Sailing out of NY in Jan

maudde

i need some help and opinions of those who have sailed from the east coast during winter. I have always sailed from Fl or San Juan. I understand sailing from east coast, there are 2 sea days and coming back, there are 3 sea days. We enjoy sea days when we can lay by the pool and enjoy the ship. My question is in Jan, are these sea days going to be cold where you can't enjoy it out on deck? I didn't know how long it takes for the ship to be in warmer weather. I anticipate that sail away will no doubt be cold, but was curious if it was cold the time it takes to get down the east coast. With 5 sea days, I don't want to spend them inside sailing to and from the Caribbean. Thank you for your help.

We have sailed out of NJ/NY every Jan for the past 10 Yrs. We find the weather can vary on the first full sea day and the last full sea day. It has never been warm enough to sit on the deck, unless you have coat, hat and gloves on. We don't care because we use these days to unwind and relax and enjoy what the ship has to offer. Others want to have sun and warm weather starting on the first day. So you need to decide what you want.

We just sailed 2/13-2/20/15...some of the coldest weather this winter. We didn't reach warm enough weather until we reached Florida and then returning the ride past Cape Hatteras (Outer Banks) was rocking and rolling. The last day the entire outside decks were closed off to passengers (safety). Of the 7 days, we probably were blocked out of the outside decks 1.5 days and of the 7 days, we had 3 days that were warm weather.

However, this is our second year sailing from NJ in Feb/March so we know what we are up against and planned accordingly. We spent a good deal of time in the Solarium with our kindles and iPods. If you are going on a Quantum Class ship, there will be plenty of things to do inside the ship, but figure you will definately lose 2-3 days of good exterior weather on a sailing that time of year.

We just sailed 2/13-2/20/15...some of the coldest weather this winter. We didn't reach warm enough weather until we reached Florida and then returning the ride past Cape Hatteras (Outer Banks) was rocking and rolling. The last day the entire outside decks were closed off to passengers (safety). Of the 7 days, we probably were blocked out of the outside decks 1.5 days and of the 7 days, we had 3 days that were warm weather.

However, this is our second year sailing from NJ in Feb/March so we know what we are up against and planned accordingly. We spent a good deal of time in the Solarium with our kindles and iPods. If you are going on a Quantum Class ship, there will be plenty of things to do inside the ship, but figure you will definately lose 2-3 days of good exterior weather on a sailing that time of year.

^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^

If its Quantum and haven't been on it before would give you some days to explore her-if you are already a vet of the Quantum it may mean hunkerin g down in the Solarium which is quite nice all the time.

If it is a Quantum class ship, there is the indoor solarium AND indoor pool for those cold days. I found it very relaxing and with all the windows, it did not feel like being stuck inside. Also, 270 in the back is huge and a really relaxing space with huge windows. Don't forget the indoor seaplex. Basically, it was built for cold weather so we did not feel cooped up on those cold days.

I wouldn't worry too much, by the time you finish shoveling off the pool deck you should be pretty warmed up. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the laugh!:D New activity - Snow man building contest!

Edited by cruisegirl1

Thanks everyone. The cruise is on Anthem and sailing out of NJ. From your responses, it will be cold out for the sea days, but the ship has a lot to offer indoors. One just has to made a personal decision as to what makes a sea day fun for themselves. Your replys have certainly answered my question and will help with making a decision. Thanks!

i need some help and opinions of those who have sailed from the east coast during winter...
I have to assume that if you are considering a COLD overpriced cruise, you must REALLY want to sail Anthem. IMO (you asked for opinions) go to Florida and get a warm cruise at a much better price.

Thom

I have to assume that if you are considering a COLD overpriced cruise, you must REALLY want to sail Anthem. IMO (you asked for opinions) go to Florida and get a warm cruise at a much better price.

Thom

I have friends sailing on this cruise. I was just curious as I've never sailed out of any port on the East Coast. Thank you for your response.

I have friends sailing on this cruise. I was just curious as I've never sailed out of any port on the East Coast. Thank you for your response.

IF, I lived within driving distance of the port, I MIGHT consider sailing out of the NY/NJ area, in the winter. If, I have to fly, I'm sailing out of Florida. There's too much risk the weather in the NE will be bad and the ship will sail without you. Look at this winter and it's not over yet. Not worth the chance.

We sailed on the Quantum Transatlantic and docked in Bayonne on Nov. 9th. I personally would not sail in or out of the Northeast after Dec. 1st. JMHO.

. I personally would not sail in or out of the Northeast after Dec. 1st. JMHO.

A good opinion too! Having formerly lived up there for decades, I know what it can be like, and it just doesn't get warmer after one day at sea. Fly to Florida or San Juan and get to the heat fast! I was in Miami today, and we were "freezing" at 75 degrees. :D

Now, if you're departing on the Cunard world cruise for 100 days or so, that's a different story.;)

I wouldn't worry too much, by the time you finish shoveling off the pool deck you should be pretty warmed up. :D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you think I'll end up in the naughty room if I try to bring my snowblower?

I can't seem to go anywhere without it these days....:D