Please help with tipping etiquette

So just to be clear, and I'm not trying to be condescending, just learning something new here, the people that take care of our cabins are not paid anything except the tips we give them? I just didn't know that. I assumed it was like a hotel and the cost of the room included having it cleaned.

So, if cabin stewards are optional could we opt out of having one and not have to pay? Not that I'd want to do that, just curious.

And, if what you are saying is true, and it likely could be, then it really never was a "tip" and it's always been a service fee. I always thought I was paying for good service.

The cruise lines have totally perverted the idea of rewarding for great service. I really think they have made it way more confusing that it has to be. Why not just charge enough to pay the people what they should get and let customers pay them extra when/if they want to?

Thanks for the clarification.

Tom

Just realized that I forgot to address your last question. Cabins are priced according to their location on the ship and any amenities it may have over a basic cabin, e.g., larger size, window, veranda, etc. It has nothing to do with the cabin steward servicing that room. (Although passengers in suites are expected to tip a little more and the automatic charge reflects that.)

This is kind of off topic, but I have the same feelings about going into a cheap restaurant (like a diner). For example, if we go to a diner and breakfast is $10 I still tip $4 because the waiter does as much work as the one where I would pay $20. I figure just because the food is cheaper it doesn't mean the service is less worthy.

Tom

Me too! And as a waitress at Bob's Big Boy back in the day, I thank you.

Ill never forget living on tips as a young mother. Being good at what I did was crucial to our survival.

I agree that would be awesome and save alot of confusion!

Isn't that pretty much what they've done by going to the automatic $12/pp per day system? How much simpler could it be? The only other thing they could do would be not to break it out and "hide" it in the overall cost. But that could have other repercussions that could cost the employees money because then, for example, it might become subject to the commission paid to travel agents.

So just to be clear, and I'm not trying to be condescending, just learning something new here, the people that take care of our cabins are not paid anything except the tips we give them? I just didn't know that. I assumed it was like a hotel and the cost of the room included having it cleaned.

So, if cabin stewards are optional could we opt out of having one and not have to pay? Not that I'd want to do that, just curious.

And, if what you are saying is true, and it likely could be, then it really never was a "tip" and it's always been a service fee. I always thought I was paying for good service.

The cruise lines have totally perverted the idea of rewarding for great service. I really think they have made it way more confusing that it has to be. Why not just charge enough to pay the people what they should get and let customers pay them extra when/if they want to?

Thanks for the clarification.

Tom

They receive a nominal monthly stipend. As for just paying them a regular salary, I suppose you could say the same thing about restaurant s in the U.S. That is just the accepted culture.

With regard to your question about opting out of receiving cabin service: no, you can't do that. You can, however, opt out of paying (tipping) them for the service that they do perform, but I would hope that you wouldn't even consider that option.

By the way, you mentioned hotels and housekeeping; are you aware that you should be tipping them as well? Many people who may only stay in hotels once or twice a year on vacations may not be aware of that protocol, but those of us who travel (or traveled) for business have been aware of this and doing it for quite some time. As I mentioned in an earlier post, just as you would routinely tip the valet runner or a bellman, you should also be tipping housekeeping.

I have seen various comments about speciality dining and tips. I always wonder. Does any of the money we pay for the specialty dining go to the wait staff? We have asked a few times to the wait staff and they have all said no except one waiter told us they get a portion

Does anyone know for sure?

Me too! And as a waitress at Bob's Big Boy back in the day, I thank you.

Ill never forget living on tips as a young mother. Being good at what I did was crucial to our survival.

Oh man what I wouldn't give for one of those old School "Big Boys"!!!! Sorry to post off topic ;)

Tom

And, who is going to clean your room at the end of the cruise? Are you going to do that? Are you going to stay aboard until the room has been inspected for proper cleaning? Are you willing to stay aboard and correct any deficiencies in your cleaning? Are you willing to pay a penalty for failing to clean the room properly?

Why not just pay the gratuity?

I do just pay the gratuity. It's not a big deal. Just a friendly conversation. I think the system is confusing. It looks like others agree. That doesn't mean I don't play the game. I just think it's a stupid game. As you imply, if I want to cruise I don't have much choice. But, it's fun to discuss. I keep hoping some day it will make sense. Alas...

I think it's interesting how many people don't care what they are paying for and seem to be perturbed if anyone wants to discuss or understand it.

Tom

And, who is going to clean your room at the end of the cruise? Are you going to do that? Are you going to stay aboard until the room has been inspected for proper cleaning? Are you willing to stay aboard and correct any deficiencies in your cleaning? Are you willing to pay a penalty for failing to clean the room properly?

Why not just pay the gratuity?

I do just pay the gratuity. It's not a big deal. Just a friendly conversation. I think the system is confusing. It looks like others agree. That doesn't mean I don't play the game. I just think it's a stupid game. As you imply, if I want to cruise I don't have much choice. But, it's fun to discuss. I keep hoping some day it will make sense. Alas...

I think it's interesting how many people don't care what they are paying for and seem to be perturbed if anyone wants to discuss or understand it.

Tom

It's not confusing at all. It is very straightforward. Some people want to analyze it to the nth degree and know exactly how much each employee makes from salary and tips. But the process itself is very simple; there is a standard gratuity charge that takes care of your service staff.

Tom

There's really not a lot to understand. The cruise lines only have three choices if they wish to do away with gratuities. They can reduce profits. They can raise fares. Or, they can lower product quality.

Many of the comments on this and other threads discussing gratuities seem to come down to a view that the cruise lines are ripping off their customers by forcing them to subsidize the wages of their staff through the gratuity system instead of reducing their outrageously high profit margins in order to raise the pay of their hardworking staff. Some do try to cloak this view inside the rhetoric of 'fairness', but they're really only trying to get into someone else's wallet by making some one else pay for their choices.

Just learned another person to be tipped; the cleaning personnel at hotels.

Never occured to me that we are expected to tip them when staying at a US hotel.

We have tipped earlier if we have been staying for longer than just one night. Like for 5 days or even two weeks at the same place. But then we have usually also seen the person working there.

Is this consensus that we always should leave something into the room, even with just one night stay? And just how much is proper?

It is going to be four nights and four hotels for us in April...

Cleaning personnel?? Do you mean the housekeeping staff? We leave a $5 if we are there more than one nite, and if there several will leave $20.

Tipping hotel Housekeeping staff is not an absolute at least this NorthWest girl does not see it that way.

If I have my grandkids with me I always Tip and have the little people write notes apologizing for the extra work. It is good for them to know others work hard for a living and that they need to pick up after themselves. :)

Just learned another person to be tipped; the cleaning personnel at hotels.

Never occured to me that we are expected to tip them when staying at a US hotel.

I don't tip for one night stands. I've traveled a ton for my work, and I only encountered that once. About 1977, stayed at a hotel in Maryland where there was a note in the room about tipping the housecleaning staff.

Lol, yes housekeeping! Sorry, English is not even the second language in my books.

Lol :) tipping in hotels is not expected at all! On occasion my DH and I will leave a little something.

IMHO it's cruising where it is absolutely expected.... And in sit down restaurants.

Have a great time and don't worry to much about tipping... Do the best you can!

I don't tip for one night stands. I've traveled a ton for my work, and I only encountered that once. About 1977, stayed at a hotel in Maryland where there was a note in the room about tipping the housecleaning staff.

I think tipping in that case would be considered an illegal activity;)

Edited by The Sunset Glow

Lol :) tipping in hotels is not expected at all! On occasion my DH and I will leave a little something.

IMHO it's cruising where it is absolutely expected.... And in sit down restaurants.

Have a great time and don't worry to much about tipping... Do the best you can!

I don't want to get too off topic, but yes, tipping housekeeping is (or should be) as routine as tipping the valet or bellmen. Before writing another lol, you might want to research the issue a little. I admit that it is not as well known a practice as is tipping bellmen, but I can assure you that it is a standard practice, especially at full service hotels. It's something that I and many other business travelers have known about and have been doing for decades.

I don't want to get too off topic, but yes, tipping housekeeping is (or should be) as routine as tipping the valet or bellmen. Before writing another lol, you might want to research the issue a little. I admit that it is not as well known a practice as is tipping bellmen, but I can assure you that it is a standard practice, especially at full service hotels. It's something that I and many other business travelers have known about and have been doing for decades.

I suspect that depends upon the area and whether it is a full service hotel. A minor point, you said it is "routine" and "not well know". I wonder how something can be both "routine" and "not as well known".

We'll be cruising with grandkids for the first time, and I've been assuming that we'll be paying the daily gratuity for each of them also. However, I recently read a post (on another cruise forum) that suggested that children don't count when computing tips. That doesn't seem likely. Can anyone clear that up for me?