Question about upgrades

Scootch

I have heard and read wonderful stories about people getting upgrades. Well, when looking at my online registration, I saw a tab re: upgrades, but unclear of the following:

-Is the upgrade out of my pocket or is it a courtesy of RCCL based on availability?

-When would it be offered; prior to cruise or the day of embarkment?

Thank you and happy sailing!

Edited by Scootch

I have heard and read wonderful stories about people getting upgrades. Well, when looking at my online registration, I saw a tab re: upgrades, but unclear of the following:

-Is the upgrade out of my pocket or is it a courtesy of RCCL based on availability?

-When would it be offered; prior to cruise or the day of embarkment?

Thank you and happy sailing!

The upgrade could be free, or it could cost more. If it costs more, you will be contacted before the upgrade and have to agree to the increased cost.

The upgrade (or upsell) is usually offered a week or two before the cruise. If it's a complementary upgrade, you might not know until yiou get to the pier.

Bear in mind that what you might consider an upgrade and what the cruiseline might consider an upgrade could be two different things.

Agreed! We always get an Oceanview balcony so IMO the only thing that would be better is an suite w/ an oceanview balcony. :p

Thanks all for the info. The key words help, "upgrade" / "upsell."

Where is that "upgrade tab"?

Is it only available if you booked on the website or through RCI? We booked thru a TA and I haven't seen it.

If they offered me a good deal, even on an upsell - I'd be thrilled!

Under the Profile Section, Upgrade Preferences.

Where is that "upgrade tab"?

Is it only available if you booked on the website or through RCI? We booked thru a TA and I haven't seen it.

If they offered me a good deal, even on an upsell - I'd be thrilled!

It is a button on the C&A site. Does not matter if you book direct or with TA

Not sure if this is a true upgrade as their was some cost involved, but this is my experience. I booked an interior stateroom on Oasis in Sept for sailing next month. Myself & my two teenage DDs. My husband couldn't come because of timing with work.

Following along in cruise critic I learned Club Royale VIP could get a discount. I was able to upgrade to OV balcony for same price as interior. Last Saturday my husband was able to clear his schedule and when I called to add him, I was offered a junior suite guarantee for the same price as adding him to our balcony room so I took that.

I just checked my account to see if my room had been assigned and I have been assigned a grand suite! First time in a suite. I am keeping it a surprise for the family.

Mary

Not sure if this is a true upgrade as their was some cost involved, but this is my experience. I booked an interior stateroom on Oasis in Sept for sailing next month. Myself & my two teenage DDs. My husband couldn't come because of timing with work.

Following along in cruise critic I learned Club Royale VIP could get a discount. I was able to upgrade to OV balcony for same price as interior. Last Saturday my husband was able to clear his schedule and when I called to add him, I was offered a junior suite guarantee for the same price as adding him to our balcony room so I took that.

I just checked my account to see if my room had been assigned and I have been assigned a grand suite! First time in a suite. I am keeping it a surprise for the family.

Mary

That will be very nice for you and your family.:) Be sure to take advantage of the new suites lounge and Coastal Kitchen up in Viking Crown.