We're 3 adults (mum, dad and daughter of 27)

Also can someone tell us when online check in opens and if we need to book shows in advance?

When we booked we got a pay for 2 get 3rd adult half price. This offer is still coming out cheaper thank the current all inclusive drinks offer but does anyone if RC has offers on to buy the drinks package at a lower rate?

Many thanks

Claire

Very nice ship. Has lots of things to do for all ages of people. Not usually if they are offering the drinks package now. Take it. On line check in will be about 90 days out to do all your paper work.

Shows no. they have them at different times to go along with the dining room times.

Claire,

You can book the Ice Show on line, but I am not sure how close to your sailing it becomes available. It is very popular and may not be available if you wait to book the show once on board.

Enjoy your cruise.

Craig

hi there

Many thanks

Claire

Here is a link to my review of the Freedom of the Seas from 2007. There is a link to my review in post number one, and there is a link to the pictures in post number 24.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=587934

I'll be on the ship again in April and will do another review and I'll take more pictures. The ship went through a major dry dock in January and there have been some changed since my last cruise on the Freedom OTS.

My cruise in 2007 was the western route. However, there has been a couple of changes. Labadee now has a dock and the ship now goes to Falmouth rather than Ocho Rios. If you want to read about my trip to Falmouth, go to post number 68 in the following review of the Navigator of the Seas ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810031

Edited by Cuizer2

hi there

Many thanks

Claire

Claire: Congrats on your first cruise! And you picked a dandy...the FOS is wonderful...I'm both a cruise agent & frequent cruiser ( 30 cruises, 13 on RCI)..don 't miss on the FOS:

1) Ice- skating shows in Studio B, decks 3 & 4

2) Sitting in the canti-levered hot tubs in the adult Solarium on a SEA DAY ( not in port) deck 11..these hot tubs stick out over the side of the ship & have great views of the Caribbean!

3) Retro 70's Disco night in the Royal Promenade- great 70's dance music..lots of fun..

4) For a special night of dining ( and if you like meats, seafood, etc..) , go to CHOPS, a specialty dining venue which is $35 pp..you get a 5 course meal ( all you eat) with a table by the window over looking the sea..very romantic, dine with 100 people ( not 1500) ,low lights, soft music, great atmosphere..you can book this 90 days before sailing..

5) For piano stuff, trivia, etc., go to the Schooner Bar on deck 4

6) For a nice after dinner drink or experience, try the Viking Crown Lounge, deck 14..great views during the day..

7) For the adventurous, try the Flowrider, a surf simulator experience ( try lying on the board on your stomach, much easier than standing, LOL..)

8) The Royal Promenade on deck 5 is the heart of the ship..try a pint in the British Pub called The Bull & Bear and they have a singer in there who does lots of 60's 70's & 80's music..you can sit inside or outside on the Promenade & do people watching..great fun..OR try Vintages Wine Bar if you are wine drinkers..for food, Sorrento's has free pizza & The Cafe Promenade

has free croissant finger sandwiches ( yummy) & cookies..both places are great for snacks

9) Don't miss Hairspray- it was fantastic! Great music, singing & dancing!

10) If you like Latin music, go to Boleros on deck 4..live band & great fun...

Any questions, let me know- lots of us here know the FOS...don't forget having breakfast on your balcony on a SEA day- it's free & spectacular scenery!!

Big Al

Wow you guys have been so helpful. Thank you so much! I've printed all of your ideas and packed it with our "holiday folder" so we can take it with us!

We've decided to book with royal Caribbean direct for the Jamaica trip and going for the caves then onto dunes river falls. I think we have to experience it as it's not everyday we'll be lucky to go on this type of holiday....once in a lifetime and all that but I'm getting the feeling I'm going to get hooked on cruising.

Would you advise to book the trip with RCC sooner rather than later? It's only just became available to book as cruising isn't until 2nd August so would we be safe to hold off till April time?

Many thanks

Wow you guys have been so helpful. Thank you so much! I've printed all of your ideas and packed it with our "holiday folder" so we can take it with us!

We've decided to book with royal Caribbean direct for the Jamaica trip and going for the caves then onto dunes river falls. I think we have to experience it as it's not everyday we'll be lucky to go on this type of holiday....once in a lifetime and all that but I'm getting the feeling I'm going to get hooked on cruising.

Would you advise to book the trip with RCC sooner rather than later? It's only just became available to book as cruising isn't until 2nd August so would we be safe to hold off till April time?

Many thanks

Popular tours can sell out. Waiting for April should be okay.