cagneys or moderno with a vegetarian

Jofishes

just looking for opinions

we're a family of four and looking for info on eating at Cagneys or Moderno with one of us being a vegetarian (and allergic to dairy)

the blurb for Moderno says best salad bar on the ship :) and my husband would love a decent steak

we'd like to eat as a family but not sure if my daughter could be accommodated

anyone any experience they can share that would be helpful ~ thanks in advance

I would go with Cagney's since there are allot more vegetable side dishes to choose from. Also, if your daughter does eat fish (I know some vegetarians who do), then she would be able to get fish in Cagney's.

Also, consider talking to the F&B director or the Cagney's Matre'D ahead of time. At lunch in Cagney's they have a procinni mushroom pasta. Maybe the would be willing to offer that to your daughter for dinner. Never hurts to ask :)

I would go with Cagney's since there are allot more vegetable side dishes to choose from. Also, if your daughter does eat fish (I know some vegetarians who do), then she would be able to get fish in Cagney's.

Also, consider talking to the F&B director or the Cagney's Matre'D ahead of time. At lunch in Cagney's they have a procinni mushroom pasta. Maybe the would be willing to offer that to your daughter for dinner. Never hurts to ask :)

Epic doesn't have lunch at Cagney's. Lunch is only offered there for suite guests on ships that don't have a Haven area.

My daughter is also a vegetarian. We ate a Cagney's - I think there was a mushroom appetizer and a vegetarian dinner choice. We also ate at Le Bistro. She really enjoyed the vegetarian option there - it was some sort of a pastry. The worst time was at Tepenyaki where they cooked her mushrooms next to the cooking chicken, so close she didn't eat them for food safety concerns, not just veggie. We reported it to the Ginza manager, apparently the chef was new but it was gross.

Edited by diathoney

I have to be gluten and dairy free along with other foods I can't have. Not sure whether that member eats seafood but Cagneys has for starters lump crab salad, shrimp cocktail, spit pea soup, and for dinner I believe on the menu when I went there was garlic shrimp grilled, sea bass, lobster tail and shrimp and then you have many sides to choose from..baked potato, orzo pilaf, cagney fries, onion rings, roasted mushrooms, steamed broccoli, bean chili casserole, green beans.

Moderno offers a salad bar which is excellent, you will find many types of salads and veggies, shrimp, c eviche and cured meats. (I didn't mention any items that are dairy excluded them)For the main course will be the issue because I feel it is all meat and sides they do have black beans, buttered rice, and fried sweet bananas. My advice is Cagneys would be best.

I would choose Moderno. Salad bar is great and includes two hot soups which she might be able to eat along with everything else at the salad bar. From what I can remember:

Two hot soups, Grilled asparagus, shrimp, corn salad, Roasted eggplant, a beet salad, tofu maybe, Tomato and fresh mozzarella, potato salad, bean salad, artichokes, marinated mushrooms, ceviche, hearts of palm, tuna....and I can't remember what else......in addition, of course to different lettuces for a 'normal' salad. She could still eat the fried bananas, rice and beans and mashed potatoes that are brought to the table for everyone as you can always ask for more of those at anytime.

Enjoy, wherever you go!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Of all the restaurants on the ship, the two mentioned are the steakhouses...

If your husband wants steak, it is also offered at Le Bistro (the best one on the ship, in my opinion) and at La Cucina. You might check out those menus also, to see if they would be better for your daughter. Is she over 12, where she would be paying full price? If so, I'd skip Moderno. I think $20 cover is steep for a salad. (Or maybe you have UDP?)

Thank you for your valued insight. Very clever and very helpful. I don't think Moderno is a steak house, by the way.

:rolleyes:

From NCL's website:

http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/cruise-dining/moderno-churrascaria

Moderno Churrascaria←

Norwegians Samba Into Deliciousness.

If you’re looking for a unique experience, our authentic Brazilian steakhouse is a must. Start with an impressive salad bar of imported cheeses, olives, cured meats, ceviche and specialty salads. Be sure to save room for the delicious skewers of slow-roasted meats including beef, pork, lamb and chicken – all carved tableside by our authentic Pasadores.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

thank you to those who have replied i appreciate the helpful suggestions

my daughter does not eat fish at all and i will as suggested check out the other menus for Le Bistro and La Cucina and see if these would be more suitable

dos anybody know what happens if you book a restaurant and then need to change that reservation at the last moment if the dining venue/ menu cannot accommodate someone with a allergy ?

my daughter does not eat fish at all and i will as suggested check out the other menus for Le Bistro and La Cucina and see if these would be more suitable

dos anybody know what happens if you book a restaurant and then need to change that reservation at the last moment if the dining venue/ menu cannot accommodate someone with a allergy ?

You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance, otherwise, they charge you. Before you book I'd check to see if they CAN accommodate the person with the allergy. OTOH, not all restaurants actually need a reservation if you're willing to have a little leeway in regard to when you wish to eat.

Harriet

You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance, otherwise, they charge you. Before you book I'd check to see if they CAN accommodate the person with the allergy. OTOH, not all restaurants actually need a reservation if you're willing to have a little leeway in regard to when you wish to eat.

Harriet

thank you Harriet this is good to know :)

we know we have to seek out the food and beverage manager on that first day to have some discussion re all of this

For what it's worth, my husband is a die-hard carnivore, and I am a pescetarian (someone who is mostly vegetarian but also includes seafood in their diet, which is not helpful at Moderno since they don't serve seafood). We went to Moderno on the Dawn in October 2012 and they just charged me the kid's price (half off) for the surcharge, which I was very happy with for the salad bar and grilled pineapple. It would be worth checking to see if they had this option, as their salad bar was excellent.

For what it's worth, my husband is a die-hard carnivore, and I am a pescetarian (someone who is mostly vegetarian but also includes seafood in their diet, which is not helpful at Moderno since they don't serve seafood). We went to Moderno on the Dawn in October 2012 and they just charged me the kid's price (half off) for the surcharge, which I was very happy with for the salad bar and grilled pineapple. It would be worth checking to see if they had this option, as their salad bar was excellent.

Oh I forgot all about that. They do offer a reduced price.

Harriet

I understand your dilemma here because as I said before I am so limited in what I can eat. Le Bistro is just as bad as Cagneys for the person who is vegetarian and has dairy issues and doesn't eat meat....I also don't really eat seafood so it makes my eating more limited also.

the Italian Restaurant this person can have brushetta, insalata fresco, minestrone soup, pizza leave out the cheese and ask for meat (I do this as I also can't have cheese but can't have gluten either unless its gluten free pizza lol), and there is a vegetarian lasagna on the menu also. There is a ribeye steak 14 ounce for your husband. I think this steak be a lot better than what he will get at Moderno. I think La Cucina is the best menu for all of you.

Actually, if you do not order an entrée, there is not supposed to be a charge ;)

Perhaps that has changed.

As an RN what I do know is that there are all manner of vegetarians. Vegan, the most strict, do not consume egg or dairy products. Ovo-lacto, as it sounds do consume both. My sister would occasionally consume fish.

I find that many people are not 'allergic' to dairy products but are rather lactose-intolerant, lacking the latase (enzyme) in order to break down the mild sugar, or lactose. Many people become tolerant as they grow up. It helps to take lactase tablets, drink Lactaid milk, acidopholus milk and so on. Often the active culture yogurts are tolerated due to the pro-biotics which help break down the milk sugars.

In true dairy allergy there may be other culprits. I bring the chewable tablets on cruises and can have a dish of ice cream or cream soup/sauce if I like. If I forget, then I will be miserable. Which category does your daughter fall into?

I think the salad bar at Moderno is wonderful. Marinated garbano/kidney beans and other legumes, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, mushrooms, carrots, hearts of palm and several others.

Garlic mashed potatoes, (enquire as to dairy), fried bananas, rice and beans the sides. Most don't know that the cheese rolls are gluten free as they use tapioca flour instead of wheat. Still, with true dairy allergy rather than lactose intolerance this might be another issue.

Desserts at Moderno have egg, milk or gelatin in all three, but the grilled pineapple, the juices caramelized with a hint of brown sugar and cinnamon, is outrageous.

Cagney's has no vegetarian mains and an Arugula Salad that might suit.

Sides such as Steamed Broccoli, Green Beans, Roasted Mushrooms, Onion Rings, Cagney's Fries, Grilled Beetroot and Red Shallots as well as Orzo Pilaf are available.

What does she normally consume for protein? A note sent to NCL at least a month out will provide lots of additional information, including what they can modify so your daughter has a positive, even tasty experience. :)

Edited by kcfoxy

The OP stated that the person who is a vegetarian also can't have dairy so the salad bar potato salad, mozzarella and mashed potatoes is out. I remain to choose Cagneys if the person does eat seafood at least they can get both starters and a main entree.

A vegetarian who eats seafood.......isn't a vegetarian.

thesimplestwaytoaccomadatethe specialdietisto speakwith the maitredandexplainthespecialdietneeds

theycantakecareofthingsbutadvancenoticehelpsalot